Problems with the POA Deck Plans and NCL Representatives

Midnight Blue

Because we want to see several of the Hawaiian Islands - our goal is the Islands. This was the cheapest way for 4 people to do it.

My expectation of buffet food is not any higher on POA than any other place that has a buffet (however I am looking forward to the fresh pineapple). I don't gamble, and I am not on the ship to see shows, swim in pools etc. I want to sit out on my lanai in the evenings and morning and enjoy the scenery.

Many people that have sailed POA have done so numerous times, some appear to go almost every year. Can't be all that bad, right?

I think you will be very happy on POA. We got off yesterday and had an awesome time. The buffet was fine. We only saw one show and it wasn't the greatest, but I wanted to see at least one on board. We didn't do much on board other than eating breakfast every morning(usually at cagneys), using the fitness center a few times, and hot tubs and pool once or twice. This itinerary keeps you off the ship most of the time. We especially enjoyed relaxing on our balcony. Unfortunately it was pouring rain and clouds so thick that we couldn't see NaPali coast :(. We had some issues with our room and our butler was pretty much non-existent, but we had a great time regardless. Enjoy!!!

That would be great if you could post some pics. Thank You !

Enjoy your trip :)

The concierge didn't want to help me, so we took it upon ourselves to talk to someone in one of the suites on deck 13 overlooking the pool and ask if we could take some pictures (creepy I know but I was on a mission). A couple drinks was all they wanted for their "trouble" and up we went. Pictures are of suite 13520. ImageUploadedByForums1386571357.350386.jpg.059c4709378312c41d90601c8cc98194.jpg view from balcony

ImageUploadedByForums1386571428.602318.jpg.2eaee4935205195fe05276b6ee9333e8.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1386571479.492218.jpg.7439febf643c752685410364869bb82a.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1386571528.758576.jpg.91b79f85b317f175c18f69ca7391bb9d.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1386571578.755166.jpg.d1d95c4de5628cbb4d7a63343e2b7d09.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1386571608.467165.jpg.0082d035a77962162867e0cb4c1d1f0e.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1386571650.660975.jpg.078074db25d55c0441c1aad54248dcf8.jpg

I actually liked the view from the balcony and listening to the band play and smelling the barbecue reminded me of our upper balcony on the garden villa on the Dawn. It is just one big open room though with a curtain that pulled around the bed, so that may not appeal to some people.

[ATTACH]295125[/ATTACH]

This is 13000 balcony! It is huge!!! It does wrap a bit around the side so you will be able to see. I never saw anyone on either that balcony or13500 when we were up there...hope you enjoy it!!

[ATTACH]295126[/ATTACH]

Thanks a million for the pictures !!! I really appreciate it. .

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...
Well, progress may be glacially slow, but it is now SEPTEMBER 24th, 2013, many months after the dry dock (and probably more than a year from approval of construction plan approval), and - importantly - more than two weeks after paying customers actually sailed in these new suites (and who knows how many have reserved AND PAID for future cruises - and perhaps incurred other related expenses such as airfare, etc.):

Finally, the online description of the Deluxe Owners Suite bears some semblance to reality:

"Living room with double sofa bed, baby grand piano, CD/DVD library, two TVs, dining room, private balcony with hot tub and dining area, separate bedroom with king-size bed and walk-in-closet, luxury bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower and guest bathroom. Butler service and concierge available."

Finally, no mention of the phantom second bedroom.

(I'm not sure the still-listed single "separate bedroom" would qualify under any realistic understanding of "SEPARATE bedroom", because the floor plan doesn't show any type of divider whatsoever from the living/dining room areas, but certainly the floor plan could still be incorrect. Bed appears to be a couple of feet from the DR table. At least the bathroom does seem to have a proper wall/door type divider :eek: And having trouble finding that "walk in closet" - the guest bathroom, perhaps?)

IT TOOK LONG ENOUGH.

GeezerCouple

Not knowing this thread was here I started a new one and someone referred me to this. This problem is not fixed! We reserved a two bedroom, two bath family suite and were placed in a one room, one bath suite. When I went to check the picture of layout of the cabin currently associated with our cabin number it still shows the two bedroom!!! This problem is months old; it only takes weeks to change artwork and update websites. So far the corporate response has just been evasive, however I'm hoping for a satisfactory resolution. I have trouble understand why they couldn't have just refunded the difference in prices between the suites, other than the fact they'd have to take a hit on their bottom line.

Not knowing this thread was here I started a new one and someone referred me to this. This problem is not fixed! We reserved a two bedroom, two bath family suite and were placed in a one room, one bath suite. When I went to check the picture of layout of the cabin currently associated with our cabin number it still shows the two bedroom!!! This problem is months old; it only takes weeks to change artwork and update websites. So far the corporate response has just been evasive, however I'm hoping for a satisfactory resolution. I have trouble understand why they couldn't have just refunded the difference in prices between the suites, other than the fact they'd have to take a hit on their bottom line.

Checked back on the other thread to see how things finally worked out, if at all! It sure seems like you got sold a bill of goods and the only one who paid for it was you. You certainly have every reason to expect a 2 bdrm 2 bath cabin to cost more than a 1 bdrm and with children you needed both bedrooms!

I am so sorry this happened but hope your family still had a great time.....do check back in and let us know how things work out!

Unfortunately, this problem continues to this day (12/22/13).

We have booked POA for next March. We would have preferred a Penthouse with large balcony, but none were left, so we went for an Owner's Suite, SC cabin 11000. When we received our confirmation, the cabin was listed as a "Penthouse with Large balcony" and the square footage shown was considerably less than the Owners Suite, although the class of cabin was correctly shown as SC, and the money we paid was considerably more than the price for a Penthouse.

If you look on the NCL website, deck plans for POA, there are no Owner's suites listed on Deck 11. Just Penthouses. However, the Penthouses are not SC category, and if you look for an SC category, you'll find it listed as an Owner's suite.

My DW got on the phone with NCL today, and encountered the same kind of confusion as has been mentioned above. The rep put her on hold for a long time "to check," and when she came back, she said because the ship had been refurbished, many of the deck plans and cabin descriptions were no longer accurate. She assured us we were in an Owner's suite...I guess now we'll have to wait and see, since we've just made the final payment on the cruise.

You'd think that - in this computer driven day and age - NCL would realize how important it is to have their website kept up to date. This is more true when you realize that it's now been 4 months since the refurbishment...plenty of time to rebuild the website.

Edited by VideoTech

Unfortunately, this problem continues to this day (12/22/13).

We have booked POA for next March. We would have preferred a Penthouse with large balcony, but none were left, so we went for an Owner's Suite, SC cabin 11000. When we received our confirmation, the cabin was listed as a "Penthouse with Large balcony" and the square footage shown was considerably less than the Owners Suite, although the class of cabin was correctly shown as SC, and the money we paid was considerably more than the price for a Penthouse.

If you look on the NCL website, deck plans for POA, there are no Owner's suites listed on Deck 11. Just Penthouses. However, the Penthouses are not SC category, and if you look for an SC category, you'll find it listed as an Owner's suite.

My DW got on the phone with NCL today, and encountered the same kind of confusion as has been mentioned above. The rep put her on hold for a long time "to check," and when she came back, she said because the ship had been refurbished, many of the deck plans and cabin descriptions were no longer accurate. She assured us we were in an Owner's suite...I guess now we'll have to wait and see, since we've just made the final payment on the cruise.

You'd think that - in this computer driven day and age - NCL would realize how important it is to have their website kept up to date. This is more true when you realize that it's now been 4 months since the refurbishment...plenty of time to rebuild the website.

Go read the other thread posted by the poster on post 129... If you purchased a 2 bdrm 2 bath and think you are getting that, you are in for a bad surprise!

Don't wait and see take action now! I believe it is a single cabin with one bath now... I don't even believe the bedroom is separated from the rest of the living space!

Go read the other thread posted by the poster on post 129... If you purchased a 2 bdrm 2 bath and think you are getting that, you are in for a bad surprise!

Don't wait and see take action now! I believe it is a single cabin with one bath now... I don't even believe the bedroom is separated from the rest of the living space!

No, we booked an Owner's suite, category SC: One bedroom, separated from the rest of the cabin, and a larger living area. Larger bathroom with two sinks and a separate shower and tub. This is what the floor plan for the category shows, and that agrees with the Owner's suite we had on the Pearl.

We normally stay in Penthouses, and these typically do not have the separate bedroom - the cabin is one large room with the bed in the same room as the living furniture.

We have been assured by NCL that what we have is an Owner's suite, and if the floor plan as shown is correct, then we believe the issue is that the NCL website is not correct.

However, the only way to know for sure is to find someone who has stayed in this cabin since the ship was refurbished. Maybe I'll post a question to that effect.

No, we booked an Owner's suite, category SC: One bedroom, separated from the rest of the cabin, and a larger living area. Larger bathroom with two sinks and a separate shower and tub. This is what the floor plan for the category shows, and that agrees with the Owner's suite we had on the Pearl.

We normally stay in Penthouses, and these typically do not have the separate bedroom - the cabin is one large room with the bed in the same room as the living furniture.

We have been assured by NCL that what we have is an Owner's suite, and if the floor plan as shown is correct, then we believe the issue is that the NCL website is not correct.

However, the only way to know for sure is to find someone who has stayed in this cabin since the ship was refurbished. Maybe I'll post a question to that effect.

It has been awhile since I read through this thread as it has unfolded over some time.

I'm working from memory here, but as this debacle unfolded, I'm pretty sure that some rooms that were a different/lower category were changed to SB Owner's Suites and thus were "created" (or it might have been DOS that were created). I know I and another poster mentioned something about it when that happened.

Do you have the actual room number you booked? I think in the other thread you had it was 11000 so your thread looking for current pictures is probably your best bet to get an accurate answer as NCL hasn't seemed to been able to do that for you or the others here. Sorry not much help, I just recall how this unfolded and NCL's solution was to try to fit square pegs in round holes with category designations.

It has been awhile since I read through this thread as it has unfolded over some time.

I'm working from memory here, but as this debacle unfolded, I'm pretty sure that some rooms that were a different/lower category were changed to SB Owner's Suites and thus were "created" (or it might have been DOS that were created). I know I and another poster mentioned something about it when that happened.

Do you have the actual room number you booked? I think in the other thread you had it was 11000 so your thread looking for current pictures is probably your best bet to get an accurate answer as NCL hasn't seemed to been able to do that for you or the others here. Sorry not much help, I just recall how this unfolded and NCL's solution was to try to fit square pegs in round holes with category designations.

I'm beginning to think that some "renaming" is what NCL has done. One other websites, this cabin is listed as a "Deluxe Penthouse." I think NCL has simply renamed it to an "Owner's Suite."

Nonetheless, if the layout has a separate bedroom, and a larger bathroom, we'll be fine with that - it's what we expect from an owner's suite. I suspect the square footage in this particular cabin (11000) will in fact be somewhat less than an OS on a higher deck, but we'll be ok with that.

We will not be ok with it if we arrive on the ship and find we're in what we consider a Penthouse layout (Deluxe or otherwise) when we've paid for an OS!

I'm beginning to think that some "renaming" is what NCL has done. One other websites, this cabin is listed as a "Deluxe Penthouse." I think NCL has simply renamed it to an "Owner's Suite."

Nonetheless, if the layout has a separate bedroom, and a larger bathroom, we'll be fine with that - it's what we expect from an owner's suite. I suspect the square footage in this particular cabin (11000) will in fact be somewhat less than an OS on a higher deck, but we'll be ok with that.

We will not be ok with it if we arrive on the ship and find we're in what we consider a Penthouse layout (Deluxe or otherwise) when we've paid for an OS!

I'll have to do a bit more looking as I referenced that there was some discussion on this thread about the renaming but it may have been another thread. I know a couple of the posters on here had created other posts but this was the longest of all of them discussing the issues.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Has anyone stayed in 13004? The NCL information is very vague.

I don't think we have, but what I discovered on our last NCL cruise was that ships have phone numbers and you can call them direct if you can find the number. I don't think that the regular customer service reps have any idea what the cabins really look like.

Good luck!