Gate1 Travel Danube River Cruise + Prague & Budapest

klouie2000

Hello,

I returned from a 14-Day Gate1 Travel Danube River Cruise in September. I finally had time to write something about my travel preparation, arriving in Prague, and the Prague land tour portion. If you are interested, you can go to my blog or ask a questions here.

http://www.avcr8teur.blogspot.com/2014/10/gate1-travels-14-day-danube-river.html

I am hoping to write more about the cruise itself in future posts.

Thank you for reading,

Karen

Hi Champmason,

Thank you for your response. I am glad to hear my write up was informative. I will definitely write more soon.

Have fun on your upcoming trip!

I am looking forward to reading more of your review which includes the cruising portion of your trip. I leave on my 2nd land tour with Gate 1 in a few weeks and was very impressed with the land tours!

Hi Mareporter,

I am glad to hear the posts are helpful! I hope to have another post up in a few days. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Have a great time!

- Karen

Karen, I'm leaving on this trip Oct 22, would love to hear more- this has been so helpful!

My newest post about Gate1's Amadeus Royal boat and river cruise adventure is up.

http://avcr8teur.blogspot.com/2014/10/gate1-amadeus-royal.html

I also scanned in copies of cruise's daily schedule programs.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pr7560bfmp6ic4j/AAD6Sc83Rni6ngEJUQvsVhTDa?dl=0

I hope you find this helpful for your future trip. Thanks for reading...

- Karen

IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_7022.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

Hi Michelle,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am glad my time wasn't wasted.

Peeking at the Daily Schedules kind of ruins the surprise, but it helps you plan your time. ;)

Have fun and I hope to hear about your trip when you return!

- Karen

Karen, Thanks so much for posting the daily program schedule as well as your latest report--it was so useful. Making me even more excited about my upcoming trip. Michelle

• 1 month later...

We are doing this trip the end of September 2015. Thank you so much for the review.

You wrote that you arranged for a car upon arrival to the airport in Prague. Did Gate 1 not meet you there for the transfer to your hotel? It was my understanding that they did all the transfers.

This will be our second tour with Gate 1. We did a 16 day tour of China and Tibet September 2013 and it was a trip of a lifetime!

Our ship on the Danube will be the MS Sound of Music. I am thinking it will be similar to the one you were on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello Cabinluvn,

We purchased our own airfare so I think that's why Gate1 didn't meet us at the airport and we did not buy an airport transfer through Gate1. The car through Prague Airport Transfer was half the price of Gate1's.

You will have a great time! We will definitely go with Gate1 again in the future.

- Karen

We are doing this trip the end of September 2015. Thank you so much for the review.

You wrote that you arranged for a car upon arrival to the airport in Prague. Did Gate 1 not meet you there for the transfer to your hotel? It was my understanding that they did all the transfers.

This will be our second tour with Gate 1. We did a 16 day tour of China and Tibet September 2013 and it was a trip of a lifetime!

Our ship on the Danube will be the MS Sound of Music. I am thinking it will be similar to the one you were on

I am interested in how you handled money. Did everyone take euros or did you have to get local money in each country?

Also, thinking ahead to walking shoes, were there uneven walking areas, such as cobblestone streets? I have foot problems and can wear only certain shoes for long distance walking.

Thanks

Hello cabinluvn,

I did not order any foreign currencies ahead of time and instead brought my ATM card with me. If you will be traveling to Prague, you will need Korunas, in Germany/Austria you will need Euros, and in Budapest you will need Forints.

If you also plan to use an ATM card, verify with your bank about its foreign transaction & ATM fees beforehand. And, let them know which countries you will be visiting so your card will work overseas. The overseas ATM machines I used lets you do your transactions in English, fairly easy to use, and located in many tourist spots you will be visiting.

As for shoes, yes, wear something comfortable as there are many cobblestone streets. If you want to wear something fancier for the dining room, bring a second pair.

I hope this answers your questions.

I am interested in how you handled money. Did everyone take euros or did you have to get local money in each country?

Also, thinking ahead to walking shoes, were there uneven walking areas, such as cobblestone streets? I have foot problems and can wear only certain shoes for long distance walking.

Thanks

Thanks so much for your response. I am nervous about using my ATM card. We alway take the local currency with us, but being in several different countries with different currencies makes that difficult. Did you incur transaction fees? We're the ATMs readily available? Even though it is almost a year away, we are really pay he's about the trip!

Any other tips you can give me would me greatly appreciated

Thanks

Joan

• 2 months later...

I just read your post as I was thinking of booking this cruise in 2016 for my husband and I. We normally do the large cruises (Princess) but wanted to try a River cruise for a change. It looks like you enjoyed Gate1 for their Eastern European trip. Thank you for the information, it will help me decide.

Joyce:)