Did I say I live with a difficult person?

EmmasNana

So, the basics are I have nonrefundable airfare through american booked and paid for to Ireland for me and the husband in June. NOW, he says he does not want to go...holy crap i have everything booked. Did I say I lived with Rainman before.

I THINK that I can do a change??? for $250 pp since it is not domestic? Is this correct?

Take me! I love Ireland :)

Without knowing the exact details of your flight it would probably be best to call and find out exactly what your options are. For my last American Flight that I had to cancel it was $100 for each way ($200 total). I now have a credit of the balance of my fare that I can use for a flight within the next year. My flight was domestic so different rules may apply.

Good luck... and seriously, I'd go to Ireland (just don't tell my wife :eek:).

Don't know what ticket you booked or what the change fee will really be. Depends on where you booked the ticket. I have seen CheapOAir as high as $400 so can't be much help. So did you book direct off the AA website or someplace else?

But I was married to the same person (or at least I think I was). 10 days before a Cunard TA fully paid for including using a lot of miles for FC air, he decided that the college Bowl games were more important. It was a MAJOR fight. Yes, you are going (ME) NO I'M NOT (him).

It was just a lucky break that the cruise was WELL oversold. Cunard called, said they would give us back ALL our money IMMEDIATELY if we would give up our cabin plus goodies for future cruise or OBC. We stayed home and watched football.

He passed away in February. I am still kicking myself in the butt that I didn't just get on that plane, not have a MAJOR fight and let each one of us enjoy what we REALLY wanted to do. IF Cunard had not come through with the bucks, I would REALLY be kicking myself in the butt because I would have stood my ground, FORCED him to do something he really didn't want to do and then both of us would have been miserable.

GO BY YOURSELF if it comes down to that. Be thankful for that husband who stayed home doing what he wanted to do. I sure miss mine!!!!

So, the basics are I have nonrefundable airfare through american booked and paid for to Ireland for me and the husband in June. NOW, he says he does not want to go...holy crap i have everything booked. Did I say I lived with Rainman before.

I THINK that I can do a change??? for $250 pp since it is not domestic? Is this correct?

You really need to call AA. It all depends on the fare rules for each leg that were combined into your itinerary. From AA's website:

Change Charge (Formerly ASC) / Penalty Information

• Change charges/penalties may vary by markets and fare basis types. Always consult the fare rules before quoting the change charges/penalties.

• When booking different fare types that are combinable, be aware that the fare with the most restrictive rules applies. Please note that change charges/penalties are not considered restrictions.

• Change charges/penalties are published in conjunction with each fare basis. If several different fares are used to construct an itinerary, it is feasible that each leg of travel may have a different change charges/penalty.

Even the more "user friendly" fee chart doesn't give a pat answer: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aacom_services_charges.jsp (Look at the last entry at the bottom of the table). Keep in mind the fee is per person. Let us know what the answer turns out to be in your case.

Edited by kenish

Take me! I love Ireland :)

Without knowing the exact details of your flight it would probably be best to call and find out exactly what your options are. For my last American Flight that I had to cancel it was $100 for each way ($200 total). I now have a credit of the balance of my fare that I can use for a flight within the next year. My flight was domestic so different rules may apply.

Good luck... and seriously, I'd go to Ireland (just don't tell my wife :eek:).

Ha Ha! Leaving June 15!

Don't know what ticket you booked or what the change fee will really be. Depends on where you booked the ticket. I have seen CheapOAir as high as $400 so can't be much help. So did you book direct off the AA website or someplace else?

But I was married to the same person (or at least I think I was). 10 days before a Cunard TA fully paid for including using a lot of miles for FC air, he decided that the college Bowl games were more important. It was a MAJOR fight. Yes, you are going (ME) NO I'M NOT (him).

It was just a lucky break that the cruise was WELL oversold. Cunard called, said they would give us back ALL our money IMMEDIATELY if we would give up our cabin plus goodies for future cruise or OBC. We stayed home and watched football.

He passed away in February. I am still kicking myself in the butt that I didn't just get on that plane, not have a MAJOR fight and let each one of us enjoy what we REALLY wanted to do. IF Cunard had not come through with the bucks, I would REALLY be kicking myself in the butt because I would have stood my ground, FORCED him to do something he really didn't want to do and then both of us would have been miserable.

GO BY YOURSELF if it comes down to that. Be thankful for that husband who stayed home doing what he wanted to do. I sure miss mine!!!!

I am very thankful to have him and very sorry for your loss. I feel that in the future I likely will travel without him if he chooses not to go. He isn't so opposed to going to Ireland, it is just other things have gone up on his bucket list. He wants to spend the money on a European river cruise instead. I would prefer to do both.:D

You really need to call AA. It all depends on the fare rules for each leg that were combined into your itinerary. From AA's website:

Change Charge (Formerly ASC) / Penalty Information

• Change charges/penalties may vary by markets and fare basis types. Always consult the fare rules before quoting the change charges/penalties.

• When booking different fare types that are combinable, be aware that the fare with the most restrictive rules applies. Please note that change charges/penalties are not considered restrictions.

• Change charges/penalties are published in conjunction with each fare basis. If several different fares are used to construct an itinerary, it is feasible that each leg of travel may have a different change charges/penalty.

Even the more "user friendly" fee chart doesn't give a pat answer: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aacom_services_charges.jsp (Look at the last entry at the bottom of the table). Keep in mind the fee is per person. Let us know what the answer turns out to be in your case.

Okay, thanks. I will report back.

I had a domestic flight once and the flight was changed to a 2 or 3 hour difference for arrival time. American let me cancel my non refundable ticket and returned all my money. They did try to get me to take another flight but I went with Delta as they had a cheaper fare. Do you think the same would apply in this case? The flight isn't until June and maybe I should wait to see if the times get changed between now and then?

Okay, thanks. I will report back.

I had a domestic flight once and the flight was changed to a 2 or 3 hour difference for arrival time. American let me cancel my non refundable ticket and returned all my money. They did try to get me to take another flight but I went with Delta as they had a cheaper fare. Do you think the same would apply in this case? The flight isn't until June and maybe I should wait to see if the times get changed between now and then?

In the table I provided the link for, note it says "voluntary". In your case it's clearly voluntary. A 2 hour schedule change initiated by the airline is a gray area but they usually consider it *involuntary*.

I thought your intent is to cancel your husband's reservation and use the ticket credit for future travel. If a schedule change does occur they'd wonder why you want to get a refund for your husband's ticket while yours is OK as-is (assuming you're on the same PNR). If your strategy is to wait for a possible schedule change I would *not* tip my hand by asking the airline about change fees. There will be a record of your previous inquiry that will undermine your case for an involuntary change.

From personal experience, AA schedule changes are uncommon but with the merger, who knows?

In the table I provided the link for, note it says "voluntary". In your case it's clearly voluntary. A 2 hour schedule change initiated by the airline is a gray area but they usually consider it *involuntary*.

I thought your intent is to cancel your husband's reservation and use the ticket credit for future travel. If a schedule change does occur they'd wonder why you want to get a refund for your husband's ticket while yours is OK as-is (assuming you're on the same PNR). If your strategy is to wait for a possible schedule change I would *not* tip my hand by asking the airline about change fees. There will be a record of your previous inquiry that will undermine your case for an involuntary change.

From personal experience, AA schedule changes are uncommon but with the merger, who knows?

I would cancel for both of us at the same time, if we do end up canceling. My plan is to wait until a few days before the trip and then cancel if there has not been a change of schedule.

Thanks for letting me know about the inquiry tip. I will not call them. I'll just keep checking and when the time comes, just deal with whatever hand I am dealt.

If/when I cancel do I need to have a flight I want to book using whatever funds I may end up with?