Anybody around from 1957 voyage

danbo

By coincidence I had an e-maail this morning from a fellow in Florida wwho sailed NY to Rotterdam in GROOTE BEER and then returned to NY in WATERMAN. He has asked me to make a painting of the two ships passing in mid North Atrlantic. When finished... around Christmas, I will post a photo of the completed piece.

Stephen

Something for us all to look forward to, Stephen. I'll be looking for your cats in April on the Westerdam.:)

Thank you so much looking up our family Borge Esk-- i am also writing a biography, is there any way you could photocopy the passenger list and put on here as attachment, it would be fantastic for us old emigrants to show the family, i started this in 2008 and cant belive the histories we hear, thanks Borge, ps in the meantime we just keep on cruising

Thank you so much looking up our family Borge Esk-- i am also writing a biography, is there any way you could photocopy the passenger list and put on here as attachment, it would be fantastic for us old emigrants to show the family, i started this in 2008 and cant belive the histories we hear, thanks Borge, ps in the meantime we just keep on cruising

Yes, please post the passenger list. I don't think we will be able to get it any other way.

As far as I know we were there a short time, the new ship was the Zuiderkruis a replica from the Waterman, the passengers got the same cabins because they were 2 sisterships.Zuiderkruis was suppose to go to Australia but those passengers had to wait till the Waterman was repaired.

I dont know what date we arrived in Hallifax.

I have a paperclipping from the newspaper showing both ships alongside. I have to look for it first.

ettyb

Thanks so much!

Just looking at our landing cards from then, we arrived on march 25 in 1957, i was 23 years old now i am 80 hard to belive, of course after halifax we had a 6 day train ride to vancouver with our infant son, no sleeper or diner, the goverment paid for our trip as they needed trades people, we paid it back in 2 years interest free, but it was pretty spartan, we had 25 dollars left when we arrived in vancouver, but heck we were young, cheers Borge

• 7 years later...

Kalman, Viktoria & Gizella Takacs came from Holland possibly Rotterdam or Amsterdam to Halifax NS. Canada in 1957 do s anyone know which ships sailed? Or are passenger manifest available anywhere?

• Like 1

Here you find many many  passenger lists of Holland Amerika Lijn

https://stadsarchief.rotterdam.nl/zoek-en-ontdek/passagierslijsten/zoeken-op-passagiers/?mizig=231

and here I choose for departure port of Rotterdam and ss Waterman

https://stadsarchief.rotterdam.nl/zoek-en-ontdek/passagierslijsten/zoeken-op-passagiers/?mivast=184&mizig=231&miadt=184&miamount=20&mistart=0&micols=1&milang=nl&miview=tbl&mif1=Rotterdam&mif2=Rotterdam&misort=last_mod|asc&mif3=Waterman

you can search for the passenger name 

After sending this message, I will look for other archives you could possibly use.  Enjoy. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2014 at 12:07 AM, jandenharder said:

Thank you for the copies. I have enjoyed reading the posts and learning more about my family story!

In the Rotterdam archives (see link I just sent) you will easily find members of the den Harder family. for example P den Harder sailed in May 1952 on the ss Waterman. By clicking on his name you will find a list of fellow passengers and by scrolling down you will see the original handwritten passsengerlists (like the ones I wrote them in the sixties 🙂 ).   O, I forgot: the den Harder who sailed in May 1957, sailed on the Groote Beer, sistership of the ss Waterman.

Edited by MAVIP
forgot to mention a family member...
  • Like 1