Anybody around from 1957 voyage

danbo

Just wondering if by chance anybody was onboard Hal's ss Waterman in March 1957. We were emigrants from Denmark who went from Rotterdam in Holland to Halifax Canada, we had a collision in the middle of the atlanic ocean, had to go back and start all over, finally made it to Vancouver after 20 days, so anybody remember? cheers Danbo

My dad was on the ship when he emigrated to Canada in 1957. I've heard the story about the collision many times from him over the years and it is very interesting and which is why I searched it up online and pleasantly surprised to read about others who were on this voyage as well. The story was always interesting to me and when dad would tell me the story the imagery always made me think about the titanic but of course with much better results. My father was one of the Hungarian immigrants. We now live here in southern California. I'm going to tell dad about this site. Very interesting.

By any chance, does anyone know where I can find a passenger list of the Waterman during the time of this collision. Our family name is Kalman, and my name is Louis JR of course. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Interesting reading. Did anyone notice that in the second account of the collision that the writer said that they were told to go to their lifeboats and "... we had collided with an Italian freighter. We had practiced this drill every day and each cabin and room had it designated escape route."

Very interesting, that they practiced the drill every day. Many of us complain these days that we have to take 20-30 minutes at the beginning of our cruise for a safety drill.

Edited by sandthrush

My parents emigrated from the Netherlands in 1962. While I was in Halifax (on a Canada/NE cruise) we visited the Pier 21 museum. It's a fascinating place. It's the Canadian version of Ellis Island.

They had a lot of good information about each of the ships that brought immigrants to Canada. I noticed on their site that they have a research option. Perhaps you could find more information through them.

Good luck!

http://www.pier21.ca/home/

This thread is absolutely fascinating to me. I hadn't heard about the ship.

Thank you, Tisoy909, for bringing the thread back to life.

[i was also interested to note from Himself's post that we are almost the same age. I always enjoy the Reverend's posts.]

Edited by NMLady

We recently returned from a Canada/New England cruise that stopped in Halifax. We went to Pier 21, we had purchased my mother a brick on the Sobey's Wall of Rembrance. While there we were told that the Italian and Dutch immigrants make up the largest portion of Pier 21's visitors.

Very interesting thread. My inlaws (MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL) all sailed to Canada from Rotterdam on the Groote Beer in 1955. I have a photo of the ship and another photo of them on deck leaving Rotterdam. Another BIL sailed from Rdam 1953ish, and the ship was hit by a rogue wave. Not too sure which ship that was though.

1202461995_ShipDeck.jpg.5e9343aa3bbe72a9de5294b237aaef34.jpg

• 3 months later...
By any chance, does anyone know where I can find a passenger list of the Waterman during the time of this collision. Our family name is Kalman, and my name is Louis JR of course. Thanks to everyone in advance.

I was on this ship in 1957 during the collision. I have a copy of the passenger list and there is a L. Kalman on it.

ettyb

Thanks for reminding me about the painting. If I remember the client decided to wait for another time.

There were three of those ships in the HAL fleet. Lots of passengers have sailed in them.... perhaps I should paint it ahead anyway. Why not!

Here is another recent HAL painting... well, with Nieuw Amsterdam with the KLM Constellation 'Utrecht' c. 1947.

Stephen

972030661_WINDJAMMERIINo.1UTRECHTKLMSN2014.jpgsml.jpg.91c5ad14fa5b5c6175b512e80431f182.jpg

This is Danbo, i was the one that started this thing about our voyage in 1957, i am grateful for all the replys, i see know that someone have a passenger list from that cruise, i been looking for it, but had no luck, i wonder if you could check the name i will give you the partial name, the first name is Borge the last name start with Esk:, somone ask if we got compensation, No, and we were young and did not know about those things, but we did not care we could take care of our own and we did, i started my own painting business in 1960 and we retired in 2003, we have 5 Sons 9 grandchildren 3 great grand children, our sons all have their own business, one grandson is a RCMP officer, we are very proud of our family. thanks, Borge

Fantastic! So that would be my mother, father, brother and sister. I am Jan of course. Is there any way I could get a copy electronically or otherwise. I would be happy to compensate you for your time. I am putting together photos, stories etc... to give to my family.

I was 6 months old when we left. I assume from Rotterdam? My sister was three years old, and my brother 5 years old.

Edited by jandenharder

I'm curious

1.) After going to Brest France after the collision, how long were we there before we got a new ship?

2.) What was the new ships name? What date did we finally arrive in Halifax?

3.) Does anyone have a photo of the arrival in Halifax?

Edited by jandenharder

This is Danbo, i was the one that started this thing about our voyage in 1957, i am grateful for all the replys, i see know that someone have a passenger list from that cruise, i been looking for it, but had no luck, i wonder if you could check the name i will give you the partial name, the first name is Borge the last name start with Esk:, somone ask if we got compensation, No, and we were young and did not know about those things, but we did not care we could take care of our own and we did, i started my own painting business in 1960 and we retired in 2003, we have 5 Sons 9 grandchildren 3 great grand children, our sons all have their own business, one grandson is a RCMP officer, we are very proud of our family. thanks, Borge

There is a Borge on the list and the last name starts indeed with Esk. Mr. mrs and master

Edited by ettyb

I'm curious

1.) After going to Brest France after the collision, how long were we there before we got a new ship?

2.) What was the new ships name? What date did we finally arrive in Halifax?

3.) Does anyone have a photo of the arrival in Halifax?

As far as I know we were there a short time, the new ship was the Zuiderkruis a replica from the Waterman, the passengers got the same cabins because they were 2 sisterships.Zuiderkruis was suppose to go to Australia but those passengers had to wait till the Waterman was repaired.

I dont know what date we arrived in Hallifax.

I have a paperclipping from the newspaper showing both ships alongside. I have to look for it first.

ettyb