Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Antigua

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What to wear on land/beach tours?

What do people wear on the tours that include both land sites and beach?

Swimsuits under your clothes? Do women wear shorts and t-shirt over their swimsuit or some kind of coverup? Do men just wear their swimsuits and a t-shirt?

Thanks for your help!

UMTerp

Old January 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=UMTerp;27639569]What do people wear on the tours that include both land sites and beach?

Swimsuits under your clothes? Do women wear shorts and t-shirt over their swimsuit or some kind of coverup? Do men just wear their swimsuits and a t-shirt?

Thanks for your help!

UMTerp[/qu
In our family the guy's wear their trunks and a t-shirt, and us girls wear swimsuits under a cover up or t-shirt and shorts. Sometimes the tankini tops don't need a shirt since they look like a tank top or halter top. Keep in mind it is very humid and hot so the lighter the clothes the better.

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for confirming my initial thoughts and your recommendation about tankini tops!

UMTerp

Old January 25th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

A lightweight longsleeve button-up SPF fishing shirt is a great choice, too. They come in both men's and women's sizes, are cooler and more versatile than t-shirts, rinse out and dry quickly, and afford protection in all types of weather.

Old January 29th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

antigua is a christian society and it is recommend that women cover there swim wear with a t-shirt and shorts or a cover -up and men wear a shirt and shorts at all time

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone! I will look into the fishing shirts.

UMTerp

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

MYTIME53 is so right!!

I can only take so much sun and the SPF-wear found at Columbia stores is PERFECT for the Caribbean. It is very light and comfy yet provides as high as 50-SPF. I have a super cute robin's egg blue with roll-up sleeves. I like to wear it with my bikini top and a pair of shorts. Much better for the sun-sensitive than a tank or halter alone.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Everyone on our tour wore shorts and t-shirts or sundresses over their swim suits. No problems.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bholling View Post
MYTIME53 is so right!!

I can only take so much sun and the SPF-wear found at Columbia stores is PERFECT for the Caribbean. It is very light and comfy yet provides as high as 50-SPF. I have a super cute robin's egg blue with roll-up sleeves. I like to wear it with my bikini top and a pair of shorts. Much better for the sun-sensitive than a tank or halter alone.

Reading about the Caribbean for our November cruise. But we are going to the Eastern Meditteranean in May and I am wondering if you think this type of shirt would be good for that cruise also. I've been reading is will be hot and sunny in Turkey and Greece.

Jun 1997: Celebrity, Zenith-------------------Bermuda
Nov 2003: Celebrity, Constellation-----------Southern Caribbean
Aug 2004: Celebrity, Century-----------------Western Caribbean
Feb 2006: Celebrity, Galaxy-------------------Panama Canal
Jun 2007: Avalon Waterways, Tranquility----Eurpoean River Cruise
Sep 2007: Celebrity, Constellation-----------Canada / New England
Jun 2008: Celebrity, Millennium--------------Alaska
Feb 2010: Celebrity, Equinox-----------------Caribbean
Apr 2010: RCI, Explorer of the Ses-----------Bermuda / Bahamas
May 2011: Celebrity, Equinox-----------------Eastern Mediterranean Cruisetour
Nov 2011: Celebrity, Silhouette---------------Eastern Caribbean
Feb 2013: Celebrity, Eclipse-------------------Exotic Southern Caribbean
Oct 2013: Celebrity, Century------------------Hawaii
April 2014: Celebrity, Infinity-----------------Panama Canal

Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

For Greece and Turkey you might want a travel shirt (a little classier looking than the actual fishing shirts--fewer pockets). There are many brands out there at different prices...I would definitely go with the more expensive name brands (but find them on sale) because the cut is better, so is more comfortable. Take a look at the button shirts on these pages: http://www.rei.com/search?cat=450143...FTravel+Shirts

Those are just a few of the options. All the hidden vents help keep you cooler. Plus most of them are quick-drying, so they're easy to rinse out and dry; you don't need to pack as much.

Enjoy Turkey and Greece--we went one July in the middle of a heat wave. Yes, it was unbelievably hot every day, but we wouldn't have missed a minute of that trip. We learned several things on that trip, chief among them: when traveling, don't pass up the opportunity to buy water, and don't worry about the cost of it--JUST BUY IT!

Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great for hot weather travel!

Mine is very much like this: http://www.columbia.com/Women%27s-Ed...fault,pd.html# and I wore it this summer hiking in Yellowstone and Bridges National Parks where it was very hot! (I actually wore it so much that it appears in darn near very picture of me on this 3-week trip!)

I visited the Columbia outlet store near me recently and added a lightweight white zip-up hoodie (SPF-30) to my collection for my April cruise. Perfect for boat tours when the wind gets whipping - even if it's hot.

Smooth sailing!