Greece and Turkey in mid- October 2015?

rickandpat

You're a well-traveled bunch, we're considering a SD week cruise Istanbul to Athens, hitting mostly places we haven't visiting before. Patmos and Rhodes are both interesting to me (don't know much about Kepez, which is close to Troy), and the last time we went to Ephesus the Terrace Houses were still under excavation and off-limits. I've been in this neck of the woods in May and June, (would do that time frame again but thought to link this cruise with another European vacation set for the week before), will mid-October be terribly brown and scorched looking? Will the sea still be warm enough to swim in? I believe the air temps will be warm but not hot, which is a real plus. Any thoughts?

We did Greece in mid-October a few years ago, and found it delightful - pleasant temperatures. I don't recall anyone at the beaches, however. Some of the islands are kind of winding down for the season and some shops and restaurants were getting ready to close for the winter, but there was still plenty to see and do. It was far better than the stifling summer heat in Greece.

I think we might have been to a few ports in Turkey on that trip, also, and they were fine.

Rick and pat -- are you looking at 10-17 oct from istanbul to athens? We are on that cruise (2nd week of a b2b) after jumping from the western Med because of a large group. Expect the weather to be fairly comfortable. The Terrace Houses are open. We've done some of the ports before, but there seem to be alternate excursions so we can do something different!

Look forward to meeting you!

Vandrefalk

Good to hear that it's a nice time of year, we could care less about restaurants and such, quiet and winding down for the season is fine with us. Rick is a pretty hardy swimmer, maybe it wouldn't be too cold for him. Vandrefalk, it's the Oct. 10 Istanbul to Athens, perhaps you're on a charter (not seeing anything starting Oct. 17 on the calendar online). Would love to meet you too!

Pat