What Gen GoPro should I get?

I very well may buy it for our East Caribbean cruise on oasis in July and then flip it on Ebay, the like.

We will likely snorkel (have used disposable underwater multiple times before and get like 1 out 10 usable).

Like walk arounds on the boat and other excursions, including zip lining in St. Thomas/St. Marteen, perhaps the water park/atlantis in Nassau.

Background, I used one for a Tough Mudder a few years ago (rented it) and our memory card was full before halfway through race. (So obviously I need setting research done this time as well).

I'm guessing I'd use a couple mounts and maybe the stick.

I doubt I need the current (is that 4.0?), but how far back is likely a value at this date?

I'm still using a "3" and it's holding up beautifully. Done a lot of what your talking about and never used higher than 1080HD resolution.

They have to be going fairly cheap used or NOS, but I haven't checked.

Check out E-Bay,,,I've seen a few Hero 3+ Black ranging from $200.00 to $300.00,,some including the selfie stick and other accessories.

I personally own a 3+ Black edition and just picked up a Feiyu Tech G4 gimbal with 4 extension poles for our upcoming cruise on the 22nd. The 1080p video is superb but you need a very fast and very large SD card,,,SanDisc 64 gig extreme and a 32 gig extreme is what I have. If I need more space, I bring along my 1 terabyte external drive to dump the files to.

I have the 4 Black and the 4 Silver and love them. The black is much more expensive - $100 right off the bat and then you pay $79 if you want an LCD screen. The silver is less expensive and it comes with the LCD screen built in. For the average user this is a great choice. The black takes higher resolution video, which is why I like it, but the Silver still gives you 2.7K at 30 frames per second - and its battery lasts longer as well.

Having shot both, I would say the 4 Silver is the best choice for most people. After that the 3+ or 3 and then the 4 Black. The later generation you buy, the longer you will probably keep it before needing to replace it. Remember also, the batteries and some other things changed after generation 3. If you get a HERO 3, you'll have to replace batteries and perhaps some other items in the future if you go to a newer version of the camera.

I have a 4 Silver on Ebay, but mine doesn't come with a waterproof case so it might not be the right choice for you. You can find LOTS of 4 Silver gopros new at Ebay with the case for a little lower price than retail.

Check out E-Bay,,,I've seen a few Hero 3+ Black ranging from $200.00 to $300.00,,some including the selfie stick and other accessories.

I personally own a 3+ Black edition and just picked up a Feiyu Tech G4 gimbal with 4 extension poles for our upcoming cruise on the 22nd. The 1080p video is superb but you need a very fast and very large SD card,,,SanDisc 64 gig extreme and a 32 gig extreme is what I have. If I need more space, I bring along my 1 terabyte external drive to dump the files to.

You're going to love the G4 gimbal! I did four test videos of the G4 on Youtube, so I've spent a LOT of time shooting with it. I also have the PilotFly FunnyGo gimbal, which probably does a little better job of stabilizing than the G4 - but it's finnicky too. The G4 doesn't need calibrating and works every time without tinkering for me.

You're going to love the G4 gimbal! I did four test videos of the G4 on Youtube, so I've spent a LOT of time shooting with it. I also have the PilotFly FunnyGo gimbal, which probably does a little better job of stabilizing than the G4 - but it's finnicky too. The G4 doesn't need calibrating and works every time without tinkering for me.

Thanks Web!!! I haven't really had a chance to shoot any video with the gimbal yet,,,basically just powered it up,,,made sure the modes worked and that's about it. I'll take it out for an extended run through before we sail on the 22nd just to get a better feel for it.:)

Thanks Web!!! I haven't really had a chance to shoot any video with the gimbal yet,,,basically just powered it up,,,made sure the modes worked and that's about it. I'll take it out for an extended run through before we sail on the 22nd just to get a better feel for it.:)

you're going to have a ball. The impact it has on the quality of your video is amazing. And you'll be amazed at how many people come up to ask questions about what it is and what it does.

you're going to have a ball. The impact it has on the quality of your video is amazing. And you'll be amazed at how many people come up to ask questions about what it is and what it does.

I handheld my go pro on our last sailing as I walked around the ship. After watching the video of it bouncing up and down as I walked I decided I needed a gimbal if I was ever to shoot smooth video. Going to take it with us on our ATV trip in Cozumel,,,we'll see how it holds up!!:)

I handheld my go pro on our last sailing as I walked around the ship. After watching the video of it bouncing up and down as I walked I decided I needed a gimbal if I was ever to shoot smooth video. Going to take it with us on our ATV trip in Cozumel,,,we'll see how it holds up!!:)

That's why I avoided GoPros for years - no image stabilization. A little camera like that, no stabilization - it sounded like a recipe for motion sickness.

The G4 has remarkablly powerful motors. I held it out the window of my car, driving 65 mph, and it kept stabilizing even in all that wind. I also ran it while going over a construction road made of rip rap and it did a great job.

You can see those clips at

if you're interested.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. LOL Back to the original question of the thread, SconnieMom - if you go with a HERO 3/3+ I think you are limited to a 32GB media card or smaller. If you go with a HERO 4 you can use a 64 GB card. With a HERO 4, be sure to get a card that is fast enough or you will drop frames.

here is the card I use and it's been flawless. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF4OATU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes in 32GB size as well.

• 2 months later...