Verizon Plan in St Thomas

hartskys

• 2 weeks later...
Are you able to use Verizon Wireless in St Thomas for no additional charge?

My wife and I was there last week of February. She was steaming hot mad to find out there was no service there and in San Juan. PR.

It seem no one wants to pay roaming charges.

This is not true, verizon works I. Puerto rico with No roaming charges. Used my phone there several tines. It is a us territory, so it is covered, thus I would assume st thomas is covered also. I asked the verizon people before I left and they told me it was covered and in fact it was.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Call verizon, then get them to email you what they tell you if you want to be absolutely sure. Roaming will definitely be incurred at sea though so turn it on airplane mode when before leaving ports, or safer yet turn it off.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I was in San Juan in January and was able to use my phone free of charge BUT I did have an issue with the data and a quick call to Verizon and it was fixed.

Texting is fee and part of the plan in St. Thomas but phonecalls are $1.99. I had to call the person I had my excursion booked with and came home to a charge on my bill for the call. I'm not sure about data.

Edited by girlscruise2011

I was there in the last week of February to March 3rd, 2014. My wife had no service . Meanwhile I have AT&T with service. Even the local told us that Verizon pull out of San Juan.

I can only tell you that my wife phone kept saying no service (IPhone 5s). It was that way till we came back to Fort Lauderdale, FL. The phone was never in airplane mode during the whole time.

This is a fair warning if you are expecting this on your next trip.

However, if you do go back there in the future please post something if this change.

My verizon voice and data service did not work in Puerto Rico. The ATT service did work in PR.

I was just there in January 2014. My Verizon didn't work at first but after a quick call to Verizon Wireless, they changed a setting on my phone and I was able to text, talk and use data. I have an iPhone 5 as do my kids. I came home to no additional charges.

My nephew has AT&T and he had no issues. Actually it was his phone I used to call Verizon.

A simple phone call to Verizon before you leave home might help in getting the phone set to use in San Juan for your time there. St. Thomas, no issues at all but talk is an additional charge.

Edited by girlscruise2011

This is what Verizon's website says:

Voice rate: $1.99/minute

Text Messages sent or received while in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are billed as though you were in the U.S.

Any data usage in Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands is considered domestic and will deduct from domestic allowances when available or would be billed at domestic overage/pay per use rates. See your current data plan or feature for details.

Before you travel, sign up for Global Services through My Verizon to add the right global feature for your needs.

Last week, no Verizon service in San Juan, St. Croix, or St. Thomas. My iPad, my iPhone, BIL's GF's iPhone -- no service on any of them.

BIL's AT&T iPhone worked fine in all these ports.

Did you call to sign up for global services before you went?

Did you call to sign up for global services before you went?

My wife and I have owned a home In St.John for 35 years and spend 4 months a year there,

AT&T is used by all "locals"---it is the same as being in the continental USA--local calls and calls to the mainland or Puerto Rico are included in your monthly plan.

All other USA carriers treat The US Virgin Islands as an international destination---roaming.

My wife and I have owned a home In St.John for 35 years and spend 4 months a year there,

AT&T is used by all "locals"---it is the same as being in the continental USA--local calls and calls to the mainland or Puerto Rico are included in your monthly plan.

All other USA carriers treat The US Virgin Islands as an international destination---roaming.

The first time I stayed on St. Thomas, we could only use my husband's AT&T phone. The most recent time, texting from my Verizon phone worked fine, no extra costs. They do now include it, but it's not automatic. It does require a phone call. Their website states the same thing. Also, my friends who spent a month there this winter, also verified that they had no extra charges beyond their basic, regular monthly fees. And we texted the entire time.

This post I made earlier, that is copied from Verizon's website is correct, and is what both myself and my friends experienced at separate times on St. Thomas:

This is what Verizon's website says:

Voice rate: $1.99/minute

Text Messages sent or received while in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are billed as though you were in the U.S.

Any data usage in Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands is considered domestic and will deduct from domestic allowances when available or would be billed at domestic overage/pay per use rates. See your current data plan or feature for details.

Before you travel, sign up for Global Services through My Verizon to add the right global feature for your needs.

Edited by LrgPizza

Lot of conflicting info. I stopped in VZW yesterday and asked if I would incur charges in SJ or St. Thomas and they said in SJ everything is included in your plan, while St. Thomas data and texting is included, phone calls in St. Thomas are $1.99/min.

Guess I'll find out in October!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I was there for a week in February and had no problems with calls or data, but I am an AT&T customer. AT&T is the cell service provider and tower on the island. Be careful if you notice "LIME" pop up where your normal carrier logo shows on your phone because that is the service provider in the BVI, and you will definitely incur roaming charges.

Disembarked cruise ship on 4/9/14 in St. Thomas. Brought my iphone 5C, daughter brought her iphone 4, I did sign up online for global calling (no charge) before I left on the iphone 5C.

We traveled many miles via car on the island and everywhere we went both iphones said "roaming" in the corner. I decided I didn't care and sent about a dozen texts, received some, and daughter also sent and received a few texts and she made a three minute phone call which I thought would be billed at $1.99/min.

However, I just logged into my online verizon account and all calls and texts are there but with no addl charge noted on any of them My billing cycle completes in 5 days so I will repost here if charges are incurred but it looks all included now.

I have a samsung galaxy s3 on verizon that is "global mode" capable. I can use phone and text with zero problems and without extra charges in st. thomas and puerto rico. I live in Nashville and do not have an international plan but we cruise or go to the caribbean at least once a year. It always works the same way for us. :) Never tried data, as I am not interested in app updates in those locations. Although there is no logical reason puerto rico shouldn't support data.

Support & access can sometime depend on your phone and I don't mean how new it is. Some phones come loaded with international software options or use different carrier bands (cdma vs gsm). Not all older verizon phone support these options. Your plan might support it but your older style phone might not.

Whats confusing is that the software update you need isn't always part of the operating system. There is sometimes a whole other layer of software that runs underneath the OS that controls that type of thing. Imagine the operating system on your phone is like Windows. But the bios on the motherboard might need to be updated.

Understand that most international locations use GSM while verizon uses CDMA in the continental usa. You are far mode likely to have GSM on a newer verizon cellphone if it's an android than an iphone. Examples include the Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 etc, Droid Razr & Razr Maxx, Droid 4 and the HTC Rezound. So unless you have a newer android smart phone, you might be out of luck.

At&t converted years ago to GSM in the usa, so thats why more of their phones (even non-smart phones) have less issues in international locations.

Now... Lime might use cdma but I couldn't swear to it. Just remember to turn your phone off if you Lime shows up as roaming.

I called Verizon and the young lady was very helpful. She sent this attachment to me not only detailing what coverage is in PR and USVI but other information I thought could be helpful for others on this sight.

[attach]310032[/attach]

That document is very handy for folks. It gives you the codes on page 2 that force your phone to update it's knowledge of cell towers. Very handy indeed!

Edited by camelotbob

Update from my earlier post: my Verizon billing cycle closed today. I sent and receiving over a dozen texts while on St. Thomas via my iphone 5C and daughter's iphone 4 and all texts are listed on the bill as "domestic" with no additional charge; on the bill they blend right in with the rest of my texts for the month.

For my daughter's 2 phone calls I was billed $1.99 per minute roaming charge, which I expected.

I have always used my phone in ports on cruises. I have Verizon and before leaving home I always add the Global Services plan. It makes it easier and more affordable. Sending texts usually cost .50 and receiving .05. If you have an iphone and turn off the data or only turn on when needed will save too. Sometimes with all the country codes etc it is easier to text family and have them call me. The plan can be prorated for a week and it is very cheap. I have an elderly mother so I have to be reachable. Verizon will even email you a handy little sheet with all the info.