Bangkok verse Hong Kong shopping

WAVTAM

We will be in both ports. Trying to please wife for best shopping experince. I've read posts about Nathan Road in Hong Kong. We will be in the Silom area for 3 days in Bangkok. What are the best areas around this site. WAVTAM

We just returned from cruising through both of these areas. We were in Bangkok first....and hands down, much better deals. If your going to Shanghai we found that the best of all. I'm a big time shopper.:)

Where exactly in Bangkok did you shop? We're here right now and have two more days before our cruise leaves. Are you talking about high quality stores, or knock-off and street-side shopping? Also, we're headed to Shanghai and will have some time there. What shopping area do you recommend most, and what did you find there in the way of good prices?

We will be in both ports. Trying to please wife for best shopping experince. I've read posts about Nathan Road in Hong Kong. We will be in the Silom area for 3 days in Bangkok. What are the best areas around this site. WAVTAM

Hong Kong has a great deal more shopping to offer than Nathan Road, esp on the island, mainly between Central & Wan Chai. Compared to Bangkok, your general shopping experience, choice, reliability of supplier & product etc will be way way way better, from street stalls thro to a huge choice of major stores & malls. But Bangkok will be cheaper - esp if you're a good haggler.

Siam Square near Silom is good for high street shops, but Silom is best known for knock-off products. Hong Kong's equivalent is the Temple St night-market, just off Nathan Road, at the far end of the Golden Mile.

Can't help with Shanghai

John Bull

• 2 weeks later...

I have done all my shopping in Bangkok

Centralworld, good shoping with a big store "ZEN" inside

MBK cheap shoping

Platinium whole sale, they sell aswell 1 piece. Very very cheap you wont beleave it. Normaly they wont let you try one.

You still can ask for discounts aswell.:D

Hello There:

I am a huge shopper and Bangkok always fits the bill. For air conditioned shopping you have the department stores, Central chidlom, Mall...Siam Paragon or Central World. Gaysorn plaza has the designer stores which are much more money then the USA or europe.

Out door boutique and designer shopping...Siam Square just walk up and down the little streets. Everything from fabulous knock offs to used louis vuitton bags.

Tailoring....Pinky Tailor is great in Mahutan plaza...he does some great work at far better prices then shanghai or Hong Kong...he also works on tight schedules. Also for strictly ladies is Mazzarro near the Shangrila hotel where you can buy beautiful jackets for about $150 each with incredible hand work.

Jewelry....Luxe guide pick is Lambert Industries.....Tons of beautiful stones and you can design your own pieces..bring a picture of your ideas..makes the Caribbean jewelery look ill. They are on the 4th floor of an office bldg...they sell to jewelers and also to consumers..great prices.

Discount shopping is MBK....6th floor has it all in one place. Here is where you can buy your knockoffs and movies etc...as well as all the scarfs, cottons, pillow covers all for $2-3 per item....Lastly, Pratunam pure platinum....as mentioned before is a wholesale textile mall selling everything in threes...but sometimes they let you buy just one. Great deals as the factories dump their overages here. Though a XL in the USA is a 3XL here as sizes are for Thai's not ferangs.

Enjoy....And eat the food...Bangkok is great fun and Hong Kong is just too expensive and crowded everywhere.

Archived