Need Help with Shuttle Service in LA

shilo5

Can anyone help me with shuttle service LAX, San Pedro and Santa Monica?

Question 1: We are flying into LAX the day before our Mexican Riviera cruise and are staying at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. If I take Super Shuttle or Primetime Shuttle from LAX to the cruise port, will the Crown Plaza shuttle pick us up or do we have to take a taxi to the hotel.

Question 2: We are on the Crown Princess, what time does the ship normally disembark at San Pedro after returning from Mexico as I don't know what time to arrange a shuttle pickup from the cruise port back to LAX. What would be the best time for pickup?

Question 3: We are staying in Santa Monica one night before we leave LA, I think it might be cheaper to take the Super Shuttle or Primetime Shuttle back to LAX then take a taxi to Santa Monica instead of a door-to-door shuttle service.

I've gotten quotes from some shuttle agencies but it's pretty pricey for a private Van, I was quoted $110 (LAX to Crown Plaza), $140 (San Pedro to Santa Monica) and $110 (Santa Monica to LAX) for 3 shuttle trips.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated as I an not familiar with LAX or the San Pedro Cruise port. Thank you very much.

Question 1: We are flying into LAX the day before our Mexican Riviera cruise and are staying at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. If I take Super Shuttle or Primetime Shuttle from LAX to the cruise port, will the Crown Plaza shuttle pick us up or do we have to take a taxi to the hotel.

Question 2: We are on the Crown Princess, what time does the ship normally disembark at San Pedro after returning from Mexico as I don't know what time to arrange a shuttle pickup from the cruise port back to LAX. What would be the best time for pickup?

Question 3: We are staying in Santa Monica one night before we leave LA, I think it might be cheaper to take the Super Shuttle or Primetime Shuttle

back to LAX then take a taxi to Santa Monica instead of a door-to-door shuttle service.

I've gotten quotes from some shuttle agencies but it's pretty pricey for a private Van, I was quoted $110 (LAX to Crown Plaza), $140 (San Pedro to Santa Monica) and $110 (Santa Monica to LAX) for 3 shuttle trips.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated as I an not familiar with LAX or the San Pedro Cruise port. Thank you very much.

We've used Super Shuttle twice and stayed at the Crowne Plaza both times. The Shuttle dropped us off at the hotel, not the port. Is there a reason you are going to the port first?

The first time was a fairly quick trip, the second time they had several other people to let off at various stops so it took longer.

We did not use a private van though, just their regular shuttle. Price was about $15pp for one trip, using a coupon I found online, so $60 total for two trips, plus tip.

After the cruise we got off very late, as late as we could, because our flight was in the afternoon. We went back to the airport, though, not a hotel and again did not use a private shuttle. Approx. the same price.

Your pick-up time depends on when your flight is, or in your case at what time you want to get to your hotel. We wanted a late shuttle to minimize our time at LAX; of course you can get off earlier, probably in the 7 o'clock and up range, though this varies.

Question 3: We are staying in Santa Monica one night before we leave LA, I think it might be cheaper to take the Super Shuttle or Primetime Shuttle

back to LAX then take a taxi to Santa Monica instead of a door-to-door shuttle service.

We've used Super Shuttle twice and stayed at the Crowne Plaza both times. The Shuttle dropped us off at the hotel, not the port. Is there a reason you are going to the port first?

The first time was a fairly quick trip, the second time they had several other people to let off at various stops so it took longer.

We did not use a private van though, just their regular shuttle. Price was about $15pp for one trip, using a coupon I found online, so $60 total for two trips, plus tip.

After the cruise we got off very late, as late as we could, because our flight was in the afternoon. We went back to the airport, though, not a hotel and again did not use a private shuttle. Approx. the same price.

Your pick-up time depends on when your flight is, or in your case at what time you want to get to your hotel. We wanted a late shuttle to minimize our time at LAX; of course you can get off earlier, probably in the 7 o'clock and up range, though this varies.

We were fine with the shared shuttle, but that is up to you of course.

San Pedro is about 20 miles from LAX. On a really good day about 35 minutes. On a bad day, well it's anybody's guess. Santa Monica is very close to LAX.

The Crowne Plaza is practically across the street from the port and does have a shuttle to the port on embarkation day.

There is shared shuttle service $17/pp on Super Shuttle. There will be plenty of Shuttles and Taxis at the pier and LAX even if you do not make a reservation.

Depending on the time of day (traffic) a taxi will run about $75metered LAX-San Pedro.

taxifarefinder.com will give you a good approximation of taxi fares. We've always found the fares to err on the high side.

Instead of a private van look at execucar. It's the private Black Car version of SuperShuttle.

Princess has debark starting around 7:30am and going until almost noon on their cruises that we have taken out of San Pedro. You will sign up a few days ahead of time for your preferred debarkation time.

Maybe I misunderstood the part about having the Crowne Plaza shuttle pick you up? That makes no sense. At the end of your cruise go to Santa Monica directly as there is absolutely no reason to go to LAX then to Santa Monica. It will be a huge waste of time and $$$.

I see your travels as LAX-Crowne Plaza (taxi or shuttle); Crowne Plaza (hotel shuttle) - port; Crown Princess; port - Santa Monica(taxi or shuttle); Santa Monica to LAX (taxi or shuttle).

Look on the West Coast Departure, the Princess and the Mexican Riviera boards for more info.

Edited by SadieN

Thank you both, I didn't realize that Super Shuttle will drop off at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. We are staying one extra night in Santa Monica after we disembark the cruise ship so I think it would be cheaper to take Super Shuttle back to LAX then take a taxi from there to Santa Monica, or does Super Shuttle take passengers from LAX to Santa Monica (near the pier).

Super Shuttle will take you to your hotel in Santa Monica. They go all over, not just to LAX.

Just checked taxifarefinder.com, execucar and SuperShuttle for you. World Cruise Center and used Loew's Santa Monica

Cruise Center - LAX- Santa Monica ----Super Shuttle is $34, Taxi to Loew's on Ocean is another $35.

Cruise Center - Santa Monica --- Supershuttle shared van is $43first pax + $9add'l pax shared van

execucar.com is $73 for 4 pax max

Even if was a bit more why waste time going to LAX? At times we've been stuck over an hour just going thru the horseshoe.

Edited by SadieN

Many of the land transportation companies will pick you up at any location in LA County and drop you off at any location in LA County. A few just will go between one of the airports and major hotels (and maybe the two ports).

SS and PT have the shared non-private vans that will circle around LAX until fill and then drop off passengers to the various locations. Booking a private vehicle (or one of the private services such as Execu-car) will be more akin to getting a taxi where you would be taken directly to your destination. We have massive trouble with our pre-booked arrangements with PT so will never use them again, but there are plenty of other companies.

As Sadie pointed out, no need to keep going to LAX, except when you're arriving to take a flight. You would be just complicating the logistics. You can take the Crowne Plaza's free shuttle to the port on the morning of your cruise since you'll be staying there.

As for selecting a pick up time, since you don't have a flight right after your cruise, you don't have to hurry off the ship. If you prebook a pick up (to go directly to your Santa Monica hotel), give them a time like 9:30 or so -- they will know you're getting off a ship and should understand you won't have a precise time. Certainly tell them you'll be on the Crown Plaza (the driver should be able to find out which berth just by driving into the World Cruise Center as there is a marquee listing the ship/berth numbers) and give your cell phone number. Make sure you take their dispatcher number. We used OnTime Transportation the last time (our trip is only 50 miles away but two weeks worth of luggage is not going to fit in my car trunk) and the driver called me when I was in my assigned disembarkation locale on board to tell me he was near the port and just call when we were at the shuttle island ready to be picked up.

Cruisinchick --- Make that read Crown Princess !

Certainly tell them you'll be on the Crown Plaza (the driver should be able to find out which berth just by driving into the World Cruise Center as there is a marquee listing the ship/berth numbers) and give your cell phone number.