Single guy looking for cruise advice ...

Theasarius

Hiya,

I'm a single chap in my 40's wishing to go on a cruise April/May this year (yes, right now!) - I cruised on a Royal Caribbean ship last year, very nice, great quality, but felt that it was very much oriented toward Families and Couples.

So, what ships or lines would really suit someone needing a holiday, but not wanting to be completely alone for a week!

Thanks,

T.

:)Hi, I cruise alot and enjoy meeting people... Might I suggest you try Celebrity or Princess cruise lines.

I am on a cruise in May out of Venice with Celebrity.

Happy Sailing

Bradhere

Hiya,

I'm a single chap in my 40's wishing to go on a cruise April/May this year (yes, right now!) - I cruised on a Royal Caribbean ship last year, very nice, great quality, but felt that it was very much oriented toward Families and Couples.

So, what ships or lines would really suit someone needing a holiday, but not wanting to be completely alone for a week!

Thanks,

T.

NCL Epic is getting a good reputation because of the studios. Most cruises are indeed oriented towards families and couples. If you're in the habit of staying awake past 9 PM, be careful about moving away from RCI/Carnival/NCL. I won't go back on some of the "premium" lines because they're full of old geezers (and that's a comment by someone who's 62, with a heart condition!)

Definitely Norwegian epic for me.i have tried both the studios and a regular inside as a solo passenger.was plenty of like minded people who gathered every day in the studio lounge at 530.this gathering is open to all categories of passengers and was well attended.

• 1 month later...

T...

Find a friend and go with them. :) I see you're from London, do you have a British accent? I might go with you :D - I love English accents and I love cruising!

Princess has wonderful ships...

T...

Find a friend and go with them. :) I see you're from London, do you have a British accent? I might go with you :D - I love English accents and I love cruising!

Princess has wonderful ships...

Ha ha I was on the Diamond Princess once talking to an American couple from Seattle and they said to me, you obviously come from England with your accent, no I am from Australia, but to me I have no accent !!!

lol Cheryl, I got the same thing while cruising CCL and NCL last year.

Will see how many times I'm asked if I'm from England this November :)

I've made the same mistake. And felt pretty stupid. Once someone TELLS me where the accent is from, it seems obvious, but I usually can't place it by myself.

Ha ha guessing accents just makes it much more fun, :) but back to the original question, I like Royal Caribbean, but sometimes there is just some luck who you can meet up with and make some friends. :)

I've made the same mistake. And felt pretty stupid. Once someone TELLS me where the accent is from, it seems obvious, but I usually can't place it by myself.

I never take offense when my accent is mistaken for British...I find its a great conversation starter :)

I travel quite a lot both solo and sometimes with singles groups and I personally find its fairly easy to meet people. But I'm fairly out going and will talk to anyone that stands still long enough :)

Unless your on one of the Singles groups cruises, cruising is a bit of pot luck in finding other singles/solos in your own age group. Sometimes there are alot, sometimes only a few and other times none at all.

Thanks for rejuvenating this thread everyone. I think I'll just hop on a boat this summer and I'm sure there will be plenty of folk to talk to. If not, well I have a book to write!

Oops sorry we weren't very helpful. When you choose what cruise you want to do, go and join the roll call that's a good place to start. :)

Thanks for rejuvenating this thread everyone. I think I'll just hop on a boat this summer and I'm sure there will be plenty of folk to talk to. If not, well I have a book to write!

I would strongly:D recommend the Brilliance of the Seas on August 25 ....

the reason is: I'll be on the ship....

....and I don't have a book to write.......;)

I had a great experience as a solo on Carnival Imagination. I was never bored or lonely. There was always something to do onboard thanks to listings in Fun Times, and other passengers were open and easygoing. I had assigned dining with late seating in the MDR, so my regular table functioned as a "home port" of sorts. (With my cabin being the "dry dock", lol.)

If you do nothing else to make your solo cruise experience easier, at least get assigned seating for dinner, early or late. Having the same place to eat dinner and compare notes each evening is exponentially better that scrambling to find a place to sit down to eat dinner, every day. Doing that just smacks of that "new kid in school" feeling.

Archived