Nikon D5200 vs D3100

hattack

Makes sense, I currently have a Nikon 55-200 lens with my D3100 that is 3 years old...have no clue what the camera shop where I purchased it would give me for a trade in..any suggestion on upgrading my lens

My Son will soon ask me what I want for Christmas, so I want to be ready

Makes sense, I currently have a Nikon 55-200 lens with my D3100 that is 3 years old...have no clue what the camera shop where I purchased it would give me for a trade in..any suggestion on upgrading my lens

My Son will soon ask me what I want for Christmas, so I want to be ready

They won't give you much on a trade at all. You would be better off selling on Craigslist or eBay if you had to sell but maybe you should hang on to it for a back up if you get a new body. I think the lens idea is a good one, trust me good lens can cost more than the camera body but can use them down the road on other Nikon cameras unless you decide to go to Full Frame.

Sent from my iPad

I agree - upgrade lenses before upgrading the body.

I have a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for my "normal" lens for my D7100. It is a great lens and would be a great upgrade for your camera.

I also use either a Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5~5.6 or the Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8 depending on if I am shooting sports and how much I need to exercise (the 80-200 is oh so heavy).

Unfortunately, you would not be able to autofocus with the 80-200 f/2.8 with either a D3xxx or D5xxx DSLR, so your logical choice if you want a fast sports telephoto would be the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.

However, your 55-200mm should provide good daylight performance, so there is probably no reason to upgrade unless you have a specific issue with the lens (need a sports lens, etc).

Edited by awboater