QM2 public room opening/service times

melb1988

Hello all!

I have been on the QM2 once before but I do have another trip booked for next year :)

I was just wondering with the main public rooms Chart Room, Sir Samuals, Golden Lion, Queens Room, Veuve bar, Commodore Club etc, what time are these 'open for business' if anyone can remember or has the info? Also when they are open, I'll use the Chart Room for an example, is there bar staff working the room, taking orders or does one need to approach the bar itself.

I'm only asking because my last cruise was with HAL and I must admit how disappointed I was that there seemed to be a serious lack of service in the public spaces.. I forever felt like I would walk past or into one of the nice lounges or bars and there would be no staff there! Most of the spaces seemed to just become another spot for book readers or people napping. I really disliked this about HAL. I understand they may have had cut backs but i would think that generally passengers would expect to be able to go into a bar or lounge during the day and get served or asked if they wanted anything by a waiter. I really hope Cunard hasn't cut back so much as HAL.. I mean, it is nice to think that you can just pop into the chart room during the day, sit yourself down and be asked if you would like anything. Isn't that what holidays are all about?

Whilst I'm on the topic of service in the public rooms I also just wanted to know if you can order pots of tea from most the public rooms? For example can you get a pot of tea in the Queens room outside of afternoon tea hours?

Thanks for any info that can be offered

:)

I was just wondering with the main public rooms Chart Room, Sir Samuals, Golden Lion, Queens Room, Veuve bar, Commodore Club etc, what time are these 'open for business' if anyone can remember or has the info? Also when they are open, I'll use the Chart Room for an example, is there bar staff working the room, taking orders or does one need to approach the bar itself.

I'm only asking because my last cruise was with HAL and I must admit how disappointed I was that there seemed to be a serious lack of service in the public spaces.. I forever felt like I would walk past or into one of the nice lounges or bars and there would be no staff there! Most of the spaces seemed to just become another spot for book readers or people napping. I really disliked this about HAL. I understand they may have had cut backs but i would think that generally passengers would expect to be able to go into a bar or lounge during the day and get served or asked if they wanted anything by a waiter. I really hope Cunard hasn't cut back so much as HAL.. I mean, it is nice to think that you can just pop into the chart room during the day, sit yourself down and be asked if you would like anything. Isn't that what holidays are all about?

Whilst I'm on the topic of service in the public rooms I also just wanted to know if you can order pots of tea from most the public rooms? For example can you get a pot of tea in the Queens room outside of afternoon tea hours?

Hi melb1988,

These were some of the opening times on a recent QM2 trip:

Champagne Bar 11am - midnight

Chart Room 10am - late

Commodore Club 10am - late

Golden Lion 10am - late (lunch noon - 2.30pm)

G32 9.30pm - small hours

Pavilion Pool Bar 10am - 7pm

Queens Grill Lounge 11am- 2.30pm & 6pm - midnight

Queens Room Afternoon Tea 3.30pm - 4.30pm

Sir Samuels 7am - midnight (snacks until 5pm)

Terrace Bar 10am - 10pm (weather permitting)

Winter Garden 10am - 11pm

There is no need, in my experience, to go to a bar to be served, stewards will come to you to take your order (If you don't want a drink they will place a paper napkin in front of you to indicate to other stewards that you've been asked and have declined). The Queens Room is used for many activities during the day and waiter service for tea etc is usually available during afternoon tea hours only. You can order tea at any of the bars however during the day, as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps :)

Hi melb1988,

These were some of the opening times on a recent QM2 trip:

Champagne Bar 11am - midnight

Chart Room 10am - late

Commodore Club 10am - late

Golden Lion 10am - late (lunch noon - 2.30pm)

G32 9.30pm - small hours

Pavilion Pool Bar 10am - 7pm

Queens Grill Lounge 11am- 2.30pm & 6pm - midnight

Queens Room Afternoon Tea 3.30pm - 4.30pm

Sir Samuels 7am - midnight (snacks until 5pm)

Terrace Bar 10am - 10pm (weather permitting)

Winter Garden 10am - 11pm

There is no need, in my experience, to go to a bar to be served, stewards will come to you to take your order (If you don't want a drink they will place a paper napkin in front of you to indicate to other stewards that you've been asked and have declined). The Queens Room is used for many activities during the day and waiter service for tea etc is usually available during afternoon tea hours only. You can order tea at any of the bars however during the day, as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much!! What a fantastic reply and very informative :)

Cheers for that!

Just to add, you will always find the times of the opening hours on the back page of your daily programme, but these could be subject to change on days when the ship is visiting a port.

From my experience I've found that Sir Samuels or Cafe Carinthia are the first to be open early (7.00 to 12.am )

Unlike the vista class ships I think it would be too much to expect a pot of tea in the 'QM2 Queens Room' outside of the afternoon tea service. It's quite a hike to the pantry area where they prepare tea/coffee etc ;) ( not so bad on the Q.Vic/QE) I don't recall seeing a crew member on duty during the day (QM2) until the evening dance activities start at around 7.45pm.

Enjoy QM2 ! my favourite ship :)

Just to add, you will always find the times of the opening hours on the back page of your daily programme, but these could be subject to change on days when the ship is visiting a port.

From my experience I've found that Sir Samuels or Cafe Carinthia are the first to be open early (7.00 to 12.am )

Unlike the vista class ships I think it would be too much to expect a pot of tea in the 'QM2 Queens Room' outside of the afternoon tea service. It's quite a hike to the pantry area where they prepare tea/coffee etc ;) ( not so bad on the Q.Vic/QE) I don't recall seeing a crew member on duty during the day (QM2) until the evening dance activities start at around 7.45pm.

Enjoy QM2 ! my favourite ship :)

You do raise a good point re the Queens Room! I wonder where the afternoon tea is prepared? All the wait staff filter out of G20 when tea starts if I remember correctly? There must be some link there to down in the Galley perhaps?

Sir Samuals opens rather early! Earlier than I thought.. I wonder if it's busy at 7am? I wouldn't mind going there first thing for a espresso to get the day started! :)

Cheers

You are quite correct they do parade out of the G32 for the service of 'afternoon tea', however, this area is set up well before hand ( i.e. with the tea pots and trays of sandwiches & cakes etc ) The G32 is essentially an after hours night club and at the same time acts as the 'dispensary' for the evening bar service for the Queens Room. The G32 may have the boiling water, however, out of hours the teacups/pots (not to forget the odd cookie or two ;) ) have to come from another pantry .. and that's bit of a hike away . ;)

You are quite correct they do parade out of the G32 for the service of 'afternoon tea', however, this area is set up well before hand ( i.e. with the tea pots and trays of sandwiches & cakes etc ) The G32 is essentially an after hours night club and at the same time acts as the 'dispensary' for the evening bar service for the Queens Room. The G32 may have the boiling water, however, out of hours the teacups/pots (not to forget the odd cookie or two ;) ) have to come from another pantry .. and that's bit of a hike away . ;)

it must be all prepared in the main galley and then taken to G20 via the service lifts/stairs etc. I remember actually ordering 'afternoon tea' to the stateroom via room service during tea time one of the days. I thought that was a nice little feature they offer. I guess the scones and cakes are all there being prepared at that time anyway so easy enough to add it to room service menu.

Do you know what's on offer at the winter garden? I seem to remember only being in the space during none service hours.. Do they do afternoon Thea there too?

:)

... There must be some link there to down in the Galley perhaps? ...
Hi again melb1988,

You are correct, the QM2 main galley is directly below the Queens Room and G32. There is a (crew only) stairway and two lifts connecting the galley with both public rooms one deck above (situated centrally between the two rooms). So providing sandwiches & scones (or canape in the evening) for the Queens Room is easy (the stairway and lifts also allow galley access to the many refrigerated store rooms one deck below the galley, ie two decks below the Queens Room) (There are also (crew only) stairs and lifts immediately forward of the Queens Room).

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Hi again melb1988,

You are correct, the QM2 main galley is directly below the Queens Room and G32. There is a (crew only) stairway and two lifts connecting the galley with both public rooms one deck above (situated centrally between the two rooms). So providing sandwiches & scones (or canape in the evening) for the Queens Room is easy (the stairway and lifts also allow galley access to the many refrigerated store rooms one deck below the galley, ie two decks below the Queens Room) (There are also (crew only) stairs and lifts immediately forward of the Queens Room).

Best wishes,

Your knowledge of the ship is amazing pepper! :)

Cheers