Am I right re excursions on Dream in Aug?

We are doing Treasures of the Med and Med Medley in Aug on Dream

I think we are OK doing Rome on our own but I think it may be wise to do the ships trip to Pompeii & Amalfi as I would be worried about getting back to the ship.

As you all know it's quite expensive to do a lot of trips but it's such a great itinerary that there are too many places I want to see!!

I don't mind doing one more trip with the ship, which one would folks say is the most tricky to do one your own out of Villefranche (Monaco & Nice) and Livorno (Florence & Pisa).

Monaco and Nice are very easy to diy by train as the station is about a 10 minute walk along the seafront. We've done Florence and Pisa by train a couple of times, but its a little more complicated as you need to either get a taxi to the station, or the ship shuttle to downtown then a local bus to the station

We are doing Treasures of the Med and Med Medley in Aug on Dream

I think we are OK doing Rome on our own but I think it may be wise to do the ships trip to Pompeii & Amalfi as I would be worried about getting back to the ship.

As you all know it's quite expensive to do a lot of trips but it's such a great itinerary that there are too many places I want to see!!

I don't mind doing one more trip with the ship, which one would folks say is the most tricky to do one your own out of Villefranche (Monaco & Nice) and Livorno (Florence & Pisa).

Definitely do the ship's trip if you are venturing as far a Amalfi as the traffic along this coast line is horrendous! You wouldn't want to be travelling independently by road - Pompeii is easy enough to do by train - but we did that as our sole focus for the day.

Perhaps you can carry on by train to Amalfi but I would suggest it may be a bit too much to attempt in one day on your own. A ship's trip will get you back and if delayed the ship will wait so if you want to do both in a day I'd stick with the organised excursion.

Villefranche is easy to go to Nice/Cannes (one direction) or Monaco (the opposite direction) by train though whether you would want try to pull in both in the day depends on how long you want to stay and look around. You can pull up the train times and get an idea of how doable it is to combine both.

From Livorno we've done Pisa independently by train - very easy but Florence is further afield. Again it's best to do your research by getting the trenItalia train times and working out how practical that is. It's about a 20 minute walk from the station in Pisa to the Tower and Miracle Square so you'd have to factor in the time to get to the centre and back from the station. Although we've done Pisa by train on our own, we have always elected to do the 'Florence on your Own' transfer with Thomson to maximise our time there. Florence is nice and compact and you don't really need a guide but again, the centre is a step from the station.

Thanks for the replies, I think we will book Pompeii and Amalfi with the ship.

We have seen both before but my sister and her husband haven't and it will be nice to do it again.

More researching needed for the other ports.............I need a holiday !!!!