Difference between trip delay and missed connection insurance?

backnine05

Does anyone know the difference between missed connection and flight delay policy details? They sound very similar. I am flying in the morning of my cruise with about 4 hours to spare and would like something that would cover the costs of "catching up" to the ship. I should mention that I am taking a direct flight, not sure if the "missed connection" is only referring to a connecting flight or just any flight in general...

Here are excerpts from the policy I am looking at:

 Loss or Delay 

Travel Delay

$1,000 per person

$250 daily limit

Covered after 9 hour delay

 What is Travel Delay? 

Travel Delay provides reimbursement for meals and accommodations when a trip is unexpectedly delayed.

 What am I covered for? 

TRIP DELAY

We will pay You for additional expenses on a one-time basis, up to the maximum shown in the Schedule of Benefits, if You are delayed en route to or from the Covered Trip for 9 or more hours due to a defined Hazard.

Additional expenses include:

a) any prepaid, unused, non-refundable land, air, or water accommodations;

b) any reasonable additional expenses incurred (meals, accommodations, local Transportation, and telephone calls);

c) an economy fare from the point where You ended Your Covered Trip to a destination where You can resume Your Covered Trip; or

d) a one-way economy fare to return You to Your originally scheduled return destination.

We will pay the daily benefit shown in the Schedule of Benefits for up to the maximum number of days shown.

and here is the missed connection verbiage..

 Loss or Delay 

Missed Connection

$750 per person

Covered after 3 hour delay

 What is Missed Connection? 

Missed Connection provides reimbursement in the event of a missed flight connection or for the additional costs to “catch up” to a cruise if the cause of delay is an accident or bad weather.

 What am I covered for? 

MISSED CONNECTION

We will pay the benefit shown in the Schedule of Benefits if You missed Your Covered Trip departure due to cancellation or delay for 3 or more hours of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or any delay caused by a Common Carrier. Benefits of up to the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits are provided to cover additional Transportation expenses needed for You to join the departed Covered Trip, reasonable accommodations and meal expenses up to the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits and non-refundable Covered Trip payments for the unused portion of Your Covered Trip. Coverage is secondary to any compensation provided by a Common Carrier. Coverage will not be provided to You if You are able to meet Your scheduled departure but cancel Your Covered Trip due to Inclement Weather.

Biggest difference is that travel/trip delay generally not reimburse you for non-used, non-refundable trip arrangements lost because of the delay. Missed connection coverage will generally reimburse you for the value of any days of the cruise you miss while waiting to catch back up with the cruise. It's very possible to have claims against both the trip delay and missed connection coverages, when in doubt file under both.

Do you have a non-stop flight or a direct flight?

Non-stop: you get on and go to your destination without stopping.

Direct: you have one flight number from getting on until your final destination but may have several stops and/or may have to change planes.

We are taking a non-stop flight. Just looking for something to cover me if the flight is delayed or canceled at the last minute and we miss boarding.