Barcelona Airport Procedures

We will be flying directly back to the U.S. from Barcelona. What is the procedure for U.S. bound Flights there? In Frankfurt, I remember going through a separate security line right at the gate for flights bound for the U.S. Does Barcelona do that, too? Is there a priority security line for Business class pax?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We will be flying directly back to the U.S. from Barcelona. What is the procedure for U.S. bound Flights there? In Frankfurt, I remember going through a separate security line right at the gate for flights bound for the U.S. Does Barcelona do that, too? Is there a priority security line for Business class pax?

What airline are you flying? We flew Delta on May 5 from Barcelona to US.

We went to Delta check-in counter just like we'd do in states. No separate security lines.

American

So you went through the initial security line but not another one at the gate? Did you happen to notice if there was a priority line for people flying business class? How was your wait time in line? I'm asking all this because we've been reading the horror stories of lengthy delays in the U.S. lately, and I read some bad reviews of BCN, too.

I just flew home from Barcelona 2 weeks ago. You check in at the counter drop your bags.

Not sure what airline you're flying, they had a separate line at security for Business and First Class (in terminal 1 at least). Once you clear security, you must go through EU customs and they'll simply look at and stamp your passport. After that, you enter the terminal. Once they begin boarding the plane, they will look at your passport upon boarding but that's about it.

American

So you went through the initial security line but not another one at the gate? Did you happen to notice if there was a priority line for people flying business class? How was your wait time in line? I'm asking all this because we've been reading the horror stories of lengthy delays in the U.S. lately, and I read some bad reviews of BCN, too.

You go through customs after you clear security not at the gate but they will check your passport upon boarding.

The biggest delay I encountered was checking in with American. Security and Customs were ok.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew out of BNC to JFK on Delta, May 6, midday. Check-in was quick and we went though security/passport control with just a short wait.

One caution about El Prat. While T1 has some very good services, they are mostly on the land side. We arrived more than two hour early, and made the mistake of going through security and then looking for a place to eat and to spend leftover euros. Air side only had two mostly identical duty free shops, two mostly identical quick-food sandwich shops, and a McDonald's. We could look down on all of the shops and eateries on the lower level, but they were on the other side of passport control so we cold not get to them.

Edited by cc_rider

We flew out of BNC to JFK on Delta, May 6, midday. Check-in was quick and we went though security/passport control with just a short wait.

One caution about El Prat. While T1 has some very good services, they are mostly on the land side. We arrived more than two hour early, and made the mistake of going through security and then looking for a place to eat and to spend leftover euros. Air side only had two mostly identical duty free shops, two mostly identical quick-food sandwich shops, and a McDonald's. We could look down on all of the shops and eateries on the lower level, but they were on the other side of passport control so we cold not get to them.

I remember trying to figure out how to get down there but could not figure it out. Good know for next time.

The shops and services you were looking down at are not landside. They are are airside, but in the Schengen transit area of T1 (A, B, C gates). They call it the "Sky Centre". I think (not sure) it would have been possible for you to go through security into that area first and hang out there before making your way upstairs to the D/E gates. Or you could have gone through passport control again into the Sky Centre (assuming you have travel documents allowing you to re-enter the Schengen zone).

Looked to me that the shopping area was still on the land side. After Delta check-in, you go right or left for security and passport control, or straight and down the escalator to get to the shops (no security). After we had gone through, DW said that she saw an electronic sign that said "shopping area before security". I'd seen it too, but didn't pay attention.

I asked a security employee about how to get to the shops. They said we would have to go to Arrivals and come back into the Schengen zone, as if we had just arrived, then leave it again through security and passport control. They said that passport control doesn't like people doing this and recommended against it. We opted to avoid the hassle.

The shops and services you were looking down at are not landside. They are are airside, but in the Schengen transit area of T1 (A, B, C gates). They call it the "Sky Centre". I think (not sure) it would have been possible for you to go through security into that area first and hang out there before making your way upstairs to the D/E gates. Or you could have gone through passport control again into the Sky Centre (assuming you have travel documents allowing you to re-enter the Schengen zone).

There are shops and restaurants landside and airside. I know for sure you can look down on the Sky Centre (i.e. the airside Schengen transit zone) from gates D/E. I don't believe you can see the smaller landside shopping area, which they call "La Plaza".

That's why I think you were looking at airside shops and services. But your warning is still valid: the D/E concourse has relatively few options, so if you have lots of time and the security lines don't look too bad, you might prefer to have a look around before going through.