Honest Opinions

Hi all. Not been here for a while.

Haven't been on a Thomson cruise for some time now, so would like some honest opinions.

We have been looking to book a 14 night cruise on the Celebration as we like the itinerary but on reading some of the reviews of late we are beginning to have second thoughts.

We know that Thomson have made lots of cut backs over the past few years, but are things really so bad. We know the ships are old and past their sell by date and we can live with that, but we have read some bad reviews regarding the food and entertainment being not as good as it once was, and just not the same happy atmosphere on board. Also standards of cleanliness not up to scratch due to staff cuts. Any one been on recently who can give us some sound advice.

We take on average 4 cruises per year on Thomson and although they have cut back in some area's they have also made improvements we have not experienced any major deteriation in food, entertainment or cleanliness and we have over 10 years of experience with them we have cruise's booked for both this and next year as many others on this site have. I think you will always have cruiser's with different ideas and experiences and I don't think you can honestly expect that everything will remain the same for every cruise and ship and we have on some occasions experienced disappointing entertainers but never bad food or dirty area's. But this is all just my opinion but Thomson does suit us☺☺

Hi all. Not been here for a while.

Haven't been on a Thomson cruise for some time now, so would like some honest opinions.

We have been looking to book a 14 night cruise on the Celebration as we like the itinerary but on reading some of the reviews of late we are beginning to have second thoughts.

We know that Thomson have made lots of cut backs over the past few years, but are things really so bad. We know the ships are old and past their sell by date and we can live with that, but we have read some bad reviews regarding the food and entertainment being not as good as it once was, and just not the same happy atmosphere on board. Also standards of cleanliness not up to scratch due to staff cuts. Any one been on recently who can give us some sound advice.

I was on Celebration end May/beginning of June and had one of the best cruise experiences. The food in MDR was IMO better than Spirit or Dream and the atmosphere in the bars in the evening was very friendly and buzzy. We had no problem ordering drinks as I had had on Dream.

Sunbeds or chairs on deck were hard to find on occasions but it was very hot so preferred to sit in the shade.

On arriving at our cabin, we did have to request extra towels (there were three of us and only 2 sets of towels) and for the bath to be given another clean but our cabin steward did it immediately.

We didn't watch all the Broadway shows as we had seen some before but enjoyed the ones that we did see. They were excellent as was Ben the singer in Hemingways.

Well, Pensioncruiser and I will be on the Celebration in just over 8 weeks, so hope it will be good ;) Celebration was our first ship in 2008, so looking forward to seeing all the changes.

We were on Majesty in June and although there have been a few changes e.g. no tablecloths in the buffet at night, the ship is still spotlessly clean and the food was quite good, perhaps not quite as good as our first cruise on her, but OK. The entertainment was up to usual Thomson standard.

We also did our first P&O cruise this year, which we enjoyed very much. Food was a bit better than Thomson, but Entertainment and staff just the same as Thomson.

I would say, if you fancy the itinerary, Nancy, go for it :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

We were on Celebration in June for two weeks for the first time since 2007 and we found it better than it then was....the cabins have been refurbed and were very good much better than they were and the bathroom had been totally retiled (walls and floor) with new shower and basin unit.

There was more sunbathing space than before as the sports court had been removed...my only complaint was that we couldn't find any shade on the upper decks so we sat on Prom deck ....they could put up one of those sail type things to provide a bit of shade up top!! some nice new sun beds but also some very old tatty ones that need replacing.

We thought the food was excellent in the MDR better than our last cruise with P & O......buffet was much smarter than previously and a good selection of food.

We thought the entertainment was very good although we weren't keen on the Cruise Director but that's just a personal choice we think......he wasn't quite the Stephen Guy, Keef Maynard, Ray Bauer standard in our opinion!!

I have written a review of our cruise on another popular cruise website if you want to have a peep!!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Celebration and I'm sure the standards of cleanliness were as high as ever....there was always someone polishing the handrails on the stairs and cleaning the glass or hoovering the public areas which we haven't noticed lately on our P and O cruises!!

Thank you for your replies. Was so disappointed when I read some of the reviews.

I know I can rely on people on this site for a balanced view.

The few positive reviews I read on other sites were mostly from first time cruisers with nothing to compare with. While some very negative reviews were from people who had cruised with Thomson several times or cruised with different companies.

Feeling more confident about booking now, only thing is the prices have gone up quite a bit since we started looking. Need to shop around a bit and compare with other lines as some of the newer ships have really good deals at the moment.

Dear Nancyneptune

We have been back for just over a week after 2 weeks on the Celebration. This was our third time on the Celebration and the best yet. The Adriatic and Croatian itinerary is superb.

The ship has improved over the years and the staff are as fantastic as ever.

Just about to write a full review on another popular cruise site.

Go and you will certainly enjoy.

Mike and Janice

Thanks Mike and Janice.

Went to our local independent TA to book. He tried to phone Thomson to query something as we need 1 double cabin and 1 single which he couldn't access on the system. He got put through to Thomson shop. Seems now other TAs can't get access to Thomson direct. Can only book if straight forward booking as they no longer have access to Thomson direct and can only give prices and information which are on the Thomson web site. Looks like from now on it's book a Thomson cruise with Thomson shop or online with Thomson. Dread to think what it will be like when it becomes Tui.

Anyway outcome was we got a good deal with NCL to the Adriatic. Balcony cabin, British Airways flights from our local airport, transfers and gratuities included at a better price than Thomson. Lovely modern ship. Always loved our Thomson cruises but sadly just not worth it now. Looking forward to trying a new cruise line.

We had a great cruise first 2 weeks in July. Enjoyed the ship, staff were mostly polite and very helpful, cabin huge - deck 2, food brilliant - Meridian better than our cruise on Dream 2 years ago. I don't think the recent reviews reflect the ship accurately though of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think the good reviews are somewhere else - can't say where. I haven't had time to do mine yet as work madness! but I will :) soon!

Thanks Mike and Janice.

Went to our local independent TA to book. He tried to phone Thomson to query something as we need 1 double cabin and 1 single which he couldn't access on the system. He got put through to Thomson shop. Seems now other TAs can't get access to Thomson direct. Can only book if straight forward booking as they no longer have access to Thomson direct and can only give prices and information which are on the Thomson web site. Looks like from now on it's book a Thomson cruise with Thomson shop or online with Thomson. Dread to think what it will be like when it becomes Tui.

Anyway outcome was we got a good deal with NCL to the Adriatic. Balcony cabin, British Airways flights from our local airport, transfers and gratuities included at a better price than Thomson. Lovely modern ship. Always loved our Thomson cruises but sadly just not worth it now. Looking forward to trying a new cruise line.

Dear Nancy

A real shame you could not get passed the booking process, Thomsons, cut their commission to other providers some time ago. We have been on a couple of NCL ships in the past and they are great fun and the food and entertainment is super, I am sure you will enjoy.

All the best

Mike and Janice