Day Time Flight to London

Len3

DH has decided that we should take the AM flight to London from Washington, D.C. Has anyone experienced this and does the jet lag hit on the following days?

Len,

My brother in law takes the am flight to London from Newark about 4 times a year for business. He likes it much better than the overnight flight because he goes to bed when he gets to his hotel around 10 PM and has no trouble with jetlag the next day. That's important since he's usually in London only a couple of days and needs to be very alert.

Eileen

We had an afternoon (1 p.m.) flight and arrived at about 9 a.m. in the next. We got to the hotel at about 10:30 and had to wait until 2 p.m. for check in - although our hotel did let us in the room early.

I had taken something new called 'No Jet Lag' and actually had no jet lag. I was tired by the time it was evening and went to bed a little earlier than usual, but woke the next day feeling great and ready to go - much to the annoyance of all my traveling companions (DH, GD and friends) who suffered with it for three days afterwards.

Coming home was much, much harder. It took me nearly two weeks to get readjusted...um, to the time change...not to being back from vacation. that took much longer:D

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
DH has decided that we should take the AM flight to London from Washington, D.C. Has anyone experienced this and does the jet lag hit on the following days?
If you can spare the extra day, then a day flight is a good way of reducing the effect of jet lag. I wrote a long piece about jet lag here. What the day flight does is take away the fatigue/lack of sleep issue, which is a big part of the problem.

But you must remember you still have to deal with everything else. So you will still experience some of the symptoms of jet lag. You cannot wholly avoid it.

I see that that thread also discusses "No Jet Lag". Personally, as it's a homeopathic thing, I think its effects are purely psychological. But if it works for you, then that's not a bad thing.

I've used the morning service on United from Dulles to LHR on numerous trips, and it works great. Benefits include: no lines at Immigration/Customs, no traffic into London and hotel room will be ready on arrival. If you have the day to spare, definitely the way to go.

Thanks

Archived