How would you arrange your days?

iceburg1

We will be in Bermuda for 3 days (Wed-Fri) at the end of May on the Breakaway. Looking to do the following using public ferry and bus:

1. Beachtime at Horseshoe.

2. Beachtime at Jobson's Cove and Warwick Long Bay.

3. Snorkeling at Tobacco Bay Beach.

4. Visit Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo.

5. Spend some time in Hamilton (including Harbor Nights).... so this would have to be Wednesday evening, right?

6. Spend some time in historic town of St. George.

7. Explore Royal Naval Dockyard.

Our tentative plan is:

Wednesday: Do #3 and #6 during the day followed by #5 at night.

Thursday: Do #1 and #2 together during the day followed by #7.

Friday: Do #4 and anything leftover from #7.

Does this sound reasonable? Would you change anything?

Would you do #3 (snorkeling at TB) before #6 (St. George), or reverse?

How much time should we allow for #3 and #6 including travel time?

How much time should we allow for #4 including travel time?

Is the last day doable before the ship departs? Should we switch Thursday and Friday?

Thanks for your help.

We will be in Bermuda for 3 days (Wed-Fri) at the end of May on the Breakaway. Looking to do the following using public ferry and bus:

1. Beachtime at Horseshoe.

2. Beachtime at Jobson's Cove and Warwick Long Bay.

3. Snorkeling at Tobacco Bay Beach.

4. Visit Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo.

5. Spend some time in Hamilton (including Harbor Nights).... so this would have to be Wednesday evening, right?

6. Spend some time in historic town of St. George.

7. Explore Royal Naval Dockyard.

Our tentative plan is:

Wednesday: Do #3 and #6 during the day followed by #5 at night.

Thursday: Do #1 and #2 together during the day followed by #7.

Friday: Do #4 and anything leftover from #7.

Does this sound reasonable? Would you change anything?

Would you do #3 (snorkeling at TB) before #6 (St. George), or reverse?

How much time should we allow for #3 and #6 including travel time?

How much time should we allow for #4 including travel time?

Is the last day doable before the ship departs? Should we switch Thursday and Friday?

Thanks for your help.

your plan sounds very well thought out and put together and very doable...:D

Edited by jdarch
misspelled word

I agree with the PP. As for doing Tobacco Bay or a tour of St George first, whichever you consider a 'must do', do that first.

Travel time by ferry to St George is about 40 minutes plus about 15 minutes to TB if walking, less by taxi. The last ferry from SG > Dockyard is at 5:15PM (2013 schedule).

Travel time by bus to St George is, first a 20 minute ferry ride to Hamilton and from there, a route #10 or #11 bus to SG is about a 50 minute ride.

SBtS

• 1 month later...

In our experience, going to Tobacco Bay as soon as we get off the ferry was the perfect answer for us. We were the only ones snorkelling for an hour or so. After that, it got quite busy, the water was more stirred up and so we walked into St George. Tobacco Bay is pretty tiny!

Have you thought about walking the path between Warwick and Horseshoe? This is our favorite thing to do in Bermuda!

You have done a fantastic job planning your trip! Have a a ball!

Lauri

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in on your post, but I have the same dilemma.... 3 days in early June, on a Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. With the Sunday as our first day, I may have limited options of what we can do. This is my list of to-do adventures to see. Any guidance is appreciated! BTW... we are planning on renting a double scooter, as my boyfriend is comfortable on bikes and thinks it will be no problem.

Horseshoe Bay

Tobacco Bay

BAMZ

Gibbs Lighthouse

Swizzle Inn (original)

St. George

Dunking of the wench

Dockyard area shopping and sights

Hamilton shopping and sights??

Hope this isn't too much for 3 days! LOL

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in on your post, but I have the same dilemma.... 3 days in early June, on a Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. With the Sunday as our first day, I may have limited options of what we can do. This is my list of to-do adventures to see. Any guidance is appreciated! BTW... we are planning on renting a double scooter, as my boyfriend is comfortable on bikes and thinks it will be no problem.

Horseshoe Bay

Tobacco Bay

BAMZ

Gibbs Lighthouse

Swizzle Inn (original)

St. George

Dunking of the wench

Dockyard area shopping and sights

Hamilton shopping and sights??

Hope this isn't too much for 3 days! LOL

This is how I would group your days:

• Sunday:
    • Horseshoe Bay
    • Gibbs Lighthouse

• Monday:
    • St. George & Dunking of the wench
    • Tobacco Bay
    • Swizzle Inn (original)

• Tuesday:
    • BAMZ
    • Hamilton shopping and sights??
    • Dockyard area shopping and sights

I put - Dockyard area shopping and sights – on Tuesday but since you dock there you could do it any day you have time.

The wench ducking takes place in King's Square, St George at noon.

The ferry Dockyard <> St George does not carry scooters. You have 3 choices: 1. take the ferry to St George 40 minute ferry ride, w/o the scooter and use a bus or taxi for the day; 2. ride your scooter from the Dockyard to SG, a one way distance of about 25 miles; 3. take your scooter on the ferry to Hamilton, 20 minute ride, ride your scooter from the Hamilton to SG, a one way distance of about 12 miles.

Here's a

of the ride from the Dockyard to St George ending near Fort St Catherine (I think).

SBtS

I'd love to jump in with my planning dilemma. We have three days. ... Wed - Fri. On Wed we have a. 6.5 hour tour with lunch. I was thinking original Swizzle Inn. Then possibly time in Hamilton at night after changing and dinner on Breakaway. Thursday we were going to spend time walking the beach path and Friday - the dockyard. I am just not sure if we will be able to do Hamilton after the full day tour. Spending time there at night is not as important as spending time there in general. And, I am not sure if going to Hamilton is doable after spending 3-4 hours at the five beaches. Any thoughts ?

I'd love to jump in with my planning dilemma. We have three days. ... Wed - Fri. On Wed we have a. 6.5 hour tour with lunch. I was thinking original Swizzle Inn. Then possibly time in Hamilton at night after changing and dinner on Breakaway. Thursday we were going to spend time walking the beach path and Friday - the dockyard. I am just not sure if we will be able to do Hamilton after the full day tour. Spending time there at night is not as important as spending time there in general. And, I am not sure if going to Hamilton is doable after spending 3-4 hours at the five beaches. Any thoughts ?

Questions - At what time does you tour start and end? Where will it end?

On Wednesday evening, are you planning on attending Harbour Nights in Hamilton?

If being in Hamilton for HN is not on your to do list, I would do Hamilton on Friday morning by taking the 7:30AM ferry there which should leave you enough time to do the Dockyard in the afternoon.

SBtS

Questions - At what time does you tour start and end? Where will it end?

On Wednesday evening, are you planning on attending Harbour Nights in Hamilton?

If being in Hamilton for HN is not on your to do list, I would do Hamilton on Friday morning by taking the 7:30AM ferry there which should leave you enough time to do the Dockyard in the afternoon.

SBtS

Tour is 9 to 3:30 and lunch is in the middle of that. Private tour (Winsome) is picking us up at the Dockyard at 9 am and dropping us off there when it is over. That doesn't mean we can't end the tour anywhere else. Harbour Nights looks like it would be a lot of fun, but we could skip it, we just want to spend time in Hamilton. Maybe we could have the tour end in Hamilton. Spend some time there and then head back to the boat later. Although we would miss Harbor nights at that time.

We could do Hamilton on Friday morning but it looks like we might have to book the Dolphin encounter at the dockyard around 11:30 am. (The only slot listed).

• Sunday:
    • Horseshoe Bay
    • Gibbs Lighthouse

• Monday:
    • Tobacco Bay
    • Swizzle Inn (original)

• Tuesday:
    • BAMZ

I put - Dockyard area shopping and sights – on Tuesday but since you dock there you could do it any day you have time.

The ferry Dockyard <> St George does not carry scooters. You have 3 choices: 1. take the ferry to St George 40 minute ferry ride, w/o the scooter and use a bus or taxi for the day; 2. ride your scooter from the Dockyard to SG, a one way distance of about 25 miles; 3. take your scooter on the ferry to Hamilton, 20 minute ride, ride your scooter from the Hamilton to SG, a one way distance of about 12 miles.

Here's a

of the ride from the Dockyard to St George ending near Fort St Catherine (I think).

SBtS

I've read that the wench dunking is only on Wednesdays.

I'm going on the Summit and docking on May 7th.

My plan is day 1: Warwick to horseshoe

Day 2: St George

Day 3: western Bermuda/ dockyard

But if the wench dunking only happens on Wednesday, might go there on my first day instead.

But if the wench dunking only happens on Wednesday, might go there on my first day instead.

AFAIK in the past it's been done on every weekday during the cruise season.

This web site has the wench ducking Mon-Thurs & Sat at noon - http://www.stgeorgesfoundation.org/about/visitors-information/

SBtS

Hi there! I'm also in need of some help planning my days in Bermuda. We will be sailing on the Explorer of the Seas May3. We will be in Bermuda Monday 5th and Tuesday 6th. We definitely want to go to Horseshoe Bay, BAMZ, explore the dockyard and potentially Hamilton. How should I plan these activities since we're only there 2 days? Also, would walking the beach path be suitable for children? My daughter is 7 and my son is 4.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm open (especially things for the kids). This is our first time in Bermuda.

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there! I'm also in need of some help planning my days in Bermuda. We will be sailing on the Explorer of the Seas May3. We will be in Bermuda Monday 5th and Tuesday 6th. We definitely want to go to Horseshoe Bay, BAMZ, explore the dockyard and potentially Hamilton. How should I plan these activities since we're only there 2 days? Also, would walking the beach path be suitable for children? My daughter is 7 and my son is 4.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm open (especially things for the kids). This is our first time in Bermuda.

Thanks!!!

We will be on Explorer June 28 with an 11 and 9 year old. Planning on doing Horseshoe Bay one day, BAMZ the next. Since you are leaving tomorrow, I look forward to hearing how this went for you.

SBIS has been great in offering advice on public transportation, but I guess I am a bit nervous in being "the one" to guide my family about. I would guess that we can get a bus schedule when we purchase the tickets?

Thanks for any advice!

Stacy

• Sunday:
    • Horseshoe Bay
    • Gibbs Lighthouse

• Monday:
    • Tobacco Bay
    • Swizzle Inn (original)

• Tuesday:
    • BAMZ

Here's a

SBtS

We've decided to pass on the scooters, mostly because of the cost of a 3-day rental.

Our ship, the Dawn, doesn't arrive until 11 am on Sunday, so I'm assuming it takes some time to finally get off the ship, buy bus/ferry tickets, etc. I want more than just a couple of hours at Horseshoe/Warwick, since Gibbs closes at 4:30. Might switch my HB day to Monday and do BAMZ on Sunday. That would mean doing St. George/Swizzle on Tuesday. Would just have to make sure we're back by 4 pm!

Thoughts??

We've decided to pass on the scooters, mostly because of the cost of a 3-day rental.

Our ship, the Dawn, doesn't arrive until 11 am on Sunday, so I'm assuming it takes some time to finally get off the ship, buy bus/ferry tickets, etc. I want more than just a couple of hours at Horseshoe/Warwick, since Gibbs closes at 4:30. Might switch my HB day to Monday and do BAMZ on Sunday. That would mean doing St. George/Swizzle on Tuesday. Would just have to make sure we're back by 4 pm!

Thoughts??

Gibbs L/H is currently closed for repairs and painting; S/B open soon. Read this thread.

Many who participate in this forum feel it is not a good idea to do St George on departure day being that SG is on the other end of the island.

On Tuesday, the ferry departs SG at 10:15AM, 12:15PM, and 2:15PM, only, for the 40 minute ferry ride to the Dockyard.

The route #10 and #11 buses from SG depart every 15 minutes in combination. It is a 50 minute bus ride to Hamilton, but then you have to board the ferry to the Dockyard for the 20 minute ride. The ferry from Hamilton departs once an hour on the :00.

Anywhere I wrote bus, you can substitute the word taxi. It would be an expensive option, but less than airplane tickets should you miss the cruise ship.

With good planning, it may work, but as it is said - the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry

SBtS