What to do thats not all beach? Parents 45th anniversary trip and want to plan it...

rene194215

Hello! My parents are going on a cruise in May going to Grand Turk, LaRomana, Curacao and Aruba. My mom has been on 1 cruise to the Bahamas but she also had been there before as has my dad. Otherwise their travels have been in the US. They have not been to any Islands before and I am trying to find excursions that they will both feel comfortable doing. Althought thier anniversary is in July, (45 years!!!) they are going away a bit earlier.

One curve ball is that my dad had burned his leg a few years ago and it needs to be covered. He can go to the beach but in the shade with the leg covered most of the time. Some sun with sunscreen on is ok. My mom cannot walk a LONG time due to s foot issue. Other wise they are in great shape!!

So, what it comes down to is that I am looking for something, possibly a tour of the Island? Not a lot of beachy type excursions. I have not been to these islands before so I really cant think of much. I looked at Carnivals excursions and am not that excited about most of them. I would appreciate any help and advise!!!

Also, I am posting this on each Island forum.

I agree with 2 cruzen's suggestion. Try the Sand Bar for lunch in Cockburntown. Covered patio/deck. Two owners hustle and take good care of you. Food is good too. Not much at the lighthouse, but nice vista. If your parents are back at the cruise port early and want some beach time, have them head to the other side of the Dufry shop away from Margaritaville. There are loungers and more shade there. Also "older crowd" and quieter. Be sure they head back to the ship earlier than the last 45 minutes to departure. Some ships have long lines waiting to re-embark and they'll be in the sun the whole time.

This will be our second time on GT, so we are planning on grabbing a taxi at the Cruise Center and having them take us to the lighthouse and then downtown for lunch. There is a nice map of the downtown area at www.grandturkcc.com

Good luck with the planning!

Thank you for the information! Do you know how much a taxi is? Do they give you any information about the Island?

Go to the link and click on Island information at the top. On the left side of that page is a link for taxi information. Cockburntown is in Zone B $5 pp. Lighthouse is in Zone D, $9 pp. But many drivers will work with cruisers to set up an all inclusive cost. Drivers are typically very informative and friendly. Just have your parents speak to the driver and be comfortable with the person, the taxi condition and the price before getting into the taxi. Have them read up a bit on GT before going and then they can ask better questions and spend more time at areas that interest them rather than seeing a bit of everything.

• 3 weeks later...
Go to the link and click on Island information at the top. On the left side of that page is a link for taxi information. Cockburntown is in Zone B $5 pp. Lighthouse is in Zone D, $9 pp. But many drivers will work with cruisers to set up an all inclusive cost. Drivers are typically very informative and friendly. Just have your parents speak to the driver and be comfortable with the person, the taxi condition and the price before getting into the taxi. Have them read up a bit on GT before going and then they can ask better questions and spend more time at areas that interest them rather than seeing a bit of everything.

Hello-

Do the taxi drivers give a "tour like" expirience or do they just drive? I really want them to have a great time!

Hello-

Do the taxi drivers give a "tour like" expirience or do they just drive? I really want them to have a great time!

Probably depends on the driver. Have your parents talk with the driver before getting in and not to feel intimidated if they don't feel comfortable or the driver seems to shrug them off. Most GTers I have met are proud of their island and know it's history and mythology well.