Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan

Winter2010

Hello,

We just booked the 7NT Caribbean cruise on the Adventure of Seas on Jan 21/17 departing San Juan at 8:30pm. We need to start looking info flights and hotel if we can arrive 1 day before the cruise. Can anyone advise what time we can get on the ship? There are flights that arriving at 2pm or 3pm on the day the ship departs San Juan, Jan 21/17. Is this too risky as we are in the middle of winter? We usually try to get to the port the day before but limited vacation time might not make that happen.

Thanks!

I can answer you. I have cruised out of San Juan multiple times, including twice on Adventure with two more sailings on her coming up. We are also on the sailing right before yours! Seeing that you are from Canada, it is HIGHLY ADVISABLE that you arrive at least one day before embarkation day.

Your travel documents will say otherwise, but you can arrive at the pier and board at around noon or slightly before. We always arrive early to avoid the crowds and start enjoying the ship. You can technically board up to 90 minutes before departure, but I feel that it is way too risky, especially if you have connecting flights. There is just too much that can go wrong.

If I were you, I would try to get an extra day off work and arrive the day before. You will enjoy yourself and arrive at the pier relaxed and ready to cruise. Cruising from San Juan is fantastic. I'm sure you will enjoy the climate change that time of the year!

Edited to say: If you post this on the Royal Caribbean board and/or do a search of that board, you will find a lot of useful information. There are several good and recent review threads on Adventure.

Edited by khm1

Hi khm1,

We have resisted this itinerary for so long because it starts out of San Juan. The multiple flights to get there and home will exhaust us and only for 7 night cruise (but it's better than staying at home)! I didn't know that we can board at noon so that is very good to know.

Oh, I finally found the roll call for this sailing!

Thank you!

Just off (May 21st) Adventure from a B2B...both sailings passengers were onboard by 11:30am. We did a few days pre-cruise in San Juan and stayed at the Sheraton in Old San Juan...great location.

We have also on a previous cruise out of San Juan our flight arrived at approx 2:30pm day of cruise...with no problem...however our pre-cruise that time was in Fort Lauderdale flying from FLL-SJU.

Do what ever will work for you and if arriving day of cruise...so be it...don't let the many on these boards scare you about personal choices you have to make....But if you can arrive a day before...all the better.

Also when making your return flight don't be too concerned about an early one...We were easily off the ship at 7:15 and at SJU through the agriculture check, airline checkin and TSA before 8:30am for our 10:30 am flight home.

Hi Ashland - Thank you for the information, especially the hotel. Can you believe that the rooms are all booked that weekend at the Sheraton?! I have to keep checking just in case there are cancellations but I will need to look for another hotel.

I found a "relaxing" flights home on AA, leaving at 3pm from San Juan to Dallas with an overnight layover. We can check in at the Sheraton DFW Airport then fly home on another direct flight the next morning. It's the weekend so we could take our time and get home rested. Unfortunately, the flights to San Juan will not be relaxing, 2-3 flight segments with long layover. The only way we can be safe and not too exhausted is to get to San Juan the day before the cruise, especially the 1st port is on the next day. We do love the itinerary, 7 nights with only 1 sea day at the end to give us a chance to pack up.

Thanks so much!

We are in the San Francisco Bay Area so it is also long trip for us to San Juan, but we enjoyed it so much once before that we are doing it again. Plane fare in the summer is a killer, but what is one to do. We have one stop each way so not too bad.

We sailed the Serenade five years ago out of San Juan. Arrived the day before about 1:30 P.M. and had a few hours in Old San Juan, but it was just too rushed. We did not stay in Old San Juan, which I later regretted.

We are sailing on the Adventure on June 25th and this time we planned much better.

We are arriving very early in the morning on the 23rd so will have two full days.

Staying at the El Convento in Old San Juan. I booked the hotel. last year and got a very good rate. The last time we were there we walked in and said the the next time we would stay here. Since we can't cruise too often staying there has had to wait five years.

The hotel is going to let us drop our luggage off when we get there and then we are off to explore. We plan to tour the forts, are doing the Flavors of Old San Juan Tour and going to try to see much more this time.

We will be able to relaxed and ready when head to the pier. No breakfast that last morning. We always get on the ship early and have a good lunch.

The biggest issue in San Juan is depending on Taxis. From the airport to the hotel. Hotel to Pan Am Pier and then from the Pier to the airport. Bring plenty of cash.

You will enjoy sailing from San Juan.

We are in the San Francisco Bay Area so it is also long trip for us to San Juan, but we enjoyed it so much once before that we are doing it again. Plane fare in the summer is a killer, but what is one to do. We have one stop each way so not too bad.

We sailed the Serenade five years ago out of San Juan. Arrived the day before about 1:30 P.M. and had a few hours in Old San Juan, but it was just too rushed. We did not stay in Old San Juan, which I later regretted.

We are sailing on the Adventure on June 25th and this time we planned much better.

We are arriving very early in the morning on the 23rd so will have two full days.

Staying at the El Convento in Old San Juan. I booked the hotel. last year and got a very good rate. The last time we were there we walked in and said the the next time we would stay here. Since we can't cruise too often staying there has had to wait five years.

The hotel is going to let us drop our luggage off when we get there and then we are off to explore. We plan to tour the forts, are doing the Flavors of Old San Juan Tour and going to try to see much more this time.

We will be able to relaxed and ready when head to the pier. No breakfast that last morning. We always get on the ship early and have a good lunch.

The biggest issue in San Juan is depending on Taxis. From the airport to the hotel. Hotel to Pan Am Pier and then from the Pier to the airport. Bring plenty of cash.

You will enjoy sailing from San Juan.

Taxi's aren't an issue at all (at least for us) their fixed rate by zones and very honest, efficient with helpful friendly driver's....our rates varied by just a few $'s with luggage and tip..from SJU to Sheraton Old San Juan from there to the Pan American Pier and from there back to SJU..yes bring cash..but I think you'll be surprised just how affordable taxi's are.