Reed Princess: Thank you and a Question

tip

First I want to thank you for saving me time and aggravation by pointing out that my cruise (Royal Princess 1/14) will be docking at Castries and not at Soufriere.

That being said, me darling wife and I have taken the standard tours of St. Lucia in the past. By the time we arrive, we shall already have experienced three beach days in less than a week. We are looking at touring some estates or gardens within easy walking and/or driving distance of Castries. You have pointed out that the Diamond Botanical Gardens and the Mourne Coubaril Estate are really just too far. Do you have any suggestions? Thanking you in advance.

Edited by tip

First I want to thank you for saving me time and aggravation by pointing out that my cruise (Royal Princess 1/14) will be docking at Castries and not at Soufriere.

That being said, me darling wife and I have taken the standard tours of St. Lucia in the past. By the time we arrive, we shall already have experienced three beach days in less than a week. We are looking at touring some estates or gardens within easy walking and/or driving distance of Castries. You have pointed out that the Diamond Botanical Gardens and the Mourne Coubaril Estate are really just too far. Do you have any suggestions? Thanking you in advance.

Hmm, that's tough as Castries is very much a working city, there's few gardens or plantations right in the heart of the city... You could try Pink Plantation House up on the Morne....Maybe 15 minute cab ride (mostly through the city and up the hill, not walkable). Definitely contact them in advance. Great for lunch when open.

Further north, there's Pigeon Island, with ruins, hikes, small beach, great local restaurant, etc. Maybe worth a view...There's a small plantation in Cap Estate that has some gardens, but for the life of me, the name is escaping me. Old Stone House or Old Mill or something like that...completely escapes me right now. Sorry.

Have you been to LaTille Falls? An absolutely beautiful fully self sustaining gardens and waterfalls down near Micoud area...waterfall, swimming, rope swing, beautiful gardens, etc.. Maybe worth checking out...not walking distance though, about 45/1 cab ride..

Good luck and enjoy your visit..

Reading this thread caused me to check our itinerary and we also will be docking in Castries. Having not beeen to St Lucia before, I did not realize that there were two options.....glad to know this so thank you!

Is Castries going to be closer to the main areas to be seen on the island? We would like to reduce 'bus/driving' time as much as possible as I understand the roads to be full of twists and turns - which is a struggle for me.

Also, LaTille falls.....are there any tours that will take you to this location via boat and then vehicle, thus reducing drive time? Are there tour operators from Castries who offer the boat then drive option as there are in the main port?

Thank you.

Reading this thread caused me to check our itinerary and we also will be docking in Castries. Having not beeen to St Lucia before, I did not realize that there were two options.....glad to know this so thank you!

Is Castries going to be closer to the main areas to be seen on the island? We would like to reduce 'bus/driving' time as much as possible as I understand the roads to be full of twists and turns - which is a struggle for me.

Also, LaTille falls.....are there any tours that will take you to this location via boat and then vehicle, thus reducing drive time? Are there tour operators from Castries who offer the boat then drive option as there are in the main port?

Thank you.

There is only one main port on the island, and that's the Port of Castries. Some small ships will occasionally anchor at Pigeon Island or Soufriere and tender guests in, but larger ships can't do it based in water depth and simple docking facilities for tenders... There just isn't capacity

Castries is in the north of the island. Soufriere, with rhe Pitons, volcano, botanical gardens, waterfalls, snorkeking, diving, most hiking, mud baths, etc is southwest - and about 1.15-1.5 hours via car over mountainous roads, or 45 minutes via fast speedboat - not for the faint of heart or those with back issues...

Spencer Ambrose offers a beach break or beach break and land portion which is speedboat both ways to Soufriere, and around 4-5 hours on Jalousie Beach for the Break tour, or van to the sites (15 minute max ride) then some beach time at Jalousie. Prices include lunch, entrance fees, drinks, etc

Joy's Ocean Angel offers speedboat tours to Soufriere also.

Joe Knows offers a good speed boat tour.

Herod's does a land sea tour, ie land down for all the sites, then speedboat return.

Serenity TVL offers combos.

And so on.

LaTille is on the East coast, and inland. No boat tour or combo boat tours to visit it. Beautiful, beautiful setting and exorrience but easily 45-1 hours by vehicle. There's no way around it.

Pigeon Island could be good comprise. About 30 minutes north of port over easy normal "city" roads. National Park with hiking, small beach, ruins of old British fort, etc..

Enjoy your visit..

Thank you ReedPrincess. I guess one more question comes to mind - given your mention of bad backs on the speedboat - - are there any non-speedboat non-mountainous road options? For instance, a boat ride that isn't necessarily a speedboat? I hike all the time and would love to get to that part of the island....but husband has had spinal surgery so I want to be cognizant of that.

Also, with these roads being such, would it be safe to think that the typical large tour bus are not used, or are the 40 passenger buses the norm there? Thanks much!!

Thank you ReedPrincess. I guess one more question comes to mind - given your mention of bad backs on the speedboat - - are there any non-speedboat non-mountainous road options? For instance, a boat ride that isn't necessarily a speedboat? I hike all the time and would love to get to that part of the island....but husband has had spinal surgery so I want to be cognizant of that.

Also, with these roads being such, would it be safe to think that the typical large tour bus are not used, or are the 40 passenger buses the norm there? Thanks much!!

There are catamaran trips down to Soufriere. Carnival, Bateau Mygo, Endless Summer, Binti. SeaSpray, and so on all offer cat trips.. Buses on the island are mostly mini-van, ie, they sent 14 people.. A few of the larger 30/40 person buses but that's as big as it gets...out roads won't tolerate larger. You can also hire a private driver at the port or book a private tour in smaller vehicles..