Yen for Tokyo

onthelake

I have read that Japan is very cash based and not to count on using debit/credit cards for most items. I am trying to determine our needs and I am hung up on the entry fees for different sites. We all spend differently but I am trying to find out if most 'must see' sites accept credit cards or will I need yen. I don't want to run short or miss out on a site we really want to see by not having cash.

We will be spending about 4 days in Tokyo and then a couple more cruise stops. Also, if anyone knows if there are taxis offering tours at Hakodate and Muroran and I'd so, do they only accept cash. Thank you.

see the response from 2015 on Trip Advisors

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k8670780-Credit_Cards_in_Japan-Japan.html

I normally use ATM's to get yen as needed. I use the ATM's at Narita and I think Haneda has ATM's. Check with your bank to see if their network covers Japan. The post office also has ATMs, but the hours may not be convenient.

I have read that Japan is very cash based and not to count on using debit/credit cards for most items. I am trying to determine our needs and I am hung up on the entry fees for different sites. We all spend differently but I am trying to find out if most 'must see' sites accept credit cards or will I need yen. I don't want to run short or miss out on a site we really want to see by not having cash.

We will be spending about 4 days in Tokyo and then a couple more cruise stops. Also, if anyone knows if there are taxis offering tours at Hakodate and Muroran and I'd so, do they only accept cash. Thank you.

Credit cards are widely accepted. We had no problem using our cards.

On the other hand ATMS are a different story. Only at Post Offices and 711s are ATMs for North American cards.

We purchased about $900 in Yen from Bank of America (if you have a BoA credit card or account you can use this service) that has about the best exchange rate you can find from a bank in the US.

By the way, taxis are very expensive in Japan. There are many tours you can take to Mt. Fuji and elsewhere available in Tokyo.

• 4 weeks later...
not sure if the following will help you. I have a Citibank account so I don't have a problem in using the ATM's in most countries.

http://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-travel/travel-banks-in-japan

I was able to use a Visa debit card from Wells Fargo Bank at an ATM in a small 7/11 store in Kyoto. Minimum withdraw was 10,000 Yen (about 100 USD.)

For rail, bus and subway travel throughout Japan, I used a Suica card issued by JR which I preloaded with Yen at the JR station at Narita. This really made traveling easy, since you could just tap it on the turnstiles when entering and leaving rather than having to stop and buy tickets.