Live From (maybe) Wonder 1/13-1/20

Steelers0854

Hope nobody found the OP's comments as "entitlement" as I did, it's amazing how ugly some of the been-there veteran cruisers' comments can sound to us wide-eyed newbies.

You really are an odd one Eric!

I never saw or interpreted even a hint of entitlement from Steelers.

I read a balanced and fair review IMO of their cruise.

Just because you do not agree with someone, or have other parts of a vacation that interest you and are more important to you (like movies for example in your specific case) does not mean someone is behaving with entitlement.

If any of my comments have appeared to be "ugly" to you, as a wide-eyed newbie, I am sorry.

But you are on a site with Critic in the name, not fan club, so you should expect opposing views on subjects, and veterans warning others of their expectations sometimes being too high, genuine entitlement issues, and when to just let it go.

If you only want to read positive things about DCL, CC is not the place to read.

This site is part of the Trip Advisor group, and as such, people are free to voice their praise and critique of a cruise line. And others are free to correct or point out the overly high expectations or agree with posters if they wish to.

This is not a place just for praise.

ex techie

Yummy healthy food on the Love Boat?

Weren't they just eating 6 course meals in the dining room?

The Dream has salads and wraps available on the pool deck? What other healthy snacks would you wish to have available?

ex techie

Actually, Celebrity has a location for healthy meals/snacks throughout the day. My favorite was their salmon, grilled while you waited. They also had an assortment of salads, wraps, fruit, etc. and at least one other grilled while you wait item. While that sounds similar to the wraps and fruit on the Dream, it was a classier place with better tasting food than the DCL ships. But yes, the wraps and salads, along with the munchies from the Cove Cafe make for good snacks.

I really enjoyed your review on here and comparison review on the Princess board.

I think you were fair and balanced, and it was very well written.

ex techie

Thank you sir, I appreciate that. We really did have a very enjoyable cruise.

I really enjoyed your review on here and comparison review on the Princess board.

I think you were fair and balanced, and it was very well written.

ex techie

I echo Techie's sentiments re: your review.

I do think that you might not have got a full sample of the DCL experience since you had multiple hangups - fog issue, late debarkation, missed ports, etc. I think that if those things hadn't happened, your review might have been very similar, but more "sunny" or "rosy", if that makes sense.

So far, best review of the new Wonder I've been able to find!

After growing up watching the LoveBoat, I expected to have lots of choices for yummy healthy food on my first cruise.

Another first-cruise generation who grew up on the Love Boat. (I know I'll keep referring to the cruise directors as "Julie", even if they're guys.) :p

Just out of curiosity, looked up the Pacific Princess on PCL's website, just to see if they still had any future itineraries, and the description read, "Why not try a smaller ship for your cruise vacation?"

I...guess a few things have changed since then.

You really are an odd one Eric!

I never saw or interpreted even a hint of entitlement from Steelers.

I read a balanced and fair review IMO of their cruise.

If any of my comments have appeared to be "ugly" to you, as a wide-eyed newbie, I am sorry.

But you are on a site with Critic in the name, not fan club, so you should expect opposing views on subjects, and veterans warning others of their expectations sometimes being too high, genuine entitlement issues, and when to just let it go.

Didn't expect praise--in fact, wanted a good review of the Wonder, and it's otherwise a good one--but some of the regular cruisers who've been on every line can sound a little been-there-and-done-that, as any cruise's offerings can follow the same pattern, and "They don't offer snacks at all hours, not like (PCL/Carnival/etc.)!" did sound a little regular-tourist entitlement out of context.

Again, no harm done, just reminding that all review opinions are subjective, and might reflect on the reviewer if they don't always come out right.

Edited by EJanss

Didn't expect praise--in fact, wanted a good review of the Wonder, and it's otherwise a good one--but some of the regular cruisers who've been on every line can sound a little been-there-and-done-that, as any cruise's offerings can follow the same pattern, and "They don't offer snacks at all hours, not like (PCL/Carnival/etc.)!" did sound a little regular-tourist entitlement out of context.

Again, no harm done, just reminding that all review opinions are subjective, and might reflect on the reviewer if they don't always come out right.

I would agree with you if Steelers had said it was outrageous or unacceptable that the buffet wasn't open for longer hours, or the food offerings were unacceptably limited.

However, they just stated that they disliked the limited hours and in comparison to other lines, they are very limited.

That is both true, and a fair comment IMO.

Why they do not have the buffet available on one side of Cabana's and the other open for table service is ridiculous to me. Yes there are staffing challenges with that set up, but they could even have the buffet and table service on one side. then the Guest gets to chose how to dine?

Your interpretation of the review seems to be the only thing amiss, at least to me.

ex techie

[quote name=EJanss;52090107

Didn't expect praise--in fact' date=' wanted a good review of the Wonder, and it's otherwise a good one--but some of the regular cruisers who've been on every line can sound a little been-there-and-done-that, as any cruise's offerings can follow the same pattern, and "They don't offer snacks at all hours, not like (PCL/Carnival/etc.)!" did sound a little regular-tourist entitlement out of context.

True, all opinions are subjective. But I saw nothing wrong with Steelers' comments. They were expressed without drama or demands as just that--his opinion. Having been on lines that had at least half of their buffet open from the start of breakfast till bedtime, I can somewhat agree with him. I like the DCL system of a sit down in Cabanas in the evening, but the hours are too restricted (6-8:30). That's basically the same as the MDR...so if you were going to miss the MDR for some reason, you'd also miss Cabanas. That leaves your only option for a "real" meal to be room service. That's a fair criticism.

He didn't say much about room service selections or quality as a meal, so maybe he didn't try it for that. Many people use room service as a "snack" source.

There is nothing wrong with comparing lines, especially when stated at the outset that it is the intent of the post. I saw no sense of entitlement in any of the comments in the review.

Edited by moki'smommy

Actually' date=' Celebrity has a location for healthy meals/snacks throughout the day. My favorite was their salmon, grilled while you waited. They also had an assortment of salads, wraps, fruit, etc. and at least one other grilled while you wait item. While that sounds similar to the wraps and fruit on the Dream, it was a classier place with better tasting food than the DCL ships. But yes, the wraps and salads, along with the munchies from the Cove Cafe make for good snacks.[/quote']

Freshly grilled salmon or chicken sounds great!

ex techie

True' date=' all opinions are subjective. But I saw nothing wrong with Steelers' comments. They were expressed without drama or demands as just that--his opinion. Having been on lines that had at least half of their buffet open from the start of breakfast till bedtime, I can somewhat agree with him. I like the DCL system of a sit down in Cabanas in the evening, but the hours are too restricted (6-8:30). That's basically the same as the MDR...so if you were going to miss the MDR for some reason, you'd also miss Cabanas. That leaves your only option for a "real" meal to be room service. That's a fair criticism.

He didn't say much about room service selections or quality as a meal, so maybe he didn't try it for that. Many people use room service as a "snack" source.

There is nothing wrong with comparing lines, especially when stated at the outset that it is the intent of the post. I saw no sense of entitlement in any of the comments in the review.[/quote']

I think Cabana's should be open until 10/10:30pm, with sit down service between 6-9pm and a buffet only after that.

ex techie