Please advises what to do in Le Havre- France

adx74

Can anyone advise what is the best way to spend a day in Le Havre or nearest neighborhoods. I am not the type of tourist eager to spend time in museums. A good local guide for a tour would be a good recommendation for me. Any others tips are welcome.

There are several terminal in Le Havre, or only one? If there are many please advise how can I find the info where the ship will be docked (MSC line). What is the best way to travel between port and tourist area? Some recommendations for tasting some local food?

Thank you!

What to do in Le Havre? Leave! Seriously, Le Havre is not a particularly charming city and most use it as a gateway port to go to various places in Normandy. If you are looking for the closest "cute" town it would be Honfleur. You also can go to the D-Day sites although you would need to be on a tour or have a rental car. Another option is to take the train (or a tour) to Rouen. Many other cruisers will take the long (2/1/2 hours) trek into Paris. As to the docking location, there is only one terminal generally used by cruise ships. However, if there happen to be too many ships in the port on a given day a ship could be sent to any of several other commercial docking sites close to the city. Here is a link to Tom's Port Guide for Le Havre. Tom is simply a frequent cruiser who does a great job researching and writing about ports and the options:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/LeHavre-11-20-2013.pdf

Hank

While docked in Le Havre, we walked to the bus station and took the bus to Honfleur in the morning and returned in the afternoon. It was not hard to do, especially since the ship was in port for several hours. Once in Honfleur, we walked around the town, shopped and enjoyed a really good seafood lunch in the old harbor. It was a great day, relaxing and easy.

What to do in Le Havre? Leave! Seriously, Le Havre is not a particularly charming city and most use it as a gateway port to go to various places in Normandy. If you are looking for the closest "cute" town it would be Honfleur. You also can go to the D-Day sites although you would need to be on a tour or have a rental car. Another option is to take the train (or a tour) to Rouen. Many other cruisers will take the long (2/1/2 hours) trek into Paris. As to the docking location, there is only one terminal generally used by cruise ships. However, if there happen to be too many ships in the port on a given day a ship could be sent to any of several other commercial docking sites close to the city. Here is a link to Tom's Port Guide for Le Havre. Tom is simply a frequent cruiser who does a great job researching and writing about ports and the options:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/LeHavre-11-20-2013.pdf

Hank

Hank has said pretty-well word-for-word what I'd have said.

Thank you for saving my typing finger, Hank ;)

JB :)

Hank has said pretty-well word-for-word what I'd have said.

Thank you for saving my typing finger, Hank ;)

Hi JB, Am wondering if you have become a Guinness man since we met? Still cannot understand an English gentleman who does not drink Guinness :).

Hank

Hi JB, Am wondering if you have become a Guinness man since we met? Still cannot understand an English gentleman who does not drink Guinness :).

Hank

Just because I agree with you about Le Havre, Hank, it doesn't mean I agree with you about that primeval black Irish ooze. :eek:

I have standards to maintain :p

Edited by John Bull

While docked in Le Havre, we walked to the bus station and took the bus to Honfleur in the morning and returned in the afternoon. It was not hard to do, especially since the ship was in port for several hours. Once in Honfleur, we walked around the town, shopped and enjoyed a really good seafood lunch in the old harbor. It was a great day, relaxing and easy.

Where do you catch the bus? What was the name of the restaurant where you had lunch? Thanks!

FritzG, the bus station is directly behind the train station, northwest of the cruise terminal. I'm guessing about 20 minutes to get there, a reasonable walk. We walked out of the cruise terminal and followed the signs and the painted footsteps on the sidewalk (lol) and as we got closer, we fell in behind the crowd of people with roller bags. So, it was easy.

The bus schedule is online at Busverts.fr and buy your ticket in advance at the station. We found it wise to get there a bit early because the tickets can sell out. It's a very popular option to go to Honfleur for the day. People start queuing early.

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but there are many along the old harbor, and they all looked great. We picked one just past the carousel and sat outside, drank wine and ate scampi in the sun. Fantastic day!

So, unless you are there on a Sunday or a holiday, there are buses going in the morning and returning in the afternoon. If you get the schedule ahead of time, you can do a little planning and see if it is doable for you.

Edited by Chloe1500

Regarding the restaurants in Honfleur, DW and I have enjoyed lunch at quite a few over the years and have always been satisfied. Our advice is to eat lunch (a long lunch) in one of the café/restaurants that line the small Honfleur harbor. Before making a decision we suggest just strolling around the entire harbor area and looking at the various "menus" paying special attention to the specials of the day (carte de jour). Many of the restaurants serve the freshest seafood so the offerings really vary from day to day. DW and I have found that the mussels (when in season) are among the best we have eaten anywhere. With the harbor restaurants you do have a choice whether to eat inside or outdoors (they actually have some great tables right along the quay). Keep in mind that smoking is allowed outdoors, and being Europe there is still too many smokers....especially among the young adults.

Hank

Because of my limited walking ability, last year we grabbed a cab just outside the pier (there were a bunch waiting for folks coming off the boat) who drove us to Honfleur, drove aroung the upper town and dropped us off next to the main area. We agreed to a meeting time and he was on time. The main shopping and restaurant area is the boat basin where fishing boats used to tie up but is now home to sailing yachts of wealthy Parisians. The basin has surrounded by 14th and 15th century shops and homes http://www.pbase.com/gsrunyan/image/154211910.

Glenn::cool:

Because of my limited walking ability, last year we grabbed a cab just outside the pier (there were a bunch waiting for folks coming off the boat) who drove us to Honfleur, drove aroung the upper town and dropped us off next to the main area. We agreed to a meeting time and he was on time. The main shopping and restaurant area is the boat basin where fishing boats used to tie up but is now home to sailing yachts of wealthy Parisians. The basin has surrounded by 14th and 15th century shops and homes http://www.pbase.com/gsrunyan/image/154211910.

Glenn::cool:

Could you tell us how much the cab cost and how many hours the trip was?

Could you tell us how much the cab cost and how many hours the trip was?

The last time we were in Le Havre (about 11 months ago) the taxis were asking for 25 Euros per person to drive them (one way) to Honfleur. It takes about 20-25 min to get from the port to Honfleur in a car. As much as DW and I love Honfleur (we have stopped there for lunch many times) it is not a place we normally recommend for an entire port day.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
We were thinking of taking the train to Rouen, anyone do that?

Yep and its no problem if you have a long cruise day. Getting from the port to the train station is a long walk (took us over 45 min) or a quick cab ride.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
Yep and its no problem if you have a long cruise day. Getting from the port to the train station is a long walk (took us over 45 min) or a quick cab ride.

Hank

Thanks Hank, we are planning on taking a taxi to the train station. We do have a long cruise day not sailing til 9 PM. When we arrive at Rouen, are there any tour guides for a walking tour. I have not found any as of yet. The only thing I have found is an audio you can rent from the tourist bureau? Any Ideas? Mary

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

We will be docked in Le Havre from 7 am to 9 pm in early September. We have a rental car reserved to pick up at the port for the day.

Plan A is to try to drive to Mont St Michel, as it is a top wish of one of our group. However he has agreed that if the weather is foul or the traffic is scary, we will not pursue that plan.

We need a Plan B, just in case. We have the rental car for the day. We don't need a five star Plan B. We just need some suggestions for the day with the car.

What do we like? A little art. A little museum. A little good eating, especially French cuisine. A little genuine experience of being in France. We speak passable French, BTW.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

We will be docked in Le Havre from 7 am to 9 pm in early September. We have a rental car reserved to pick up at the port for the day.

Plan A is to try to drive to Mont St Michel, as it is a top wish of one of our group. However he has agreed that if the weather is foul or the traffic is scary, we will not pursue that plan.

We need a Plan B, just in case. We have the rental car for the day. We don't need a five star Plan B. We just need some suggestions for the day with the car.

What do we like? A little art. A little museum. A little good eating, especially French cuisine. A little genuine experience of being in France. We speak passable French, BTW.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Must admit that having stopped (and spent a night) at Mont St Michael we prefer to see the place at dusk and after dark. And we assume you are award that making the trek from the port will take you at least 5 hours (round trip). Traffic will not be a big problem except perhaps as you near your destination on the 2 lane road.

As to Plan B, let us assume the worst for weather and that it is not reasonable to be outside. On really rainy days most folks want to find indoor activities. We agree that driving the Bayeux and seeing the tapestry (and other items in that same venue) is a good option. We would also recommend visiting the Peace Museum in Caen, which can easily be combined with Bayeux. In fact, the Peace Museum is a fantastic place and will take you much longer to see then the tapestry. So you have two museums and then you find a decent restaurant to enjoy a long lunch. And that is about as good as will get on a really dreary day.

Hank

Thank you for the excellent suggestions. Yes, we know how long the drive will be, but we are a group of three and one person has his heart set on this. He's very accommodating of our preferences, so it's only fair that we try to get to Mont St Michel. We should have lots of time, so we can break up the trip a bit. However, he has agreed that if the weather is poor, we will not attempt all that driving.

I honestly don't think I can take the emotion of the WWII memorial sites. Forty years ago I stood on the beach at Dieppe and wept, I was so overcome with the idea of all those young men suffering and dying where I was standing. It's not that I don't want to know or remember, I do.

I think Bayeux and Caen sound great for our Plan B. Thank you Hank, I almost hope it rains so I can see that Peace Museum.

• 3 weeks later...
The last time we were in Le Havre (about 11 months ago) the taxis were asking for 25 Euros per person to drive them (one way) to Honfleur. It takes about 20-25 min to get from the port to Honfleur in a car. As much as DW and I love Honfleur (we have stopped there for lunch many times) it is not a place we normally recommend for an entire port day.

Hank

Is that accurate, per person for cab fare? So o 4 persons is 100Euros ea way?

Is that accurate, per person for cab fare? So o 4 persons is 100Euros ea way?

Yes, unfortunately that is what the few taxis at the port were asking and we even questioned one about his fare (even though we were walking to the train station to travel to Rouen that day). There was a mini-van Taxi first in the taxi queue (of about 4 cabs) and he angered some folks by demanding 25 Euros per person. I talked to him and suggested his fare was ridiculous and that should be the fare per taxi. His response is not printable here :). The other taxis were holding out for a full or half day tour.

Having been to France many times (on both cruises and lengthy driving trips) DW and I have no love of French taxis (except in Paris where they are fine). There is just no way to predict whether you will find taxis willing to work who charge reasonable rates or whether the taxis will all have an "attitude."

On that same day that we went to Rouen (it was a beautiful Saturday) DW walked all the way to the train station and spent the day in Rouen. When we returned about 5pm (our ship was not leaving until 10) we decided to grab a taxi back to the ship (about 1 1/2 miles). We walked around the side of the station to the taxi stand and there were ZERO taxis with several locals waiting in line. One local told us he had already telephoned 2 local companies to send some taxis. After waiting about 20 minutes not a single taxi came to the station and the locals were pretty upset. We suggested the drivers were all having coffee or had just quit for the day and all had a good laugh. Then DW and I made the long walk back to the port.

Hank

Yes, unfortunately that is what the few taxis at the port were asking and we even questioned one about his fare (even though we were walking to the train station to travel to Rouen that day). There was a mini-van Taxi first in the taxi queue (of about 4 cabs) and he angered some folks by demanding 25 Euros per person. I talked to him and suggested his fare was ridiculous and that should be the fare per taxi. His response is not printable here :). The other taxis were holding out for a full or half day tour.

Having been to France many times (on both cruises and lengthy driving trips) DW and I have no love of French taxis (except in Paris where they are fine). There is just no way to predict whether you will find taxis willing to work who charge reasonable rates or whether the taxis will all have an "attitude."

On that same day that we went to Rouen (it was a beautiful Saturday) DW walked all the way to the train station and spent the day in Rouen. When we returned about 5pm (our ship was not leaving until 10) we decided to grab a taxi back to the ship (about 1 1/2 miles). We walked around the side of the station to the taxi stand and there were ZERO taxis with several locals waiting in line. One local told us he had already telephoned 2 local companies to send some taxis. After waiting about 20 minutes not a single taxi came to the station and the locals were pretty upset. We suggested the drivers were all having coffee or had just quit for the day and all had a good laugh. Then DW and I made the long walk back to the port.

Hank

Thank you, taking he tour from Princess is starting to look better.