Is Jazz Fest as crowded as Marti Gras???

ComputerDad

I am on the April 24th Jazz Fest cruise but I am not a Jazz fan. I just really want to see New Orleans. After reading about the crowds during Marti Gras and Jazz Fest I am concerned about access to tours, restaurants, etc.

I would appreciate it if someone who has been there for Jazz Fest letting me know how bad traffic is and if the tours actually run during the fest. The all seem to be blocked on the company web sites just as they are for Marti Gras.

Please let me know if I should pick another date,

We've been two the last two jazz fest. You will find that it is pretty much confined to the French Quarter. Finding a place to eat lunch and dinner will be hard without a reservation.

FYI all the music isn't jazz.

You can view the list of bands and time on the free ap" French quarter festival ". Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just like the dish barbeque shrimp is misnamed, so is the Jazz Fest, which features many different types of music and often big-name performers like Bruce Springsteen and Keith Urban, as well as great food.

The Jazz Fest draws thousands of tourists. But during much of the day, they will be at the festival, which takes place at the Fair Grounds racetrack a few miles from the French Quarter. At night, the French Quarter will be more crowded, and restaurant reservations at the more popular restaurants in the French Quarter and Warehouse District will be more difficult. But overall if you have lodging taken care of, you should not have any problems. The Jazz Fest is largely confined to one part of town, whereas Mardi Gras affects any number of parts of the city and many of the major streets. It may not be possible to go to New Orleans during the Mardi Gras season, especially the last few days, and not know that Mardi Gras is taking place. Not so with the Jazz Fest, which incidentally is a great festival, especially earlier in the day, so long as you know on a nice day there may be 70,000 people attending.

Edited by Reggiefan

We've been two the last two jazz fest. You will find that it is pretty much confined to the French Quarter. Finding a place to eat lunch and dinner will be hard without a reservation.

FYI all the music isn't jazz.

You can view the list of bands and time on the free ap" French quarter festival ". Hope that helps.

To clear up some misinformation in this quote, please note that French Quarter Festival and Jazz Fest are two different events. Jazz Fest is NOT confined to the FQ and in fact isn't even in the FQ. Sure there will be lots of music and crowds in the FQ but the official festival is miles away.