Fulton Garage vs. Terminal Parking

famvac01

We are cruising out of New Orleans for the first time in April. I was originally planning to park at the Fulton Garage in order to save some money, but now I’m wondering if we wouldn’t be better to park at the terminal. Once we get off the ship, we will have a 13 hour drive home. If we park at the terminal, will we be able to get on the road more quickly than if we park at the Fulton Garage? Does parking at Fulton require quite a bit more time waiting for a shuttle, riding the shuttle, retrieving your car? Is it a lot faster to park at the terminal, walk off the ship, into your car and hit the road? We'll be returning to port on Saturday April 15th, cruising with Carnival if that makes a difference. Since we’ve never sailed out of New Orleans before, I really don’t know what to expect. Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm sailing out of NO next month, have sailed out of there a couple times in the past. I was also considering parking over at Fulton because I didn't want to deal with port traffic this time. The deciding factor for me was when I went to the Fulton parking website and saw they don't open for parking until 12:30. I see some people say they get there around 11:30 and they let them in but I am already at port and settled in before then so that was a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't have bought FTTF if I was going to wait that late to head to port.

Also like you I have a long drive home, around 15 hours with stops so I don't want to wait on a shuttle. When parking at port I walk to my car and leave. Just too easy to pass up.

I agree with Poobears....Port parking cost more but to us, is so worth it. Once you pay, you will drive up into 2nd floor parking where the Porters will take your check luggage, have boarding pass(es) handy, park vehicle and enter terminal for check-in. It's just as simple when leaving. We have done Fulton as well, but went back to Terminal parking for the convenience.

I have only parked at Fulton but I would imagine the port parking would be faster if that's what you're looking for. I've never had to wait at the port for a Fulton shuttle. If one was full another was there or pulling up. But you have to wait to load and unload luggage. When you get to Fulton one person can retrieve the car while they are unloading luggage. That would save some time...But overall I'm sure it's faster if you're parked at the port. I'd guess it could make a 15-20min difference.

Edited by Saint Greg

Thanks for the info, everyone! I hate to pay more for something as boring as parking, but I think in this case it might be worth it for us. We'll be trying to get home as quickly as possible so we can all get some sleep before Easter the next morning. And somehow in all of my research (I love planning for and reading anything travel related) I missed that the Fulton garage doesn't open until 12:30. How did I miss that? I selected the earliest check in time available (10:30), so late parking won't work unless we change our plans. Looks like port parking will be best for us. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info, everyone! I hate to pay more for something as boring as parking, but I think in this case it might be worth it for us. We'll be trying to get home as quickly as possible so we can all get some sleep before Easter the next morning. And somehow in all of my research (I love planning for and reading anything travel related) I missed that the Fulton garage doesn't open until 12:30. How did I miss that? I selected the earliest check in time available (10:30), so late parking won't work unless we change our plans. Looks like port parking will be best for us. Thanks again!

I don't know where you read Fulton doesn't open until 12:30....but that isn't true.

GENERAL INFORMATION:

The Fulton Place Parking Garage provides a very clean, safe, and secure parking garage and is attended 24 hours a day. 64 security cameras on property. Garage Clearance is 6 feet 7 inches.

COMPLIMENTARY SHUTTLE SCHEDULE:

7AM to 3PM - every 5 to 10 minutes

3PM to 7AM - no shuttle

Shuttle return instructions and phone number will be listed on your reservation receipt.

Edited by Saint Greg

That is what it was showing on their website for your departure day. To arrive at the garage starting at 12:30. So it may be open sooner but that is when they want you there. Maybe so there are spots open from the other cruisers leaving? I tried to go back to the site to copy exactly where I got it from but today the website is throwing up a security certificate error and being blocked by my computer so I'm not messing with it.

That is what it was showing on their website for your departure day. To arrive at the garage starting at 12:30. So it may be open sooner but that is when they want you there. Maybe so there are spots open from the other cruisers leaving? I tried to go back to the site to copy exactly where I got it from but today the website is throwing up a security certificate error and being blocked by my computer so I'm not messing with it.

I've always been there before noon. There has always been a full shuttle of people there leaving with me. You can pick an arrival and departure time when you book. I usually set mine somewhere in the 10am-11am range.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have parked at the terminal once and Fulton 7 or 8 times. Fulton is usually fast, the shuttle has always been waiting for us at the terminal and it is about a 5 minute drive back. Last cruise in July, we were off the ship at 8:10 and were pulling out of Fulton by 8:30. They are open in the morning, we usually arrive around 10am.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for a place to park when heading out of the New Orleans port, please check out http://www.machupicchutours.com/

They were AWESOME! Dropped us off at our hotel for the overnight stay in NOLA, then were waiting on us right outside the next morning. Curbside drop off at the port. Upon debarkation, they were right there to pick us back up for a quick drive (less than 5 mins) back to our car. SOOO PAINLESS!

I can't imagine having to drag our luggage and waiting in the line to exit that port parking lot. Hope this helps some folks make better use of their vacation time. Happy travels!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
I'm sailing out of NO next month, have sailed out of there a couple times in the past. I was also considering parking over at Fulton because I didn't want to deal with port traffic this time. The deciding factor for me was when I went to the Fulton parking website and saw they don't open for parking until 12:30. I see some people say they get there around 11:30 and they let them in but I am already at port and settled in before then so that was a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't have bought FTTF if I was going to wait that late to head to port.

Also like you I have a long drive home, around 15 hours with stops so I don't want to wait on a shuttle. When parking at port I walk to my car and leave. Just too easy to pass up.

Can you please tell me how much it is to park at the Terminal. We will be driving down in a few weeks for a 4 night cruise. Thanks!