NYC alternate parking suggestion

builderpop

Thanks to the members who have posted detailed parking instructions for the Manhattan cruise terminals. Sebas030 has a EXCELLENT guide if you choose to park at the pier, here is the link to his

post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865.

I just got home from my September 20, 2014 to the 27th Carnival cruise to Canada and New England on the Splendor. I looked at several options to park a car in NYC while I was on my cruise. So, here s a alternate plan for those who don't mind driving in downtown NYC. Actually you can avoid driving in NYC if you don't mind carrying your luggage with you on the ferry.

My situation was a little different than the typical person who arrives at the terminal and boards the ship for his cruise. My wife and I arrived on the 19th so we could catch Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic theater.

We spent the night at the Milenium hotel on 44th street and walked to the show.

Here is a breakdown of my parking plan:

1.) Arrive at the Milenium Hotel in NYC at 3:30 p.m. 13.00 (Lincoln tunnel toll)

2.) Drop off luggage at hotel and drive to Port Imperial in New Jersey.

3.) Catch ferry to World Trade Center to see 9/11 memorial $26.00 (two adult fares)

4.) Sight see at the WTC, catch the #3 train to Times Square $5.00 (two adult fares)

5.) Take taxi to pier 90 to board Splendor $16.00 (fare & tip)

6.) Arrive back in NYC port and off ship by 8:00 am go to taxi que to catch ferry to Port Imperial $8.00 (4.00 fare & 4.00 tip)

(don't let the line for the taxi scare you off, we waited at the most 10 minutes)

7.) Short no stress ride to port imperial, we only had 6 passengers including my wife and myself, on the ferry ride $26.00 (two adult fares)

8.) Arrive in terminal pay parking fee for 9 days parking. $135.00

9.) Back in car and on our way home by 9:00 am.

Total cost to park nine days in NYC

$229.00

Cost to park at the pier for nine days:

1.) Drive to pier $13.00 (Lincoln tunnel toll)

2.) Nine days parking 360.00

Total cost 373.00

TOTAL SAVINGS OF $144.00

I really enjoyed the ferry rides to the WTC and the return trip to Port Imperial, almost like a mini tour to start and finish your cruise.

Great detailed post! Thank you.

Could you comment as to how well you think this would have worked if you had just parked at Port Imperial, taken the ferry across, and a cab to your hotel with all your luggage? So many folks are intimidated by driving in NYC and Port Imperial is such a good alternative.

I'm also thinking the ferry fare from 39th St to Port Imperial is $9 (Port Imperial to World ?Trade is $13).

Edited by 138east

Great detailed post! Thank you.

You are welcome.

Could you comment as to how well you think this would have worked if you had just parked at Port Imperial, taken the ferry across, and a cab to your hotel with all your luggage?

That is a difficult question to answer as a general question. If, you have a average rolling suitcase and one carryon type bag I would say it's a great option. I would highly recommend arriving after the morning rush hour has passed. My wife and I were the only passengers on the ferry on our trip from Port Imperial to the WTC. I would guess that the ferry's are capable of carrying at least a 100 passengers.

The parking garage and ferry terminal in NJ are located in a convenient and safe area IMHO. IF, you have a lot of luggage and are physically challenged you may want to give this option a lot of thought. I still would not discourage anyone from trying this parking option for departures from NYC. The cruise terminal is only 1/2 mile from pier 90, which is only a 5 minute cab ride. Also, there are FREE buses that run from the ferry terminal to Timers Square and other midtown areas. I didn't use the buses, but they are a alternative to paying for a taxi ride from the pier to a hotel. The transit authority has the bus routes posted on their web site.

I don't think most commuters use the ferry because of the cost. I read somewhere on the web, sorry can't remember where I think it was here on CC, that that the person commenting on using the ferry commuted on the ferry when he could not stand using the PATH train anymore.

So many folks are intimidated by driving in NYC and Port Imperial is such a good alternative.

I highly recommend this option for those that are, the streets and traffic around the terminal were light with no congestion when I arrived and departed. I am sure the traffic would be heavier around the terminal during rush hour, but nothing like Manhalttan.

I'm also thinking the ferry fare from 39th St to Port Imperial is $9 (Port Imperial to World ?Trade is $13).

No, all fares are a flat 13.00 no matter what your destination from Port Imperial. The return fare from NYC to Port Imperial was 13.00. All fare prices are per person.

The fare may be less from Port Imperial to 39th street.

I still think that the ferry from NJ to NYC is one of the easiest and low stress ways to get to a hotel in NYC or the cruise terminal. Also, you can save a nice chunk of change on long term parking to use on your cruise.

The only reason I drove into the city was to avoid carrying our luggage on the ferry and then having to deal with the luggage from the ferry terminal to our hotel.

I asked my wife if she would consider carrying her luggage on our next trip into the city using the ferry and she said NO. I wouldn't mind it a bit, but I am more physically active than she is.

Builderpop- I'm just trying to clarify the fare you paid to be accurate for any folks who may read this thread and make plans based on it. $9 between Port Imperial and 39th Street is what others have posted they paid, so if the fares have gone up, that is a dramatic increase.

I am going to bookmark this thread so we can refer folks to it next time folks ask about alternative Manhattan Cruiseport parking options.