Hoya polarized filter

Hoya filters are good. Whether it's "worth it" depends on what you intend to shoot. If there are a lot of water shots with the sun glaring, you bet. Also good for increasing the saturation and reducing sunlight glare in things like jungles or forests where the sun's bouncing off the vegetation. You can often get a much deeper blue in the sky as well with a CP (Circular Polarizer, as opposed to Linear), though that seems to be more dependent on the angle between lens and sun.

The downside is that a CP will reduce the amount of light getting into your camera by an f-stop or two, so you have to facto that into your shooting.

My opinion, take it for what you paid for it :-), is that it's a great tool to have in your kit. It's often helpful, rarely a hindrance, and helps you get things right int he camera more often than not. :cool:

Jim

Remember that CPLs are best when used shooting at a 90-degree angle to the sun. If the sun is behind you or in front of you, you won't get as much benefit. Because of all that, CPLs don't work well on wide-angle lenses (I see that you're planning to use it on a 55-250, just wanted to point this out).

You may want to think through future lens purchases, and shop for a large enough CPL that would fit a predicted future purchase, then buy a step-down ring so you can use a larger (say 77mm) filter on a smaller (say 58mm) lens. Obviously a bigger filter will cost more, so you might skip this suggestion, just figured you should think through it at least briefly before you commit.

You will also need to rotate the CPL for the "best" results based on conditions. If you aim a different direction, you should recheck the CPL. If you flip from horizontal to vertical, you should adjust the CPL. I tend to not use CPL often enough to be in the habit of adjusting it as frequently as necessary. :(

It has been my experience that Hoya's low-end filters are good and their high-end line with the hardened glass are great. The difference is often 2 x the price so it'd really up to you.

Both are good and with the main difference being the anti-reflective coatings, you are not likely to see a lot of visible difference in the images shot with a polarizer (since the best polarizing effect is at 90° to the position of the sun).

Dave

I'd say save your money unless you know you need it. 99% of the time you don't and you will still get a great shot without it. When you do use it you'll have to slow your shutter down two stop or adjust the aperture open two stops. Either may reduce your image quality for different reasons.

framer

I find a lot of uses for a polarized filter aboard ship, particularly around glaring white superstructures. Shooting from up high it can really add some drama to clouds and water scenes as well as cutting glare.

While I keep a UV/Haze filter on the lens all the time, mostly for protection. The only other filters I carry are a variable neutral density filter (mostly for video) and a polarizing filter.

Edited by rhkennerly

My husband & I do a lot of landscape & waterscape photography so at least one polarizer is always with us during our outings. I believe I own 3 of them. I have used them on a wide angle lens, but it can be tricky though. As already suggested, you can purchase a bigger filter & then use an adapter for your other lenses. But if you do opt for this, just remember that your lens hood may not fit with the oversize filter & you will need a new lens cap unless you plan on removing the filter when you would normally put the camera down & put the cap on during a break from shooting.

We own Hoya & Marumi filters. Personally, I find the Marumi filters as good as or better than my Hoya. The Marumis are also more affordable. The Marumi filters also receive very good reviews online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app