Car Rental in Bar Harbor

Kelly61

• 4 weeks later...
I don't believe there are any car rental agencies on the island. There are tours available at the pier as you get off the tenders.

Our Travel Agent has reserved a car for us at Bar Harbor. The rental agency is at the airport. I guess we will have to get a taxi to the airport. It is not a very big place, it seems. It looks like it is an easy drive to Acadia Park and a nice loop road goes around the park.

Mike

I have driven through Acadia Park, but the time involved in picking up a car rental here has to be considered if you have a short port time. There is public transportation if you just want a look at mt. a car would be better if you want to go all the way to the end and look at the lighthouse etc. Determine what is your priority? The small airport is outside of town, if that is the car rental location? I would look for something in town instead.

The (Bar Harbor) airport is about 15+ miles away from Bar Harbor and is off the island in the town of Trenton- perhaps there are now taxi's available to get one there.

The loop road is a beautiful drive, very wild with lots of trees, rocks and waves .... I hope you enjoy your time - we have a place in town that we go to every April - the island is very crowded during the summer .... so we avoid goiing there - but let me know if I can check anything while I there next month - most of the town is closed, but I should be able to get brochures. Enjoy! Jan

Well - I learn something new all the time - I find that there are 3 taxi companies (at least) in Bar Harbor that you could see if they would be willing to take you to the airport to pick up a car (Trenton is only 12 miles away and projected to be 25 minutes driving time - perhaps longer if traffic is bad) ... Let me know if you want me to look up phone numbers for taxi's. Jan

Jan, thanks for the information you are posting here.. It's always great when someone who actually lives in the area can give the correct info and be so helpful. With tendering time and length of port call factoring in, it sounds like the car rental at the airport could be time consuming!

The Trenton Airport is about 15 miles from where you will tender. Keep in mind you will not dock in Bar Harbor. Traffic in June will depend on whether or not we are having a warm spring and whether or not the tourists have arrived. It might take you 25-40 minutes or 1.5 hours to get there. There are no highways in that area and traffic can be bumper to bumper or as we say here in Maine bumpah!

Be very mindful of the time in Bar Harbor - the Park Loop Road is 26 miles and it is ONE-WAY Traffic for all but the beginning and end. If weather is warm and sunny the park loop road could be very slow traveling.

I live about 40 miles from Bar Harbor, I have done the park loop road is a little more than an hour and I have done the loop when it literally took all day. There is no short-cut or recourse if traffic is heavy you are stuck.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you are driving you don't have the opportunty to enjoy the scenery - as a native ... I would advise you to take one of the tours, let them do the driving and if anything happens and you are going to be late, chances are the ship will be notified and wait for you.

Plus, and I laughed at this one - there are not many cabs in Bar Harbor - if there isn't one at the Trenton Airport when you return (and chances are there won't be as it is a very slow puddle jumper/private jet airport and cabs don't wait around), you would have to wait till a cab can get there - also keep in mind the cabs are going to be in Bar Harbor transporting tours until the ship leaves.

Have Fun in Bar Harbor it's truly beautiful - where the mountains meet the sea.

I was afraid to post- forget the car- as I am accused of being too negative, but you state this fact perfectly. Bar Harbor can be VERY congested. I fly into Bangor because Bar Harbor airport just doesn't have convenient flights. Indeed very small. :) As a side, every trip I go to Jonesport and take Norton's puffin tour, nothing like it nor so excellent. The puffins are an arm's length away from the bird blinds.

Mike's "travel agent" is his wife. :) so you aren't likely to change their minds, but at least you have given them excellent advice to consider.

Budget Queen -- any chance for sighting Puffins from a whale watching excursion in Bar Harbor in September, or are we too late. If we end up sailing out of Boston we plan to come a few days early to take one of the whale watching boats you suggested out of Gloucester, but we are thinking of a different itinerary out of NYC on the NCL Jewel, so we may be restricted to whale watching in Bar Harbor (as well as from the ship...)

Thanks -- I really appreciate your advice

I am so glad that Moxie responded so nicely as I too was afraid of coming off as being negative - truly you would be much better to use "Ollie's Trolley" as you might end up spending all your time trying to find a parking place in town or not be able to see any of our beautiful scenery when you do the "loop" as often times it is too congested to stop - Make sure that you get a chance to dip your toes in our ocean - sure to make you gasp and turn one's toes blue -Enjoy - Maine is totally awesome! Let me know if you have any questions - Jan

Budget Queen -- any chance for sighting Puffins from a whale watching excursion in Bar Harbor in September, or are we too late. If we end up sailing out of Boston we plan to come a few days early to take one of the whale watching boats you suggested out of Gloucester, but we are thinking of a different itinerary out of NYC on the NCL Jewel, so we may be restricted to whale watching in Bar Harbor (as well as from the ship...)

Thanks -- I really appreciate your advice

Whale watching out of Bar Harbor is inferior to anything out of Gloucester, my opinion only, usually no where near the sighting numbers. But this area has an even chance of fin whales, if of interest, infrequent out of Gloucester. No you won't likely see puffins from any whale watch. They congregate around the rookeries and are extremely difficult to spot at sea.

Thanks for the information, Budget Queen. If we sail out of Boston on the Enchantment we will come a few days early to do our whale watching out of Gloucester. If we sail out of NYC on the NCL Jewel we may do the Bar Harbor whale watch, or we may just hope for some sightings from the cruise ship itself...

• 7 years later...

Archived