Nikon P520 CoolPix in Alaska

Just purchased a P520 on a whim - couldn't beat the price - for our upcoming cruise to Alaska.

I know very little about photography, so just wondering if I'll be ok using the Auto setting for pictures? Any advice or tips always welcome! :)

The auto setting is a fair place to start. You might think about taking the book on the plane with you as it might give you some ideas on other features. Choosing scenes and other things on the dial are fairly easy and a good way to start with other features.

• 1 month later...

Good camera with a good zoom, which I think is important in AK. I agree with the earlier poster who said to read the book on the plane. Also, one of the great things about a digital camera is that its free to play with. Take it out and try some things with the P settings and some of the other settings on the dial. Its good to do some level of learning before you go.

One of the possible problems that if you shoot in P mode, digital cameras do not deal well with snow and ice. The cameras tend to have exposure problems.

I would read your manual to see if it has a snow and or ice mode.

DON