PG Best Snorkeling Excursions?

There are so many different kinds of snorkeling excursions that we don't know which one(s) to choose. Does anyone have a suggestion for us? We are good swimmers - comfortable in deep water - looking for great underwater scenery. We'll be on the PG in early May.

at their private Motu. We did the Pearl Farm/sorkle tour which was terrific. It took us to thes ame drift snorkle place as the other snorkle tour plus we saw a real small family pearl farm which was very interesting. I am a diver and snorkler (did all the dives on our 14 day PG trip) and the drift snorkle trip was the best I have seen. Be sure and go out towards the channel which will be against the current but totally worth it. Octopus, baracuda, clown fish, coral and tons of different species of fish. You can also walk out to the channel and drift snorkle back in. I could have spent all day there but then the motu with their floating bar, barbeque and beautiful private island is hard to beat. Have fun!

We snorkeled the "aquarium" at Rangiroa and loved it when we were on the 14 day Society/marquesas cruise. We loved even more the jet boat excursion which circumnavigates Bora Bora. The boat doesn't go that fast really. There are 3 stops on this excursion. First they stop at an area with lots of stingrays. The water isn't very deep and you can get out and swim with the animals, which is an amazing experience. On the 2nd stop they take you to a coral garden and it's just breathtaking. Great coral formations and thousands of colorful fish. At the 3rd stop it's just shallow water where you can swim or stand around in the warm water. They serve refreshments and it's very nice. The guides were quite nice and knowledgeble and we can't say enough good things about this excursion.

Just read "Pool Chick's" response. I was on the same trip as she was (don't think we met) and did not do the "Aquarium" (I was diving) but my friend did. He thought the drift snorkel was amazingly better than the aquarium. Even as a diver I would give up a dive (with turtles, 8 foot manta rays, dolphins, 11 foot lemon sharks, black tip sharks, and a few good fish:)) to do that snorkle trip. For comparison purposes....

We have been on the PG for a total of 24 days (in 2003 and 2006). The best snorkeling we experienced was on what was called the Sting Ray and Shark Feeding in Bora Bora (in 2003). I think it is similar to what is now listed as the Sting Ray Ballet & Snorkel Safari. The coral was incredible. My only caution would be that the coral was not far below the surface (and the masks and water made it seem even closer), therefore, one should be a proficient snorkeler. If you'd like details of some of our other experiences, drop me a line at dreps@comcast.net.

I agree with Dreps, and have recommended this elsewhere.

But I think for the less-advanced snorkeller it's doable, you just have to stay a bit further away from the coral, just stick to the edges. And even near the boat there are plenty of fish hanging around to watch.

I too recommend the Shark and Stingray feeding in Bora Bora. I think we were on that excursion with Dreps in '03. That day, there was an unusually strong current. My wife got in water that was too shallow and got some coral cuts. Nothing serious, but we did learn something that's good to keep in mind on all snorkeling excursions --- stay out of the shallows! The current is stronger there than in deep water, so it's more difficult to stay out of the coral. The sharks are small -- about 2' long or less. The Stingrays were as tame as puppy dogs. I know that we are all aware of Austrailian naturalist Steve Irwin's unfortunate death from a Stingray barb. Since I haven't cruised in the tropics since then, I have wondered if the ships have changed their excursions to avoid rays. I hope not, because I think all agreee that this was a "freak accident", and Stingray-caused deaths and serious injuries are more rare than being struck by lightning.

We had been on this excursion in '02 as well, and the current was not problem at all.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi

We had the best snorkeling in Rangiroa.A thousand + fish.We also saw 2-3 sharks.We saw just as much as the divers. The boat ride to the area is only 100 - 150 yards or so away from the tender drop off point.

Bora Bora stingrays incredible + three 4' long sharks.Calm clear water 4 feet deep. Only 15 people on a 40+ seat boat.Must have water shoes.

Rich 1:

That's good to hear, as the excursions offered by the ship aren't the best on this island. Not bad, but just not the best on this cruise. So you must have booked independently. Do you have to book in advance? What's the name of the operator (if you can recall). How long is the excursion, and how much is the cost? And I assume it runs on Sundays, as that is the day the standard 7 day cruise visits this island, right?

Thanks,

Richard

I just wanted to comment that some of the drift snorkeling can be in situations with strong currents. I'm a pretty good swimmer, and I became sufficiently fatigued that I went back to the boat during our drift snorkel in Rangiroa under strong-current conditions. I wasn't wearing a vest, but I am sure you can, and perhaps that would have helped.

Archived