Galveston hotels with cruise parking

americanmama

We like Gaido's Seaside Inn too. We stay there,leave the car & take a cab to the ship. :D Check out their web site for pics. Just walk across the street for a walk on the beach. :p

do you recall what the cost for the cab is? Also is it a hassle to get a cab when trying to get from the ship back to the motel? We are staying at Gaidos next week and debating if we should leave the car there or pay for parking by the ship. We need to get back to Hobby for a 1:30pm flight and thought it might be faster to have the car closer to the port. thanks for any input

• 2 months later...

I just realized that Mardi Gras in Galveston is the same time we will be going to Galveston for our cruise...Feb 21st- Feb 24th. I thought I better get our hotel now, which is usually Gaido's, but no they are not taking reservations until Nov. or Dec., so I thought I would go ahead and try to book somewhere else, since it is going to be crazy with people trying to get rooms, even now......NOPE, could not find any hotels that will let me book now, (well the ones I checked that I know are hotels I would even stay at)...

Now I am concerned about finding a place to stay. How crazy does it get around Galveston, and downtown area, because we are tossing up between Gaido's and Harbor House, but hubby is worried that Harbor House will be too close to TOO MUCH action, but is also afraid that staying at Gaido's is not gonna work, because parking downtown to go shopping at the Strand is going to be a pain too......

Any input on that weekend would be great to have, so we can keep trying to book one or the other hotels as soon as they will open up for reservations, that is!!!! :)

If your cruise is from the 21st to the 24th, you won't be impacted by Mardi Gras as the parades are on the weekends (Friday - Sunday), you will be on the ship.

The 21st is the 1st weekend of Mardi, so all events in the downtown entertainment district are free as well as the parades on Seawall.

The BIG weekend is the following weekend.

I just realized that Mardi Gras in Galveston is the same time we will be going to Galveston for our cruise...Feb 21st- Feb 24th. I thought I better get our hotel now, which is usually Gaido's, but no they are not taking reservations until Nov. or Dec., so I thought I would go ahead and try to book somewhere else, since it is going to be crazy with people trying to get rooms, even now......NOPE, could not find any hotels that will let me book now, (well the ones I checked that I know are hotels I would even stay at)...

Now I am concerned about finding a place to stay. How crazy does it get around Galveston, and downtown area, because we are tossing up between Gaido's and Harbor House, but hubby is worried that Harbor House will be too close to TOO MUCH action, but is also afraid that staying at Gaido's is not gonna work, because parking downtown to go shopping at the Strand is going to be a pain too......

Any input on that weekend would be great to have, so we can keep trying to book one or the other hotels as soon as they will open up for reservations, that is!!!! :)

The last two cruises I've taken out of Galveston have left on the 23 and 24th of February. We were not impacted by Mardi Gras, however, we also chose to stay at La Quinta on Seawall. Not going to stay there next February when we sail, so we're looking at the Holiday Inn Express right next door. Both offer park and shuttle but we've gotten in the habit of just calling a cab which is faster and easier than waiting for the shuttle.

• 3 weeks later...

Seawall Parades

1st Weekend

Saturday, February 22nd, 2014

12:00pm- Mystic Krewe of Aquarius 26th annual Mardi Gras Kick off Parade - We have come a long way baby! And we are ready to celebrate in a big way with our 26th annual parade featuring over 80 units including 20 high school marching bands. The colorful pageantry of the popular parade will spotlight 160 costumed Krewe members and the regal Aquarius royal court. Participating Krewes will be "Thalasar", Bacchus of Texas, Krewe DuLac and Krewe of Boudreaux. For the best and most beads do not miss this one! Seawall Blvd from 14th to 59th Street.

6:00pm- Krewe of Gambrinus Parade -King Gambrinus throws a party for 200,000 of his closest friends with over 650,000 throws with giant searchlights lighting up the night. Open and free to the public! Parade runs along Seawall Blvd. from 23rd St. to Central City Blvd.This may help you decide where you want to be on the 22nd of February. I would stay as far away as possible by going to the west end of Galveston.

We have a cruise special at Moody Gardens and we intend to eat Saturday night at the hotel. Sunday morning should be clear.

• 11 months later...

We are planning to stay in Galveston the night before our cruise on Nov 2nd. On Hotels.com I found the rate of $79 per night, it says there is free breakfast, wifi, free parking, and free shuttle to the ship. I called the hotel directly and their cruise rate (which includes everything mentioned above) is $107.10. They said if I book with another website that it will not include a shuttle or parking and they can't offer those services separately. I asked how I would get to the ship, and she said I would be on my own.

You think this is really the case? Should I just book through hotels.com and risk not having free parking & shuttle?

Thoughts please! Thanks!:rolleyes:

This is a really old thread.

I will say, taxi's are at a premium when the ships are in as this is an island, which means not a lot of available transportation.

There are others much more current regarding hotels on the island.

Also check with the roll call for your cruise.

If you want all the amenities, I suggest going for the one that offers it all so you won't worry.

FYI: The Lone Star Bike Rally starts 11/6 to 11/9/14 - more than 500,000 on the island that weekend.

We like Gaido's Seaside Inn too. We stay there,leave the car & take a cab to the ship. :D Check out their web site for pics. Just walk across the street for a walk on the beach. :p

How hard is it to get a cab back to the hotel after the cruise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app