cashing a check onboard?

Sainter4

We are going on our second Disney cruise in a few weeks on the Fantasy. We are going with another party this time and in trying to determine how much cash to take along, this question came up. Are you able to cash a personal check onboard if you run short due to money spent while off the ship or whatever. We are going to Tortola and St Thomas. Or are there ATMs readily available at either of these stops?

Thanks!!

We are going on our second Disney cruise in a few weeks on the Fantasy. We are going with another party this time and in trying to determine how much cash to take along, this question came up. Are you able to cash a personal check onboard if you run short due to money spent while off the ship or whatever. We are going to Tortola and St Thomas. Or are there ATMs readily available at either of these stops?

Thanks!!

I believe there's a max amount for a personal check, but they will cash one personal check. There are no ATMs onboard Disney ships.

Keep in mind that St. Thomas is US Virgin Islands. You may want to see if your bank has a branch there (might help avoid any charges for ATMs). There are a couple of banks right by the dock, but I don't remember which ones. Also, your US based cell will work there without roaming charges. (or at least Verizon and AT&T will)

I was told the max for a check on the Jan 10 cruise was 200. Unfortunately I forgot to bring checks. I was hoping they would give a cash advance against a credit card but no. And there are no ATMs on board. And at a couple of our stops there were no ATMs at the port. Every where we went they took U.S. dollars. And I forgot to bring enough cash. So at one point we hired a driver for a few hours and I had him stop at a bank so I could get local currency. He would have preferred U.S. dollars so I gave him a bigger tip than usual.

Thank you so much for all of your responses! Moki'smommy, it's like you read my mind about using our cell phone on St Thomas! We have Verizon - so it would be the same using there as at home as far as phone calls?!

It has been a couple years since we were at that port, so I'd verify with Verizon. For us, it was exactly the same as if we'd used the phone or data from our living room. Well not exactly since we'd have our own internet in our living room. It is as if we did it from our car.