Quantum Obstructed View Balcony Deck 6

Jimmers

We ran into a surprise when we entered our room port side (6284) for the first time. When we booked the room we were told that it had an obstructed view but that it was "probably only a white pole". As you can see it was a bit more than that.:) We've had obstructed views before but nothing like this and it's due to the unusual placement of the lifeboats.

Not only that but there is a deck directly below it that casts a bright light into the room all night so we had to keep the curtains drawn. Our group which had several adjacent rooms had a similar view and light problem. Along with the noisiest rooms ever but I'll save that for another post.

Just thought I'd pass this along to any future cruisers on the Quantum Class ships so that they know what they're getting when they book these rooms and many of the other balconies on deck 6.

6h2iad.jpg

71kbaa.jpg

Edited by Jimmers

Yes, QOS has the DO (Obstructed view balcony) category, which I believe is a new one and unique to the class. I had one with only the boat and not the davit (white posts) blocking the view.

The rooms are listed as either 50% or 75% instructed on the UK site, but the US site doesn't show that level of detail.

I'm either case, don't expect to see the dock or water below as the lifeboats are very wide. You can look out at the horizon. The lifeboats come up to about knee level.

I booked cat DO with eyes wide open and was happy with the price and willing to accept the limited view from what is otherwise an excellent room. [emoji102]

We Sail on the Anthem June 1st and have an OV on Deck 6, We know that there is an Obstruction and booked knowing that. We saved £400 from a window view, fresh air you cannot beat it. Never done an OV before so I reserve judgement.

• 1 month later...

I believe those 3 cabins do not have any lifeboats or davits in front of them so your view will not be obstructed. Hopefully someone else has had one of those cabins that can confirm. Here's a link to the cut off of the decks, I hope the link appears below.

http://www.destination360.com/cruises/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/images/quantum-of-the-seas-deck-plan.jpg

Yes, we had friends staying in the neighboring rooms and the view was the same. If you look at a side view of the ship you can see that most of the deck six rooms have lifeboats in front of them. The other thing you may have to contend with is the noise from Jamie's restaurant which is directly under those rooms.

This thread has more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2145640

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't have picked these rooms but the others wanted to save money and have the rooms all close together. Oh well.

Our group leader selected the rooms for us presumably to save money also. Knowing what I know now I would've went with an inside room and saved even more.:) The noise was even worse than the view. Make sure you take some earplugs with you:D On the plus side the rooms have more storage, a big screen TV and a nicer shower.

Edit: If you hear popping and crackling sounds coming from the balcony door area, the only thing I found that silenced it was opening the door a crack. I've read posts claiming that putting lotion or some other solution on the door jamb worked but I never tried that.

Edited by Jimmers

I'm in a group that has 6280, 6282, and 6286. I guess we can look forward to a similar view.:(

I believe those 3 cabins do not have any lifeboats or davits in front of them so your view will not be obstructed. Hopefully someone else has had one of those cabins that can confirm. Here's a link to the cut off of the decks, I hope the link appears below.

http://www.destination360.com/cruises/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/images/quantum-of-the-seas-deck-plan.jpg

Correction to my post above in that the cabins you indicated 6280, 6282, and 6286 will have an obstructed view with lifeboats. The info is on the cut out I supplied and I read it and posted incorrectly.

I have booked cabin 6260. This is listed as grade D8 when on all over decks it is a D1 grade because of the slope in, you get a larger balcony. The only reason I can see why you get it at a lower grade was due to lifeboats etc. But on closer inspection, there is no Obstructed View from lifeboats, only the outside area for Jamies is below. This cabin was £200pp cheaper than the deck above. The cabin on the other side of the ship has the smoking room below it, so Port side is better.

• 2 weeks later...

:)thanks very much very helpful

6280, 6282, and 6286 do have lifeboats in the line of site, you need to look at the port side of the deck plan.

:)thanks very much very helpful

I did add a correction to my post.

Correction to my post above in that the cabins you indicated 6280, 6282, and 6286 will have an obstructed view with lifeboats. The info is on the cut out I supplied and I read it and posted incorrectly.

6280, 6282, and 6286 do have lifeboats in the line of site, you need to look at the port side of the deck plan.

I did add a correction to my post.

I have booked cabin 6260. This is listed as grade D8 when on all over decks it is a D1 grade because of the slope in, you get a larger balcony. The only reason I can see why you get it at a lower grade was due to lifeboats etc. But on closer inspection, there is no Obstructed View from lifeboats, only the outside area for Jamies is below. This cabin was £200pp cheaper than the deck above. The cabin on the other side of the ship has the smoking room below it, so Port side is better.

We had this cabin and it was a great one. The location is terrific, the balcony is enormous. You can see a bit of the corner of the outside area for Jamie's when you look down and to the left (aft). We didn't hear any noise from Jamies at all. We did hear our neighbors sitting on the balcony having a conversation and it was a little weird, because you may as well have been right on their balcony with them. No sound blocking whatsoever.

I will say though the the cabin creaked like crazy in rough water. Creaking sounds coming from everywhere.

But you should like this cabin very much.

We had this cabin and it was a great one. The location is terrific, the balcony is enormous. You can see a bit of the corner of the outside area for Jamie's when you look down and to the left (aft). We didn't hear any noise from Jamies at all. We did hear our neighbors sitting on the balcony having a conversation and it was a little weird, because you may as well have been right on their balcony with them. No sound blocking whatsoever.

I will say though the the cabin creaked like crazy in rough water. Creaking sounds coming from everywhere.

But you should like this cabin very much.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully Anthem might not have the creaking or bad weather when I sail in July.

Help!!! We've booked 6272 and I don't think I'm gonna like the view,

What did you think you were getting when you booked an obstructed view balcony? Did your TA not explain? Did you look at the deck plan before booking?

As next door to your cabin (6270) is not obstructed, then your view shouldn't be too bad. Probably just a white post in the way for some of it. Someone on here might even have a picture of the view.

What did you think you were getting when you booked an obstructed view balcony? Did your TA not explain? Did you look at the deck plan before booking?

As next door to your cabin (6270) is not obstructed, then your view shouldn't be too bad. Probably just a white post in the way for some of it. Someone on here might even have a picture of the view.

I knew we were getting an obstructed view but I've had 2 or 3 obstructed views before and always feel lucky. To be honest for the price we've paid it's not such a big deal :-)

[

Those "white posts" are huge davits that hold the lifeboats. If I could get it for less $ than an ocean view though, I'd take it.