Limit on Upgrades?

bob brown

When prices drop after final payment, the line may decline to give you additional OBC, but they will usually allow you to upgrade to a higher category cabin at the new reduced fare, applying whatever fare you have already paid. Oftentimes this means no additional charge.

I have heard somewhere, that you may only do this one time per booking...that is if the price drops again some time later, they will not let you do that again.

Does anyone know if that is a fact?

If it is, then one would have to gamble on the best time to take advantage of the offer, keeping in mind that waiting may also result in nothing left to upgrade to........

I don't know the answer, but I read one post that indicated that the first time, she received a free upgrade. When prices dropped again, her initial request to upgrade further was declined, but when she offered to pay $20 pp additional, they accepted.

I am unclear on the circumstances behind that story. Individual mileage may vary, but it seems to me that generally speaking, you can upgrade to any higher available category for the current price less what you've already paid.

I'm sure there are a lot of things we don't know about policies and how this works internally, because I don't believe there is a published policy. But here is my mindset:

1) Before final payment, I watch my category and above for price drops. If my category drops I will request to change to the current booking.

2) After final payment, I don't pay attention to my category. I look at categories that I may want to see if those fall to prices that I would be willing to pay- or if they drop to what I paid. If that happens, I call. I'm not going to wait in hopes of further decreases. I'd rather take what is available now and take my chances on additional upgrades later.

I have upgraded/upsold myself twice on one cruise after price drops, from balcony to mini suite and then from mininsuite to penthouse when prices dropped further. We also were awarded some additional OBC when prices fell even more, and there were no further upgrades available. Not the full price difference, but still, they were not obligated to give us anything.

There may be some limit on the number of free upgrades, but I doubt it. If it is in their best interest to upgrade you and resell your cheaper cabin and sell out the ship, that is what they will do.

This is what just happened to me. My DH an myself are booked on the Breakaway for the Jan. 2014 cruise. I made final payment in Oct. BTW, I did not use a TA, booked with NCL direct. A week later I saw the price had dropped, so I called. After a brief hold, I was told that they couldn't give me an upgrade because I was at the top of my category but they would give me an onboard credit. Very nice of them.

A few days after that, I saw another prove drop. Again I called and received another OBC. I was told, if they cannot give me an upgrade, they would give me 25% of the difference between the two fares as an OBC.

Then I found the # of my PPC (which I had misplaced) and I called him to check on another cruise. In passing, I asked him to check the OBC that I have, which he did and all is well, but he told me that you can only call once for either an upgrade or OBC.

I also printed out the Amenity Confirmation showing the credits that I do have. They don't amount to much, but anything is a bonus that we are grateful for.

Thanks for all the responses...it seems that most of you say you can keep upgrading, but there is a chance you may only get one shot at receiving additional OBC.....so then, if I wish to keep my current cabin, but am looking to get the most additional OBC (25% of the fare difference?), the gamble of waiting to try to get it would be the fares start going higher again as the ship fills up, meaning less of a difference paid....

For our 14 night cruise on nov 1st this year, I called before final payment and got a free upgrade from a bb balcony to a minisuite for nothing. After final payment price dropped again and they upgraded me to a midship mini that I wanted for free. Then prices dropped again and I got $150 obc. Somewhere along the line I got 2 free dinners for two in cagneys and lacucina, free bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberrys. Then a bottle of champagne arrived to my cabin mid cruise with no idea why. 3 days prior to the cruise I got a call from ncl offering a free upgrade to the deluxe owners suite. I LOVE NCL!!!!