Buying Venetian Glass Jewelry in Rome or Florence

cpl100

Hello everyone. I hope someone can help me. Last cruise in the Mediterranean started in Venice and I purchased some lovely Venetian glass jewelry. Friends have admired it and I would like to buy some as gifts. However, this year we will not be in Venice but only Rome and Florence. Does anyone have experience or knowledge where I might buy genuine Venetian glass jewelry in either of these cities?

All suggestions (except a stop in Venice :D ) are appreciated. Much obliged!

We would just warn that a lot of "authentic" Venetian Glass comes from either Eastern Europe or China. We have heard of situations where even high-end shops sometimes sell imported glass as "Murano Glass." It may not be legal, but is a common problem.

Hank

Well, that is quite distressing to know. I am disappointed to hear that.

Does anyone know how to spot the fake from the real thing? Thank you!

With the small more inexpensive pieces we sure cannot tell the difference. One way to be sure is to go over to Murano and buy right at a factory where you see them making the stuff. On the other hand, a friend said to me that if nobody can tell the real from the fake does it really matter?

Other then going to Murano and buying there, I don't think you can be guaranteed you are buying true Murano glass (even in Venice).

On Murano we watched a small horse being blown at a factory. They wanted $200 for it. I wouldn't pay that, so I bought a little horse at the Rialto Bridge shopping area for $50, and it has a sticker that says it is from Murano. Is it really Murano glass (I have no idea), I only know I bought it in Venice and I was happy with the price.

In Rome my friend purchased bracelets of "supposed Murano glass balls" for 10

EUR for her granddaughters souvenirs. Were they really from Murano, we don't think so, but they were purchased in Rome. Nice little souvenirs, no matter where they were made.

If you are looking for specific items and don't like the price, don't buy! Have a great trip!

Other then going to Murano and buying there, I don't think you can be guaranteed you are buying true Murano glass (even in Venice).

On Murano we watched a small horse being blown at a factory. They wanted $200 for it. I wouldn't pay that, so I bought a little horse at the Rialto Bridge shopping area for $50, and it has a sticker that says it is from Murano. Is it really Murano glass (I have no idea), I only know I bought it in Venice and I was happy with the price.

In Rome my friend purchased bracelets of "supposed Murano glass balls" for 10

EUR for her granddaughters souvenirs. Were they really from Murano, we don't think so, but they were purchased in Rome. Nice little souvenirs, no matter where they were made.

If you are looking for specific items and don't like the price, don't buy! Have a great trip!

I've got some Murano millefiore beads and some antique chevron beads. I can make you a bracelet ;-)

Really, there really is no way to distinguish actual beads made in Murano with those made in Eastern Europe/India/China. You just have to trust who you are buying your beads - remember, not everyone in Italy is out to rip off the poor tourist.