SO tempted to book a Grand Voyage

moonvine

Although packing for 3 weeks is daunting - as someone who brings 3 outfits for each day I'm already trying out Tim's tips regarding my wardrobe. I'll also use 1 of MSC's marketing slogans they had for their pricings KIS - Keep It Simple LOL!

As a man, I know my thoughts on packing are usually dismissed. Hence I am especially flattered!

I used to say consider the costs of excess baggage vs. the cost of laundry at the destination. Now the tendency of airlines is towards charging for any checked baggage, packing skills become an acute necessity. The cost of one checked bag will usually be more than professional laundering of a few well-chosen, versatile garments.

On a repo cruise, I would especially recommend the laundry package.

Three outfits a day? If I did nothing all day on a cruise I would change three times :). With jacuzzis, various social engagements (meeting x for a glass of wine/beer/cocktail etc.), public engagements (taking part in some organised activity), three 'formal' meals per day and special occasions, three outfits may suffice but there may be six or more changes! Exhausting. To add a port of call to all that activity really is OTT. There isn't the time!

I am currently working on booking my next repo partly because this thread has re-engaged me and reminded me of all the fantastic times I have had on repos in the past.

Thanks!

As a man, I know my thoughts on packing are usually dismissed. Hence I am especially flattered!

I used to say consider the costs of excess baggage vs. the cost of laundry at the destination. Now the tendency of airlines is towards charging for any checked baggage, packing skills become an acute necessity. The cost of one checked bag will usually be more than professional laundering of a few well-chosen, versatile garments.

Well-thought out :)

On a repo cruise, I would especially recommend the laundry package.

I'll certainly be availing of that - terrific value!

Three outfits a day? If I did nothing all day on a cruise I would change three times :). With jacuzzis, various social engagements

........says the "I'm not a party animal" chap!!!!

.......(meeting x for a glass of wine/beer/cocktail etc.), public engagements (taking part in some organised activity), three 'formal' meals per day and special occasions, three outfits may suffice but there may be six or more changes! Exhausting. To add a port of call to all that activity really is OTT. There isn't the time!

From your 5kg bag there isn't the number of items either LOL :D

I am currently working on booking my next repo partly because this thread has re-engaged me and reminded me of all the fantastic times I have had on repos in the past.

Thanks!

Now why am I not surprised at that? :rolleyes:

You haven't seen me weighing my socks individually on the digital kitchen scales.

The way around that: bring one sock. Then - starting on the first morning, swap sock worn on previous day on left foot to the right foot, put clean sock on left foot, wash sock removed from right foot the night before. Repeat daily - only one sock to wash every night :D

I have to say I'm in awe of Im's packing skills and having had the pleasure of cruising with him once on an eleven night sailing, witnessed first hand his range of outfits all from hand luggage - truly amazing!

I'm struggling now to keep under 20 kilos for my trip next week to Oz and with only 7kg hand luggage including hand bag, can't resort to my usual trick of stuffing shoes in hand luggage. Fortunately at 2 of my destinations I have a washer and dryer in my accommodation, otherwise I'd never get through almost 4 weeks on that. Have been known to do the poachers pockets things, with heavy stuff hidden in jacket pocket or concealed in raincoat draped over my arm. They rarely weigh you (only once in 40+ years of flying and that was for a scenic small plane flight in NZ) so once past he scales thy can be emptied into hand luggage.

All this talk of repos and not one booked! So want to go on another.

I have to say I'm in awe of Im's packing skills and having had the pleasure of cruising with him once on an eleven night sailing, witnessed first hand his range of outfits all from hand luggage - truly amazing!

I'm struggling now to keep under 20 kilos for my trip next week to Oz and with only 7kg hand luggage including hand bag, can't resort to my usual trick of stuffing shoes in hand luggage. Fortunately at 2 of my destinations I have a washer and dryer in my accommodation, otherwise I'd never get through almost 4 weeks on that. Have been known to do the poachers pockets things, with heavy stuff hidden in jacket pocket or concealed in raincoat draped over my arm. They rarely weigh you (only once in 40+ years of flying and that was for a scenic small plane flight in NZ) so once past he scales thy can be emptied into hand luggage.

All this talk of repos and not one booked! So want to go on another.

Mairi, you will obviously be fine. PLEASE keep us informed!

Regards,

Edited by Skipper Tim

I weighed it last night in case I'd have to spend the weekend emptying it out and starting again and it's only 17.9 kg! I've a few things still o pack but they are all for hand luggage. Invested in a new 100g backpack so I'm week under on that too.

Apparently not needing long frocks and not taking my norm of 8-10 pairs of shoes makes a big difference.