Liquor Sales

sadiecat

Perhaps not a better answer however.

Alcohol consumed in Texas (on land or water) must have the tax levied. Cruise ships have a set of hard liquor bottles with the tax paid they pour from while in port and for the first part of the cruise.

Once they reach international water they close for a few minutes to switch over. You might never see it take place, it's a 5 min process.

Much hubbub has been made about the "new" tax levied for personal alcohol purchases and tax being collected at debarkation. This law has been in place for years, but Texas just starting enforcing it. The selection of lower priced booze like Cruzian flavored rum has vanished as a result.

Edited by BallFour4

So what drinks (from the bar obviously) can you order while in Texas waters and which ones can't you? Does this also mean that you can't buy bottles of booze from Bon Voyage before you board the ship/sail and can't bring on your allowed 1 or 2 bottle of wine? Not that I'm sailing from Texas anytime soon (that I know of), I'm just curious!! :D

...Does this also mean that you can't buy bottles of booze from Bon Voyage before you board the ship/sail and can't bring on your allowed 1 or 2 bottle of wine? Not that I'm sailing from Texas anytime soon (that I know of), I'm just curious!! :D
...You can buy from Bon Voyage pre-cruise. Your purchases will be delivered to you on the first sea day. You can still bring the allowed volume of wine or champagne with you in carry on when you board.

So what drinks (from the bar obviously) can you order while in Texas waters and which ones can't you?

It's the more expensive beers and liquors they don't serve while in port. The mixed drinks don't make a difference since they sell a ton of Bacardi rum and whatever vodka they use.