YES! There is a good beach in Key West!!

OntCruise

Just returned from a week on the Conquest with a stop in Key West and we visited Smathers Beach. I've read a lot on here about KW not having a good beach to go to so I thought I would post a few pictures. We had a great day there!

IMG_0599.jpg.7617b8969dab220aaf07f37850790d7e.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg.9b717401781b9791f544dccd32d12c3b.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg.7cd925ed20d93a6d0bd2ab78d50b634b.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg.710322f727adb998055279b99274eb44.jpg

Are there any facilities at Smathers Beach? Restrooms, restaurants, loungers or umbrellas? Did a taxi take you there? How far from the port is this beach? What was the taxi fare?

They have restrooms and lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent - be aware that they are pricey. I remember there being food trucks here, too

Its a manmade beach that is kept fairly well, imho. Grassy bottom and can have sea grass washed up on shore. Not far from EYW but a good 10 minute or so taxi ride.

Or you could go to Ft Zachary Taylor Beach, which I personally prefer. Not quite the white sandy beach of Smathers but its walking distance from Mallory Square, not next to the cars of A1A and much better snorkeling and overall better scenery, imho. More of a rocky/coral bottom and the water seems clearer

They have restrooms and lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent - be aware that they are pricey. I remember there being food trucks here, too

Its a manmade beach that is kept fairly well, imho. Grassy bottom and can have sea grass washed up on shore. Not far from EYW but a good 10 minute or so taxi ride.

Or you could go to Ft Zachary Taylor Beach, which I personally prefer. Not quite the white sandy beach of Smathers but its walking distance from Mallory Square, not next to the cars of A1A and much better snorkeling and overall better scenery, imho. More of a rocky/coral bottom and the water seems clearer

Just to clarify the distance to Fort Zachary from Mallory Square, it is about a mile to the entrance to the park and another 1/4 mile or so to the actual beach. It is walkable for some visitors, but be aware of the distance in case you're not a walker. Water clarity at the beaches here are very dependent on weather. After a few days of calm winds, the water is beautiful and clear. Other times, the water can be cloudy and rough.

Smather's is a decent beach to sit at, but the swimming is poor. The bottom is mucky with lots of seagrass and the water is very shallow. It is about a $15 taxi ride each way from the docks and there is a chair and rental concession.

I know some people want a beach, but keep your expectations low. If Key West had to rely on our beaches to attract visitors, this would be a pretty quiet island!

Just to clarify the distance to Fort Zachary from Mallory Square, it is about a mile to the entrance to the park and another 1/4 mile or so to the actual beach. It is walkable for some visitors, but be aware of the distance in case you're not a walker.

True. We always stay on Upper Duval and are used to the mile or so walk to Mallory - takes us about 17-20 minutes at a leisurely pace.

We tried to walk to Smathers once before but didn't make it past Higgs Beach from the Southernmost Point Guest House - it was easier to drive.....