Pre booking photograh session

Is it possible to pre -book a session with the ship's photographer. We are a group of 9 going on the Celebration this includes my daughter who is getting married on the Saturday before we go. If possible we want to book this before we go as our first day full day on board is a day at sea and would be the ideal day to have the photos done.

Alternatively does anyone have an email address for the photographs.

:D

The photographers are at/next to the check in desks on arrival at the ship and I am sure if you ask them then you will be the first to do so at that stage of the cruise and they will gladly accomodate you.

There is no direct email for the photographers on the ship as far as I am aware - only a message to the ship via reception via Thomson Head Office may get there but the issue is that your photo reservation is made to your cabin and prior to the cruise starting your cabin is in use by someone else.

I feel sure the ships photographers will oblige, just make sure of the cost before you proceed. We did the personal photo session while cruising last year and were amazed at the cost, just one B/W print was £90 - it did get a little cheaper the more you ordered - but still very expensive.

The company who do on board photo service is Ocean Images Tel 0179431818 it is probably worth giving them a ring before you go, it would seem to be the only option unless you do your own, but at least you can get some idea of the cost. I have spoken to them on this number, we had a slight problem with our photo, they did sort things out though.

Like the others are staying, I don't think you will have a problem getting a photo session on the first day - they will probably bend over backwards for you. The photography is definitely a special treat & the way they are always trying to push sales onboard they will be more than happy to oblige!!!

I would also advise you agree a price; there are different photographers franchised now to Thomson but when we had a Blessing in 2012, the Social Hostess was very cagey about prices & there were no set prices for packages for the DVD & the photos we had - it is a big money spinner for them & I really did not like the way it was all handled back then.

That was the brilliant thing on the cruise we have just been on the Oceanias Riviera. no photographers stalking you.

I have always said if they made them cheaper lots more would buy them.

Me too Jax - seems a shame that they throw so many away. I would happly buy them at half the price they charge (usuaily £12-20 each photo these days!)

the photo sessions are something different to the casual snaps that they take around the ship/with the captain/at the gangway...those photos can be purchased individually or you may be able to negotiate a disscount if you buy more than one , depending on size prices vary between about £10 upto about £19.00 each

full photo/portrait sessions can be booked with the photographers (they have a studio in what was the old destination services office on deck 6 on the dream) sessions are very expensive, they say the sessions are free as there is no obligation to buy (i think the b&w package is called 'pure' or something like?) ....but if you do buy you will effectively paying for the photo session:(

wedding packages can cost literally 100's of £'s... someone recently told us that their wedding dvd (8 minutes) cost about £40:eek:

Edited by geomagot

Like the others are staying, I don't think you will have a problem getting a photo session on the first day - they will probably bend over backwards for you. The photography is definitely a special treat & the way they are always trying to push sales onboard they will be more than happy to oblige!!!

I would also advise you agree a price; there are different photographers franchised now to Thomson but when we had a Blessing in 2012, the Social Hostess was very cagey about prices & there were no set prices for packages for the DVD & the photos we had - it is a big money spinner for them & I really did not like the way it was all handled back then.

I was going to say exactly the same thing!:)

I think they'd lick your boots at the thoughts of anyone actually wanting them to take a photo:D:D:rolleyes:

You have it in one geomagot - ours was Pure Studio - on Celebration, no need to buy. I am sure the full collection of photographs was well over £1000 even with the discount. We did buy one, it was both our 70th birthday - must have been a rush of blood to the head.

How times have changed :D

indeed linda

we got married in a bit of a rush just before i was deployed to the falklands, it cost us about £50 for use of the padre and a bunch of carnations (I still thought that was a bit dear at the time!) :rolleyes: (and then it cost about £10 on top to send the camera film away to be developed..... remember the little packets of negatives that they used to send you back....never did figure out what to do with all those negatives??)

our honeymoon was a cheap day return ferry ticket from southampton to calais (which was a special offer in the sun newspaper about £10 for 2 & the car) :cool::)

we never even had wedding rings until years later when we just happened to pass by cash converters one day and OH said those immortal marital words?? ....ohhh magot i've just had a good idea... have you got your wallet :rolleyes::)

Edited by geomagot

OMG Geo your last post has brought back many memories( re your ref to Falklands)

I worked for the Decca Navigation company at that time whilst on duty in SA

One of the chaps I worked with had a full map of the world on the wall of the dining/mess area with models of ships and aircraft moved about on a daily basis (using magnets and things) :confused:

Every day he updated that map,when he saw the broadcast on BBC re” I counted them all out and all back” he went potty and we did not see him for 3 days !:cool:

Stevie :)

Omg . memories with Decca: Ireland, Outer Hebrides(Barra) Holland, Germany, Iran, UAE,SA all beer and accommodation provided

What a lucky chap I was for 7 years, the best company to work for at the time (between 23 to 30yrs old) :)

Sorry OP well off subject, however the photos of what I have seen are in my brain for as long as it continues ;)

Geo what are negatives? :D

Stevie

It is such a waste printing all those photos that are not bought! On the Braemar, they put them on a screen and you scrolled through to find yours. I think they were trialling it on Thomson last year (can't remember if it was the Spirit or the Majesty) It would surely cut the cost by not wasting paper and ink.

I have heard they take all the unsold photos and shred them on change over day :rolleyes:

Omg . memories with Decca: Ireland, Outer Hebrides(Barra) Holland, Germany, Iran, UAE,SA all beer and accommodation provided

What a lucky chap I was for 7 years, the best company to work for at the time (between 23 to 30yrs old) :)

Sorry OP well off subject, however the photos of what I have seen are in my brain for as long as it continues

ahh.... memories eh? stevie... the things you do/get yourself into when you're young? and you dont realise until much later that you should have been paying more attention really:rolleyes:

..... you could say that was my first cruise on the p&o (a free cruise) ......transatlantic on canberra ..... we even had a band & quiz nights ... the itinerary wasnt very good tho:)

Geo what are negatives? :D

Stevie

spooky looking inside-out? back-to-front? pics stevie....kinda not any good for any purpose at all? .... the most useless item known to man ...... but you carefully keep them filed away in a drawer for years just in case you may want to look at them?? for some reason??...... which is never:confused::D

Oh how things have changed. In 1970, our entire wedding and honeymoon(2 nights in London and 4 nights in Paris) cost us £200;) How times have changed :D

SNAP! We were married in 1970 too. Anniversary in 11 days time.

Wedding photos are in black and white - couldn't afford colour in those days. How times have changed - have even been known to pay for the odd cruise now.

Malc.

SNAP! We were married in 1970 too. Anniversary in 11 days time.

Wedding photos are in black and white - couldn't afford colour in those days. How times have changed - have even been known to pay for the odd cruise now.

Malc.

Ours is September :) My brother is a photographer, but as usually happens with families, he never actually printed the photos and I had to go and get them printed in Boots. I don't think we ever got the colour ones!

I do think the photos on ships are a terrible price though. I think we bought the Captain's one on our first cruise and some on Fred when they were about £6.99. We never buy them now!

The photographers are at/next to the check in desks on arrival at the ship and I am sure if you ask them then you will be the first to do so at that stage of the cruise and they will gladly accomodate you.

There is no direct email for the photographers on the ship as far as I am aware - only a message to the ship via reception via Thomson Head Office may get there but the issue is that your photo reservation is made to your cabin and prior to the cruise starting your cabin is in use by someone else.

Thanks for the suggestion about head office, I hadn't thought about the confusion it might cause with the booking being linked to the cabin .

I feel sure the ships photographers will oblige, just make sure of the cost before you proceed. We did the personal photo session while cruising last year and were amazed at the cost, just one B/W print was £90 - it did get a little cheaper the more you ordered - but still very expensive.

The company who do on board photo service is Ocean Images Tel 0179431818 it is probably worth giving them a ring before you go, it would seem to be the only option unless you do your own, but at least you can get some idea of the cost. I have spoken to them on this number, we had a slight problem with our photo, they did sort things out though.

Thanks ormy, I will give that a go, we had a look at the prices when we were on the Dream in December so we know it won't be cheap. We wouldn't normally be paying out for professional photos but as it will be my daughter and her husbands honeymoon we wanted to get them a something special as a reminder.

I was going to say exactly the same thing!:)

I think they'd lick your boots at the thoughts of anyone actually wanting them to take a photo:D:D:rolleyes:

I think the wording I have used in my post has caused a bit of confusion. We board on the Thursday and the next day is a day at sea which is the day we are hoping to get the photos done. I wanted to pre book if possible as a present for the newly weds and to ensure that it was booked for that day in case lots of people had the same idea.