Amtrak roomlette -- specific questions

We've used Amtrak and have found it a good value; however, we've never taken the train South for a cruise. In this case, we're looking at a back-to-back, so avoiding parking fees would pay for 2/3 of the train ticket. If we take the train, we'll use use a roomlette because it's an overnight trip.

I'd appreciate any information in general, but especially these topics:

- We'd need to store our large suitcases during the train trip. How are these secured? Any precautions we could take?

- Looking at the video, it looks like the roomlettes don't lock -- is this true?

- Is it appropriate to tip the attendant in the sleeper car? If so, how much is appropriate?

Hints for a successful sleeper car trip?

On the train I was on, large suitcases were stored away in a cubby on the main level. They were not secured and could be accessed by anyone walking by, so I'd recommend bringing a luggage lock. You wouldn't need anything too fancy, just enough to keep the curious out. You should remove anything valuable and keep it with you.

The room I was in did latch, but there was no way to lock it from the outside. When I left to get food, I just closed the door assumed that everyone in my area was too travel exhausted to sneak into my room (and the attendant is nearby).

Regarding tipping - oh god I hope not, because otherwise I'd feel bad for not tipping my awesome attendant! :(

Anyway, I found sleeping in a train to be awesome, and if given the time & resources, I'd totally do it again. Good luck!

1) checked baggage (similar to the airlines but free) is available at the larger stations.

2) true, you can't lock your sleeping car room but just close the door and I can't imagine anyone stealing anything....

3) the door locks once you are inside the sleeping car

4) I always tip the sleeping car attendant when he comes by the room at the beginning of the trip....seems to help get the extra attention needed. They are great and will take good care of you

Enjoy your Amtrak journey....I love it.

• 4 weeks later...
1) checked baggage (similar to the airlines but free) is available at the larger stations.

2) true, you can't lock your sleeping car room but just close the door and I can't imagine anyone stealing anything....

3) the door locks once you are inside the sleeping car

4) I always tip the sleeping car attendant when he comes by the room at the beginning of the trip....seems to help get the extra attention needed. They are great and will take good care of you

Enjoy your Amtrak journey....I love it.

I'll just add your meals are included when you're in a sleeper.

• 2 weeks later...

love to travel by ground, especially Amtrak....please TIP the awesome men and women who look after you, especially in the sleepers (as well as coach)...we were comfortable (upper and lower sleeping was okay, but no window for the upper berth) and we were well tended to ...meals (BLD) are included in the sleeper fare...enjoy your trip, I am thinking about taking the train back home this time

Love to travel by Amtrak. I might add to carry a separate small bag such as backpack for overnight essentials --there is little storage in the roomettes. I found myself on the first trip digging into my suitcase to find pjs, toothbrush & paste, hairbrush etc. Lock your suitcase.

love to travel by ground, especially Amtrak....please TIP the awesome men and women who look after you, especially in the sleepers (as well as coach)...we were comfortable (upper and lower sleeping was okay, but no window for the upper berth) and we were well tended to ...meals (BLD) are included in the sleeper fare...enjoy your trip, I am thinking about taking the train back home this time

Why would you tip coach attendants? Would you also tip flight attendants?

• 1 year later...

I've been round trip from LA to NYC 3 times via Amtrak, in both kinds of sleepers. If you get the full sleeper, not only is food included, but the steward will bring the food to your room if you like. In the smaller rooms you don't get this benefit.

Some bags are stored in the lower level of the sleeping cars, but these tend to be carry-ons that don't fit in the room. There is separate storage for actual checked baggage in another car.

My biggest issue with the smaller sleeping quarters is: the toilet is right next to one of the chairs, and the room is really freaking tiny.

I've always tipped my steward, because that's a crappy job I'm glad I don't have.