Just off The Legend - and Alaska

mexicobob

Alaska is off the charts, incredible, fantastic. Words can not describe the beauty. The ship you are on is to a degree irrelevant as the experience is outside.

We were in Vista Suite 6260, one of the best cabins at sea. Back of the ship with wrap around balcony. Perfect for Alaska.

The ship was in good condition. Very clean. We had no complaints about anything.

There were children on the ship but were not a problem. Some were acting as children which was enjoyed by all except for perhaps a pathetic few.

Service for us was beyond 5 star. We fly 1st class. We stay in 5 star hotels. We could not have asked for better service either in the cabin or the dining room. We were traveling with other people in 5 different cabins and they all said the same.

Food was OK. Some better than other. Not a cruise if you are looking for gourmet dining. Definitely good eating to be found though. The made to order omelets are hard to beat with never a line. I would cruise again tomorrow for the salsa they have on the side.

Bacon, grilled tomatoes and the fried potato things were great at breakfast.

The hot sandwiches were good at lunch.

Would skip the lobster at dinner. The shrimp was pretty good though. Not beef eaters but fellow diners said the prime rib was good. Probably the best thing on the dinner menu, for those that like such things, was the Indian option.

Went to two shows and one comedy show. Not our thing but impressed with the effort.

We cruise Carnival because we like the live acoustic guitar music found only on Carnival. On this cruise Andy was great. Incredible classic guitarist in the afternoon but was equally as good at night with modern music. He allowed a couple of very talented passengers perform as well.

We absolutely had a fantastic time. We were in a group of 16 and all agree.

Bring gloves, hoods, layers of jackets. It is cold outside by the glaciers. You want to stay outside as much as possible.

We saw dozens of whales, some next to the ship. Hundred's of porpoises, hundred's of bald eagles, one brown bear, one moose, dozens of mountain goats including one baby hoping around on a ledge that I was sure was fixing to fall to his death. Also many birds and creatures at sea I did not know what they were.

All in all an experience of a lifetime.

Will be very glad to answer any positive questions.

Thanks Mexicobob!

My wife and I will be going to AK on the Legend on Aug 23rd, as a gift for our 25th anniversary. We enjoyed the Indian grill on the Dream several years ago (our 1st and only cruise to W. Carib.) and were wondering if the Indian option is available in the MDR during the week, or if it is on the lido deck in something like Taste of the Nations? My wife was also hoping for some bitter and blanc for dessert in the MDR :).

I think we are doing Dyea Daves bus trip to Emerald Lake in Skagway based upon reviews, and have enough time to walk the town in the hours following. Juneau is whale watching with Harv & Marv's. Both seemed like more intimate/personalized excursions than others. Hoping there are still whales in the area at that time that haven't left for Hawaii. I know someone who lives in Ketchikan, so we are likely getting the "locals only" tour there ;). Anything worth doing in Victoria with that later evening stop? Would love to know if you ate anywhere in the ports, or any other non-touristy places to enjoy while off the ship.

Thank you for your time. We appreciate it.

We'll be on Legend in 3 weeks, thank you for the update. I don't cruise for gourmet food but I do enjoy good/great food. We have always found something good at every meal on our cruises, enough so that we haven't felt the need to go to the Steakhouse. Does Legend have the American Menu or the old menu? Not sure since it had been in Australia.

We booked Chilkoot for White Pass Train/Bennett Bus combo for Skagway and the small boat in Tracy Arm. Leaning towards Blue Bus to Mendenhall in Juneau and/or Mt. Roberts Tram. May try to find a Misty Fjords flight last-minute if the weather is nice.

Undecided for Ketchikan and Victoria. Still haven't told wife/son (8) about surprise vacation: first balcony and very rare, for us, first class flights. Extra day pre/post-cruise in Seattle and everything is paid for. Let's go already!

Edited by mondello

The Legend DOES NOT have the American Table Menu at this time.

Also, for Ketchikan I would recommend the Lumberjack Show. Not too expensive and silly fun. It runs a little over an hour so still plenty of time to shop. Creek Street is an interesting venue but we were very underimpressed witht the offerings. Overpriced for sure. Go to Tongass Trading at one of it's large stores by the dock to buy better priced gifts.

. . . your review. We are scheduled to go to AK on July 12th. This is a very important cruise for us for two reasons. 1. My DH's declining health and 2. His brother and SIL's only other cruise was a short one this past winter (not sure which ship) and he was unimpressed with the food and the service.

I want this one to establish his faith in Carnival. :) The only other cruise we went on together was Grand Princess. He was very impressed with that one, especially the Ultimate Balcony Dining.

Edited by sharkaymon

Had to consult my Fun Times to be sure.

Yes, dining was moved up on Victoria night but not sure if that's why. Looking at it you're certainly right...

Victoria Night:

Early Assigned

5:00pm

Late Assigned

7:15pm

Your Time

5:00-8:30pm

Every other night of the cruise:

Early Assigned

5:30pm

Late Assigned

7:45pm

Your Time

5:30-9:00pm

Had to consult my Fun Times to be sure.

Yes, dining was moved up on Victoria night but not sure if that's why. Looking at it you're certainly right...

Victoria Night:

Early Assigned

5:00pm

Late Assigned

7:15pm

Your Time

5:00-8:30pm

Every other night of the cruise:

Early Assigned

5:30pm

Late Assigned

7:45pm

Your Time

5:30-9:00pm

What did you do in Victoria? It's such a short stop is it worth getting off the ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did you go on a whale watching excursion, and in which port is the best for wildlife viewing? Thanks

We did not do a whale watching tour but my brother went with Harv & Marv's in Juneau and saw many whales, including Orcas.

We saw wildlife everywhere from start to finish, including whales swimming next to the ship. You have to be outside and looking at the right place. Binoculars are handy.

Thanks Mexicobob!

My wife and I will be going to AK on the Legend on Aug 23rd, as a gift for our 25th anniversary. We enjoyed the Indian grill on the Dream several years ago (our 1st and only cruise to W. Carib.) and were wondering if the Indian option is available in the MDR during the week, or if it is on the lido deck in something like Taste of the Nations? My wife was also hoping for some bitter and blanc for dessert in the MDR :).

I think we are doing Dyea Daves bus trip to Emerald Lake in Skagway based upon reviews, and have enough time to walk the town in the hours following. Juneau is whale watching with Harv & Marv's. Both seemed like more intimate/personalized excursions than others. Hoping there are still whales in the area at that time that haven't left for Hawaii. I know someone who lives in Ketchikan, so we are likely getting the "locals only" tour there ;). Anything worth doing in Victoria with that later evening stop? Would love to know if you ate anywhere in the ports, or any other non-touristy places to enjoy while off the ship.

Thank you for your time. We appreciate it.

The Indian option was in the MDR on the "Always Available" page. On some nights it might have also been available in the vegetarian section.

Do not remember seeing bitter and blanc.

In Skagway we took the train up and a minivan back down with Chilkoot (sp???) tours. The train was fun.

We enjoyed the short time in Victoria. Make sure you take the bus transfer as the walk is too long and you get a mini tour. We walked around, bought a snack and beer at the waterfront. Great way to end the cruise.

We ate at several places at every port, sometimes only an appetizer and glass of wine. Options are kinda limited, especially in Skagway. We only had fish and was always good.

HIGHLY recommend Twisted Fish in Juneau. Close to where we docked. Some of the best fish (salmon, halibut) that I have eaten anywhere, ever.

It was a good cruise.

We'll be on Legend in 3 weeks, thank you for the update. I don't cruise for gourmet food but I do enjoy good/great food. We have always found something good at every meal on our cruises, enough so that we haven't felt the need to go to the Steakhouse. Does Legend have the American Menu or the old menu? Not sure since it had been in Australia.

We booked Chilkoot for White Pass Train/Bennett Bus combo for Skagway and the small boat in Tracy Arm. Leaning towards Blue Bus to Mendenhall in Juneau and/or Mt. Roberts Tram. May try to find a Misty Fjords flight last-minute if the weather is nice.

Undecided for Ketchikan and Victoria. Still haven't told wife/son (8) about surprise vacation: first balcony and very rare, for us, first class flights. Extra day pre/post-cruise in Seattle and everything is paid for. Let's go already!

First class flights are nice.

The small boat tour in Tracy Arm is fantastic. We went to Endcott Glacier instead because Tracy Arm was blocked by ice. Saw whales, large brown bear and the glacier calving several times. They bring a piece of blue ice on board that you can look at and touch, and make margaritas with.

In Juneau went on a glacier landing with Coastal helicopters. Probably the greatest experience of my life. Totally incredible. And cold.

Bring gloves, hoods and warm jackets for the Tracy arm tour.

What did you do in Victoria? It's such a short stop is it worth getting off the ship?

Worth getting off the ship.

Take the transfer (REQUIRED in my opinion, as the walk is long) and you get a mini tour. We walked around a very nice town and ended up at the waterfront and had a flight of very good Canadian beer and good appetizers. A good way to end the cruise for us.

We walked to Fisherman's Wharf (left on the path as you enter Victoria) and found the 10 minute walk nice. The weather was very nice, though. We had a bite at Barb's Fish and Chip's (yum) and liesurely strolled back.

MUST DO in Skagway>>>

If you love coffee, as we do, make sure to stop at Bites on Broadway. It's a small cafe on the main drag near the Skagway Brewing Company. We make our own latte's every morning and have sought them out on all our travels. They made us the BEST iced caramel lattes we've ever had. They were so good we were at the end of our day and tired but walked all the way back up the street (away from the ship) just to have another. If we go to Alaska again I'll book this as an excursion! (that good) :)

Edited by musikfans

Can you recommend a hotel in Seattle?

What time were you off the ship on the return home?

We stayed at Inn at the Market for two days prior to cruise and one day after. The location is great as is across the street from Pike Place Market. The view borders on being a spiritual experience. Will remember it on my death bed.

Make sure you get at least a partial water view room.

We got off the ship about 9:30 so as to not be dragged off as we were some of the last ones on board. Since we had a suite we could have gotten off about 7. We stayed until the sweet end.

Did you attend any of the naturalists talks that there were?

I meant to, but never made it.

On the day we went to Tracy Arms she pretty much talked off and on the whole day over the speakers so the whole ship could hear. She was good and knew her stuff. She would call out where the whales and other wildlife were.

We did the Tracy Arms small boat tour and she did a presentation before we got on the boat and answered questions. Seemed to be a nice person.

We were on this cruise as well. With all the stuff I read on this board, I expected to endure some of it. I have no clue who these people are that complain. I have slept in Monument Valley. I have walked in Yosemite. I have hiked the White Mountains. I have seen all kinds of wonders. This cruise and especially all things Carnival surpasses them all. I texted my sister near the end of the cruise and told her, "put me in the ground, there is no topping this". We loved our cruise. Carnival was beyond perfect.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

We were on this cruise as well. With all the stuff I read on this board, I expected to endure some of it. I have no clue who these people are that complain. I have slept in Monument Valley. I have walked in Yosemite. I have hiked the White Mountains. I have seen all kinds of wonders. This cruise and especially all things Carnival surpasses them all. I texted my sister near the end of the cruise and told her, "put me in the ground, there is no topping this". We loved our cruise. Carnival was beyond perfect.

Love hearing this!!! :)