Anyone going to the Antarctic soon?

wha3454

Hello,

I am a sand collector from the states. I have sand from almost every country except Antarctica. I dont know if these expeditions stop at all, but if they do I will be more than happe to pay for some sand/soil from this continent. Contact me wha345@gmail.com

Hello,

I am a sand collector from the states. I have sand from almost every country except Antarctica. I dont know if these expeditions stop at all, but if they do I will be more than happe to pay for some sand/soil from this continent.

The rule is you take nothing away other than memories and photographs...

• 2 weeks later...
What rule? All that the WHA want is a handful of sand from a continent that is bigger than Europe. Why would anyone care?

Everyone that goes there cares. Everyone signs an agreement that they will not remove anything from the continent.

Anyone who cant respect that doesnt deserve to set foot on the continent.

Have a read of the IAATO website and you might understand a little more.

Everyone that goes there cares. Everyone signs an agreement that they will not remove anything from the continent.

Anyone who cant respect that doesnt deserve to set foot on the continent.

Have a read of the IAATO website and you might understand a little more.

Thank you for the information about IAATO. I’ve read through it, and it looks like that trips to Antarctica leave very little impact on the visited places. Congratulations should go to people like you and others.

And I think that this is good. Antarctic environment is rather precious and surprisingly fragile. It makes sense that we as humans do not abuse it. It makes sense to respect nature and to treat it accordingly.

However, what does not make sense is some sort of a ban on getting a handful of sand or rocks from a continent that is almost twice as big as Australia. I simply do not understand why it is OK for OP to obtain a handful of sand from “almost every country”, but it is not OK to obtain it from Antarctica. Are places in Africa, or South America, or Europe, any less special than Antarctica?

A handful of sand or rocks wont make any difference to Antarctica. As a matter of fact, a company could transport tons rocks from Antarctica to other parts of the world on daily basis, and it would not make any difference to the environment of Antarctica.

And why is it OK for us to dig millions of tons of rocks and sand in Fimiston Open Pit in our backyard, yet someone a person looking to honor a faraway place collecting a handful of rocks and sand from Antarctica should be banished from the continent? This does not make sense.

Or am I mistaken?

Did you know it is allegal in the UK to take sand off a beach. Anyway your pocketful might not cause concern but then where do you draw the line. Safest all round to stop anything leaving the great white continent. Just respect the rules.

The fact that sand (or any other resource) has already been exploited in many countries, does not mean that resources should be exploited in Antarctica.

The continent's pristine state is Man's one chance not to rip it apart for our own benefit. It will be a challenge.

And if "it's only a handful", then OK, it's not the end of the world. But it won't be one handful - it will be a handful for anyone who wants it.

Have a look at coral reefs, where people thought it a good idea to take a little bit home as a souvenir. It couldn't do any harm, could it?

And the OP is not asking for sand to "honor" the continent - they are doing it because they like collecting sand. They have little or no interest in Antarctica - they just want to finish their collection.

The fact that sand (or any other resource) has already been exploited in many countries, does not mean that resources should be exploited in Antarctica.

The continent's pristine state is Man's one chance not to rip it apart for our own benefit. It will be a challenge.

And if "it's only a handful", then OK, it's not the end of the world. But it won't be one handful - it will be a handful for anyone who wants it.

Have a look at coral reefs, where people thought it a good idea to take a little bit home as a souvenir. It couldn't do any harm, could it?

And the OP is not asking for sand to "honor" the continent - they are doing it because they like collecting sand. They have little or no interest in Antarctica - they just want to finish their collection.

Thumbs up - couldnt have said it better !

Just how do you 'honour' a continent by asking someone to break an agreement and remove sand from it? And why would you want sand from a continent you haven't visited anyway?

• 1 month later...
Just how do you 'honour' a continent by asking someone to break an agreement and remove sand from it? And why would you want sand from a continent you haven't visited anyway?

Couldn't Agree more! Would never dream of taking anything from the land away!

BTW It's also forbidden to take, sand, soil, plant material, rocks, shells from many places in the world, not just Antarctica..

What rule? All that the WHA want is a handful of sand from a continent that is bigger than Europe. Why would anyone care?

A handful of sand or rocks wont make any difference to Antarctica. As a matter of fact, a company could transport tons rocks from Antarctica to other parts of the world on daily basis, and it would not make any difference to the environment of Antarctica.

And why is it OK for us to dig millions of tons of rocks and sand in Fimiston Open Pit in our backyard, yet someone a person looking to honor a faraway place collecting a handful of rocks and sand from Antarctica should be banished from the continent? This does not make sense.

Or am I mistaken?

One very important reason for not taking anything from Antarctica is that

the Penquin "droppings" are very toxic. You "souvenir" could be contaminated.

Our boots were cleaned three times.

1) Before we boarded the Zodiac.

2) As we reboarded the ship; with bleach.

3) We carried our boots back to our Cabin, to be cleaned, with bleach, again.

Archived