Snorkel trip to Anguilla from St Maarten?

evandbob

I've spent a few weeks on St Maarten and stopped there several times as a cruise port, so I'm somewhat familiar with the island.

I'm thinking of trying a day trip to Anguilla when the Carnival Freedom ports in December 2014. I'm imagining it would be somewhat similar to a cat sail from St Kitts to Nevis that I did several years back.

Anyone island hop from St Maarten to Anguilla? One company I'm looking at is St Thomas Excursions/ Swaliga2 Anguilla Snorkel Extravaganza. Anyone out there who's attempted this? Three snorkel/beach stops for $99, lunch available for an extra $19, must have passport, claims to return by 4PM, Freedom leaves @ 6 that evening.

• 3 weeks later...
I've spent a few weeks on St Maarten and stopped there several times as a cruise port, so I'm somewhat familiar with the island.

I'm thinking of trying a day trip to Anguilla when the Carnival Freedom ports in December 2014. I'm imagining it would be somewhat similar to a cat sail from St Kitts to Nevis that I did several years back.

Anyone island hop from St Maarten to Anguilla? One company I'm looking at is St Thomas Excursions/ Swaliga2 Anguilla Snorkel Extravaganza. Anyone out there who's attempted this? Three snorkel/beach stops for $99, lunch available for an extra $19, must have passport, claims to return by 4PM, Freedom leaves @ 6 that evening.

I didn't do this excursion, but I did stay in Anguilla for 10 days and it is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L well the beaches and water are. If you have already been to St. Maarteen, check out Anguilla. I don't think you would be dissapointed. I think I may check out this excursion myself

I didn't do this excursion, but I did stay in Anguilla for 10 days and it is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L well the beaches and water are. If you have already been to St. Maarteen, check out Anguilla. I don't think you would be dissapointed. I think I may check out this excursion myself

Thanks so much for your reply. I haven't received an email back from the tour operator, so I went ahead and booked La Plage Beach Break instead. Anguilla will still be on my bucket list, and I'll probably get there either from my next St Maarten land vacation or like you did, a direct booking with a resort on Anguilla.

While I like Orient Beach, and lots of other beaches on St Maarten, I really wanted to have a 1st time experience in port, hence La Plage.

Thanks so much for your reply. I haven't received an email back from the tour operator, so I went ahead and booked La Plage Beach Break instead. Anguilla will still be on my bucket list, and I'll probably get there either from my next St Maarten land vacation or like you did, a direct booking with a resort on Anguilla.

While I like Orient Beach, and lots of other beaches on St Maarten, I really wanted to have a 1st time experience in port, hence La Plage.

Which beach is this? Doesn't La Plage mean "the beach"? I know where Petite Plage is though, that beach is in Grand Case.

Which beach is this? Doesn't La Plage mean "the beach"? I know where Petite Plage is though, that beach is in Grand Case.

I'm guessing, but could be wrong, the beach the poster may be talking about is the Royal Islander Club La Plage in Maho Bay, which is a resort I often pass by, when walking on Maho Beach.

I'm guessing, but could be wrong, the beach the poster may be talking about is the Royal Islander Club La Plage in Maho Bay, which is a resort I often pass by, when walking on Maho Beach.

If that is the case then I can't recommend a tour to Maho. Much cheaper to bus or taxi and rent a beach chair on your own.

• 2 weeks later...
If that is the case then I can't recommend a tour to Maho. Much cheaper to bus or taxi and rent a beach chair on your own.

The beach is in the north part of the island, so it can't be Maho. Taxi takes 30 mins average to get there. Lunch is pan seared jumbo shrimp and smoked salmon, passion fruit dressing. A few drinks, lounger, and RT transport included.

Offered by St Maarten Cruise Excursions.

The beach is in the north part of the island, so it can't be Maho. Taxi takes 30 mins average to get there. Lunch is pan seared jumbo shrimp and smoked salmon, passion fruit dressing. A few drinks, lounger, and RT transport included.

Offered by St Maarten Cruise Excursions.

From the pictures it looks like Anse Marcel to me. $30 each way to Anse Marcel for 2 via taxi. I like this beach it is a beautiful cove. Two resorts and some condos plus beautiful villas and a couple of small hotels in the hills. We stayed in a small hotel up in the hills and had charging privileges at La Domaine resort on the beach. If I played the lottery and won I would purchase a villa in this area. It's my favourite area on the island. The write up talks about Oprah and Sly Stallone living near here so that is the only part that has me questioning my guess. I was given a map while touring the lagoon by mini boat showing where their homes were on the Simpson Bay lagoon. Anse Marcel is not anywhere near the lagoon but Maho is close by.

Ok I just googled Anse Marcel and yes the picture on the excursion website is indeed Anse Marcel beach. I think for $83 it looks like a nice relaxing way to spend a day on the island. Please come back and let us know how you liked it. :)

Edited by Karysa

Karysa, I'll post something about this excursion in January, after this cruise and some time in Playa del Carmen. Hopefully it will be a positive review. I just wanted to do something different on St Maarten, as I originally said I've been there a few weeks on previous vacations.

Karysa, I'll post something about this excursion in January, after this cruise and some time in Playa del Carmen. Hopefully it will be a positive review. I just wanted to do something different on St Maarten, as I originally said I've been there a few weeks on previous vacations.

That sounds good. Thanks. :)

• 6 months later...
From the pictures it looks like Anse Marcel to me. $30 each way to Anse Marcel for 2 via taxi. I like this beach it is a beautiful cove. Two resorts and some condos plus beautiful villas and a couple of small hotels in the hills. We stayed in a small hotel up in the hills and had charging privileges at La Domaine resort on the beach. If I played the lottery and won I would purchase a villa in this area. It's my favourite area on the island. The write up talks about Oprah and Sly Stallone living near here so that is the only part that has me questioning my guess. I was given a map while touring the lagoon by mini boat showing where their homes were on the Simpson Bay lagoon. Anse Marcel is not anywhere near the lagoon but Maho is close by.

Ok I just googled Anse Marcel and yes the picture on the excursion website is indeed Anse Marcel beach. I think for $83 it looks like a nice relaxing way to spend a day on the island. Please come back and let us know how you liked it. :)

Karysa:

The "secret luxury" resort was indeed Anse Marcel. We had 4 ships in port, including the Norwegian Getaway and the MSC Divina. I figured maybe 10,000 cruisers, and I was the only one to pick this excursion. I joined some other cruisers at the Twin Island meet spot, they were let off at Oyster Bay and Orient Beach. My van continued on to Anse Marcel. I arrived about 11AM, had a welcome mocktail, and stayed under cover waiting for a drizzle to end. When it did, I walked the small beach, there is now a Rui Hotel at the other end. I wasn't impressed with the beach in front of Anse Marcel, it was very rocky, but the Rui beach looked sandier. I had lunch, a very nice salad with 5 jumbo grilled shrimp and some smoked salmon. I then relaxed on a padded lounger until it was time to get picked up for the return to port. A most relaxing, hassle free and totally enjoyable day!

Karysa:

The "secret luxury" resort was indeed Anse Marcel. We had 4 ships in port, including the Norwegian Getaway and the MSC Divina. I figured maybe 10,000 cruisers, and I was the only one to pick this excursion. I joined some other cruisers at the Twin Island meet spot, they were let off at Oyster Bay and Orient Beach. My van continued on to Anse Marcel. I arrived about 11AM, had a welcome mocktail, and stayed under cover waiting for a drizzle to end. When it did, I walked the small beach, there is now a Rui Hotel at the other end. I wasn't impressed with the beach in front of Anse Marcel, it was very rocky, but the Rui beach looked sandier. I had lunch, a very nice salad with 5 jumbo grilled shrimp and some smoked salmon. I then relaxed on a padded lounger until it was time to get picked up for the return to port. A most relaxing, hassle free and totally enjoyable day!

Yes the Radisson is now an AI RIU. Going out at night to the restaurants around the island is a big part of the charm of vacationing on St. Maarten so I would not like to stay at an AI there.

I have never experienced rocks at Anse Marcel Beach myself. I love the area by the Radisson but have swam by the La Domaine resort and it was nice there as well.

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. We stayed in a resort up at the top near the left when looking at the water. It's called the Marquis Hotel and it was a lovely, quiet place with fabulous service and breathtaking views.

A little Isand trivia for you. The 1st President Bush and the Prime Minister of France had a meeting on that beach when the RIU was a very beautiful and luxurious Hotel. There is only one road in and out so it was easy to secure. The PM arrived in St. Martin via the Concord.

Thanks for coming back and sharing.:)

I am thinking of going of booking this excursion please can you tell me the following.

Where does the transport pick you from near the dock (I hace walking difficulty)

How long do you get at the resort, we are in port from 8 - 4 on Oasis and I would like to maximise our beach time.

Just how rocky is the beach and are water shoes required.

Thank you to anyone who can help with these questions.

Jo

I am thinking of going of booking this excursion please can you tell me the following.

Where does the transport pick you from near the dock (I hace walking difficulty)

How long do you get at the resort, we are in port from 8 - 4 on Oasis and I would like to maximise our beach time.

Just how rocky is the beach and are water shoes required.

Thank you to anyone who can help with these questions.

Jo

Ms Jo UK:

After you get off the pier, you may have to walk about 100 yards to the meet point.

You will use shared transport to the resort, time in transit depends on how many other stops are made. I arrive about 11AM and left at 3:15PM. Return does depend on how many ships are in port and the expected traffic load. You don't want to watch your ship leave port while you are stalled in a traffic jam! There was still time to browse through the shops/stalls near the port if one desired.

Bring water shoes, the rocks began about waist deep water.