Amenities to expect with Family Suite?

jeliza11

I'm new(ish) to cruising and we sprung for the Family Suite on a Norwegian ship. We've done a very cheap cruise before with the lowest possible costs & amenities, so this is a HUGE step up for us and we're not wanting to waste it. Could someone fill us in on all the benefits to expect with a Family Suite/Ultimate Dining Package so we can make the most of the opportunity?!

Butler service

Concierge service

Welcome aboard bottle of sparkling wine

Welcome aboard flower arrangement

Never ending fruit bowl

Elemis bathroom amenties: shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion, body wash

seashell bath salts

Pillow menu (from your butler)

4 TV's and 2 DVD players - 1 DVD player in living room and 1 DVD player in MBR and library of DVD's to borrow if you wish (although these tend to be older DVD's so I always bring my own.)

1 large complimentary bottle of water

nightly turn down chocolates

menus for all the specialty restaurants as well as suite room service menu to order from your butler. BTW: Place a standing order for every afternoon. We typically get cheese and crackers plus a turkey sandwich along with whatever else the butler is bringing and a bottle of wine. He can also bring cocktails). In Europe we place the breakfast order with the butler in the late afternoon before.

On some ships there are binoculars, but they are usually worn out, so I'd bring my own.

Lavazza coffee machine and accoutrements

napkins, forks, knifes, spoons and plates for in=room dining

Mini bar (not included)

Bathrobes

normal wooden hangers

Invitation to cocktail gathering with ship's officers

Butler on speed dial and sometimes a cellphone to take with to call the butler (depends on ship)

hairdryer

cotton balls and cotton swabs

Breakfast and lunch in a special restaurant for suite guests - it is FABULOUS - definitely try it!

On newer ships - Epic and newer - there is a dedicated restaurant and bar for suite guests.

If your Family Suite is titled The Haven Family Villa, then you get access to The Haven Pool, sun deck and hot tubs as well (newer ships). If it is titled 2-Bedroom Family Suite with Balcony (Jewel class and earlier ships) then you don't get access to The Haven.

The Master bathroom is WONDERFUL with a tub next to a window and even the huge walk in shower has a window. Basically, I think you will be addicted and expect your next booking will be in a The Haven accommodation! It really is super great!

With the UDP, prebook the restaurants you want to eat at. I highly recommend Le Bistro - I would do that at least twice. Cagney's is great also. If you are a family and like teppanyaki type cooking, NCL does a good job of this and if you are on Jewel class, it is always sold out so pre-book. Moderno is also very good with a massive salad bar and all the meat you can handle. I could tell you a lot more if I knew which ship you are on. The only specialty restaurant I don't really love has been La Cucina. I can't figure out why NCL can't do Italian food right, but it's kind of like Olive Garden. If you are familiar with real Italian food, you won't like it at all. If you are only familiar with Americanized fake Italian food you might think this is good. Sushi is an al la carte charge depending on what your order.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

I am guessing Suite Traveler's list is from the NCL website, which would also commonly have this info. I know other cruise lines commonly have this info on their website, along with pictures and other info.

Edited by CruiserBruce

SuiteTraveler,

Thank you so much for the comprehensive list (with comments). That was exactly what I was looking for. We're on a Jewel boat, so no Haven this time, but excellent info for the future.

We have seen the basic list on the Norwegian page, but I was wanting some personal feedback on what the Butler provides & how to make the most of the experience and the money spent from others' personal experiences.