Embera Tours Panama

chikina63

Our ship will be in Cristobal in November from 9am till 6pm. Is it enough time to visit Embera Village taking into consideration travel time by car and then canoe and back. Tour looks attractive, however want to make sure timely return to the ship.

I have contacted Garceth Cunampio authentic Embrea guide. Do you know anything about his tour? Is it much different from the ships tour? They all seems to offer the same program. With Gartceth tour it takes 1:15 by car then 1:45 by canoe. I would think tour with him promise to be more interesting, but I am concerned with timing.

You absolutely have enough time! A ship's tour is one option. Private tours are another option. All are not the same. There are several small villages scattered in the Chagres National Park jungle usually about 120-150 people in each village. When the Canal was turned over to Panama most of the Chagres area was turned into a national park and the Embera people were not allowed to continue hunting and farming in their traditional manner, so they turned to tourism to survive. Some of the farther out villages are more authentic than the closer in villages because the farther out villages get fewer tourists. I don't know the tour operator you mention. You can check on this board and on line and see what kind of experiences others have had. I do know Anne Gordon, a gringa who is married to an Embera guy. They do tours to their village and have been doing it for years. They know their way around Panama City and it is a great experience. All of the independent tour operators know the city, the traffic, and know they need to get their customers back to the ship on time or they will be out of business. [Emberavillagetours.com]

Regards, Richard

picture1.jpg?w=584&h=400

Have to ask for your opinion which tour to take. Private tours (checked with Anne Gordon and Garceth Cunampio) are more expensive, but according to tour description include the same as a ship's tour. Money is not a huge issue, however why to pay more for the same kind of tour, or there is something I don't know. Please advise.

Cost probably has a lot to do with the number of people on the tour. Doing a tour for just one or two or four people is more expensive than doing a tour for 30-35 people. Since Anne's family live in the village she visits, obviously it is a more personal and "private" tour than a ship's tour. If you are on a ship that is turning around in Gatun Lake, dropping folks off for ship's tours, then you are limited to a ship tour. Regards, Richard

• 1 month later...
What kind of weather can I expect mid to the end of September doing this kind of tour?

Panama is 9 degrees off the Equator so it's always hot and humid in the lowlands. September is one of our rainiest months, so expect some rain. Not necessarily a "rainy day" but a downpour sometime, probably in the afternoon. Rain is a fact of life this time of year, but don't let it discourage you. It's warm rain, no big deal and life goes on. Take a rain poncho and wear shoes that you don't mind getting wet or muddy. I've seen folks come back to the ship looking like drowned rats with big smiles on their faces saying, "Richard, that was the best tour ... ever!" A big plus is that there should be lots of water in the river enabling you to easily reach the more remote, authentic villages like Embera Puru.

Regards, Richard

Richard...

Years ago when I did the Panama Canal cruise, we stopped at the San Blas Islands to see the San Blas people.

It was an amazing trip and my daughters still remember the San Blas people and their island.

Are they still there and doing well?

I wish we were going there again in January.

Don

PS: I did a review of your book on Amazon....hope you are pleased. :)

Best Regards,

Don

Richard...

Years ago when I did the Panama Canal cruise, we stopped at the San Blas Islands to see the San Blas people.

It was an amazing trip and my daughters still remember the San Blas people and their island.

Are they still there and doing well?

I wish we were going there again in January.

Don

PS: I did a review of your book on Amazon....hope you are pleased.

VERY pleased! Glad you liked the book: thank you! Have a wonderful trip! Regards, Richard

VERY pleased! Glad you liked the book: thank you! Have a wonderful trip! Regards, Richard

Hey Richard....

Glad you enjoyed my review....I meant every word that I wrote! :)

I am sharing the interesting facts and educating my roll call on the Panama Canal using your book's information. I mentioned your book on my roll call.

So what is the story on the San Blas people. Are they still a viable tribe. I know they depended on the cruise tourism in the 80's for help ecomomically. I hope they are doing well.

I will never forget our experience on their island! :)

Regards,

Don

So what is the story on the San Blas people. Are they still a viable tribe. I know they depended on the cruise tourism in the 80's for help ecomomically. I hope they are doing well.

The folks living on the San Blas islands are the Kuna or Cuna and now Guna Indigenous group. Although comparitively small in number, they are a very powerful political force in Panama.In the 1920s they actually went to war with Panama to establish their independent area known as Kuna Yala, or now Guna Yala. Only a few cruise ships call at the San Blas islands. The usual reason is that the Guna leaders felt the ships were causing the erosion of their traditional culture, which I'm sure is true, but I suspect there was also the issue of how much revenue the local Guna people were actually getting off the cruise ship visits.

Regards, Richard

Thank you Richard...

It was interesting how they made money from the cruise ships back 30 years ago.

They sold embroidered tee-shirts and charged a few bucks to take a picture with them with their parrots and other animals.

They also had dugout canoes and the kids would come up to the ship and passengers would throw money (coins) overboard and they would dive for them.

Regards,

Don

I have contacted Garceth Cunampio authentic Embrea guide. Do you know anything about his tour? Is it much different from the ships tour? They all seems to offer the same program. With Gartceth tour it takes 1:15 by car then 1:45 by canoe. I would think tour with him promise to be more interesting, but I am concerned with timing.

I was just getting ready to post almost the exact same thing. I will be arriving in Colon though. I really, really prefer to go to one of the villages that's further out, but not at the expense of missing my ship. :eek:

You absolutely have enough time! A ship's tour is one option. Private tours are another option. All are not the same. There are several small villages scattered in the Chagres National Park jungle usually about 120-150 people in each village. When the Canal was turned over to Panama most of the Chagres area was turned into a national park and the Embera people were not allowed to continue hunting and farming in their traditional manner, so they turned to tourism to survive. Some of the farther out villages are more authentic than the closer in villages because the farther out villages get fewer tourists. I don't know the tour operator you mention. You can check on this board and on line and see what kind of experiences others have had. I do know Anne Gordon, a gringa who is married to an Embera guy. They do tours to their village and have been doing it for years. They know their way around Panama City and it is a great experience. All of the independent tour operators know the city, the traffic, and know they need to get their customers back to the ship on time or they will be out of business. [Emberavillagetours.com]

Regards, Richard

picture1.jpg?w=584&h=400

The was the other tour company I contacted. Both seem really good. About how long was the canoe time and was this during rainy season or dry season (rainy season is much quicker)? About haw many tourists were there when you went? Thanks in advance.