QCity and Montmorency Falls on our own

Trying to decide exactly what to do and see -- hate excursions and prefer to do it on our own when possible. We dock at 7 and leave at 5 - so that gives us aprox 8-4 to site-see.

I've read and searched on this board for weeks - thank you so much for the helpful advice! Now I am trying to narrow options and would like your opinion.

Thinking that we can take a taxi to Montmorency Falls right from the cruise dock area...seems I read it is about 20 minutes and about $25 US (???would you agree??). Then it's possible to easily get a #50/#800 city bus back to the city. We would like to spend some time at the falls to walk/hike a bit -- we always enjoy getting out of the main cities when we cruise. This looks like the best place to do that with pretty scenery and close enough to spend just a few hours in the morning.

After we return we wanted to see Le Chateau Frontenac and walk around that area -- ride the funicular down and walk around Old Town and then back to the ship.

For those who've been to QC, what do you think?

Is there a better idea of walking/hiking a bit in this area other than the M Falls?

Also, noticed there is a 'hop on and off' bus and wondered if we took it around one time without getting off (time factor!) if we'd enjoy the sites on it after returning to the city... not sure how much time it would take and would like to see Old Town as we walk back to ship.

Thanks so much for your help.

Edited by travelingla
formatting

We were in Quebec overnight last month and took the #800 bus to the falls. It was an unscheduled overnight on the Maasdam so we were berthed at the far away dock (near the farmer's market and train station). Picking up the #800 near the train station was easy and the falls were at the end of the bus route.

I think you could easily catch the bus a little closer to the old city, assuming you'll be docked at the normal place.

There is no signage where the bus route ends to find the falls, however. The bus driver told us to walk through a gate in a fence (to the right of the bus stop) and then follow the trail to the top of the falls. There are some trails and you can take stairs to the bottom of the falls, plus a bridge across the falls.

We maybe spent a couple hours there and then took the bus back.

Thank you so much for the details!!!

Ok - I have to ask -- you were on the Maasdam and had an 'unscheduled' overnigfht in QC?????

I'd love to know what happened to cause the over night? We will be on the Maasdam as well.... would actually love to overnight there - -but not at the expense of a missed port elsewhere.....

We are a going to be in Quebec in August and have an overnight stay there. We are planning to cycle to the falls. Apparently there is a flat easy cycle path all the way to the falls and it only takes about an hour to get there.

We are going to rent bikes from cyclo services who are close to the train station/place de la gare.

Ok - I have to ask -- you were on the Maasdam and had an 'unscheduled' overnigfht in QC?????

I'd love to know what happened to cause the over night? We will be on the Maasdam as well.... would actually love to overnight there - -but not at the expense of a missed port elsewhere.....

Yes... We had the unscheduled overnight. The issue from what we were told was that they needed an extended stay to allow divers to replace a propeller seal. Supposedly it had been damaged the previous cruise due to getting some lobster pot ropes tangled on the propellers.

It was unfortunate that we missed out on Charlottetown, however the extra day in QC was a lot better than just an extra sea day.

Apparently there is a flat easy cycle path all the way to the falls and it only takes about an hour to get there.

We are going to rent bikes from cyclo services who are close to the train station/place de la gare.

Not sure how 'flat' it is since the train station is at river level and the falls are at a pretty good elevation. I remember that the bus was going slightly uphill the entire time. It's a relatively gradual slope, but it didn't look flat.

It really depends where you want to view the Falls. From the top or the base - the base is at the St Lawrence River level - the Falls are downtown river from Quebec City so technically it is downhill to the Falls.

The main viewing platform for the Falls is at the top of the Falls - that's where the gondola from river level takes you - you can also drive to the upper viewing platform - buses go there.

When I was there last year I climbed up the 450 + stairs from the base to the top of the Falls rather than take the gondola to the top.

The bike route that is recommended will take you to the base.

Hope this helps and if I am wrong on any of this I am sure that some of the locals will correct me.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 10 months later...

We actually ended up taking a taxi -- he 'made us a deal' that was less than any of the excursions.

He dropped us off for an hour -- he gave us a choice of how long and I think 1 1/2 hours would have been better so we did not have to rush - but it was quite chilly and windy so the hour was good.

He took us back to the Parliament and dropped us off so we could walk around and go to Old Town.

It worked out great.

• 3 weeks later...

Old Quebec is very, very easy to walk around. You will have no trouble seeing everything you want to see.

You may find more info about Quebec cruises on the Canada/New England board...this board is for the Pacific coast cruises.

Enjoy!