wheelchairs and le havre

littlerachet

Have any wheelchair users been to le Havre? We are going soon and we have been told by P&O that there are no wheelchair accessible tours or taxis. I don't know if we will even be allowed out of the port as information on line says they don't like to let you walk to town from the port you have to pay for the shuttle (and I don't know if this is wheelchair accessible)

Also, if we can only do a walking tour of le Havre, I did fancy the Malraux Museum but we are going to call on a Sunday, so I don't think much is even open on a Sunday. HELP --- Any one with knowledge?????

I have been to Le Havre several years ago. Back then I was using a rollator. Can your DH transfer to a car? If the answer is yes you can arrange a private tour. We went to the Normandy beaches and had no trouble. The cruise line (Princess for us) used large buses for all their tours and as even then I was having trouble with steps I could not do any of their excursions. I saw no lift equipped vehicles. The firm I used (handmaidtours) no longer does tours from the cruise ships so you will need to google to see if someone can help you. I have heard that townandcountrytours is responsive to e-mails but I have not used them. Good luck with finding someone to help you.

You don't state if it's an electric wheelchair or a standard wheelchair. If it's electric and even if your husband is able to transfer the taxis won;t be able to handle the chair. Tranfering into a Taxi only works with a collapsalbe standard wheelchair. If he's able to use a taxi the musuem is accessible to a point. Check out the La Harve Tourism site for more information.

I use a manual wheelchair and was in the port of LeHavre in Sept 2008. I had my heart set on seeing Paris when I was there, but this is my experience with this port.

There really is nothing around the port, and to get into the city it is a long walk. The port itself has a welcome centre with a little gift shop where you can buy souvenirs (mini eiffel towers, postcards etc). It also has a Rental Car counter. *which is what I did, and an option if your or companion can drive.

I would not recommend driving to Paris though.. it was a little stressful getting there and back to the ship in the limited time that we had. Very nice to see the countryside though, but driving in the city of Paris was a little scary. You could likely drive to the Normandy Beaches without too much trouble though. If you do this, make sure to ask for a GPS!

Other than that, I am in agreeance with the others that a Private Car and Tour would be your best option.

Archived